Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #46 of 6,012
All the attention so far has been on resolution and detail. My question is how engaging and musical is it? Call me crazy but I prefer the "lesser" Atticus and Eikon to the VC, despite the VC's higher technical ceiling. I just find them more fun to listen to. Will Dan steer back towards musicality as a priority, as he did with his earlier creations (Mad Dog, Pro, and Alpha Prime), or go for a colder, more sterile profile like many of the Ether releases? To be fair I do think the Ether 2 did a decent job with being neutral yet engaging. But it's still not a set I'd choose for musical enjoyment when there's an HD650 or Atticus around. Can't wait to try them at CanJam SoCal!

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #48 of 6,012
I should probably note we spent considerable time listening through a Chord Electronics Hugo 2 on the go and a Hugo TT 2/M-Scaler stack as a desktop rig. So if you have something that can drive headphones like the SUSVARA with ease, don't be afraid to throw the Stealth at it.
What are the tonal/timbre main differences between these and the ZMF VC?

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 6,012
Promo photo shows it plugged into a DAP. That's a good tease. But I can't tell which DAP and haven't seen the Stealth specs yet. DC doesn't usually promote the specs so it will be up to the review people to help us know the proper/optimal pairings. Looking forward to the reviews!

As @AxelCloris mentioned, it's not a difficult headphone to drive, but I'd recommend a dedicated amp or player for sure. In terms of sensitivity, it takes around 370 mVrms to reach 94 dBSPL (1 Pa) at 1 kHz.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #51 of 6,012
Extremely impressive frequency response. Too bad it's 4,000 dollars, closed back, and over 400g. I understand that a small boutique company like DCA has to make up for the significant R&D they put into the project, but 4,000 is still quite hefty.

I'm going to wait for an open back version because I just know it's going to be a thing eventually. Maybe by then I'll have obscene amounts of disposable income as well! --- probably not.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #52 of 6,012
With the compact and foldable design this shouldn't be a hard to drive headphone, if that's the case this will be very tempting! Closed back, portable and cool design with supposedly TOTL sound quality. Too many interesting new stuff this year, my wallet is getting anxious.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #53 of 6,012
Just an FYI so yall don't emabres yourself, DCA does not have their own showroom so call your local stores

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #54 of 6,012
Just an FYI so yall don't emabres yourself, DCA does not have their own showroom so call your local stores
They show out of a spot in Torrence where you can sit with their gear.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #55 of 6,012
They show out of a spot in Torrence where you can sit with their gear.

Lol, yup. I called the source and he said they were working on it but not sure if yhey would have a demo yet or not

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #58 of 6,012
Extremely impressive frequency response. Too bad it's 4,000 dollars, closed back, and over 400g. I understand that a small boutique company like DCA has to make up for the significant R&D they put into the project, but 4,000 is still quite hefty.

I'm going to wait for an open back version because I just know it's going to be a thing eventually. Maybe by then I'll have obscene amounts of disposable income as well! --- probably not.

I mean the Stellia are heavier at 435g, and Verite Closed will range from like 450g to 700g for some of the denser woods without magnesium chassis, so I'm not sure the weight is a good enough reason to dismiss the price tag/headphone. At 415g, with that headband and pad design, I'm sure Stealth's comfort wont be an issue for most people.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #59 of 6,012
Looks like some novel and interesting technology went into these cans. Very much looking forward to hearing them at the upcoming CanJam LA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back