DAP Recommendation between Fiio M11 Plus ESS version, iBasso DX240 and iBasso DX300
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ohrbegd

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, I want to upgrade my DAP. Currently, I am using Hiby R3 Pro Saber and trying to elevate my experience to the higher degree. I am considering between Fiio M11 Plus ESS version, iBasso DX240 and iBasso DX300. Has anyone tried to compare them? I need your opinions. Well, M11 Plus ESS is the cheapest one and I am curious if it can stack up against DX240 and DX300. Appreciate the feedback, cheers!!

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 24
Wondering if you pulled the trigger yet? I'm going back and forth between the M11 Plus and DX240 and would love some first hand opinions.
Not yet. I almost bought DX240 but held myself when I heard the news about upcoming DAPs. There will be so many interesting upcoming DAPs like DX320 and WM1AM2. I want the end-game DAP so, yeah. How are they? M11 Plus with AKM DAC?

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 24
In the same camp ! M11 plus or Dx240. Still not completely decided yet between a DAP vs a DAC like the Gryphon.

I was in the same boat. Have been waiting for the Sony WM1AM2, but knowing that they will cripple the power output like crazy i cant be asked spending 1.4k € for that device. Especially since it's unavailable everywhere lul..

I went with the FiiO M11 Plus as my "entry" dap and i'm not disappointed at all! It might be a bit of a chungus but it's super responsive and i really love the lil visualzer they put into their music app! I paired them with the good ol' Moondrop Blessing 2 and I also ordered a Starfield, which is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm not a pro-listener by any means, but even I can tell the difference between the super compressed stuff i used to listen to and the good quality I get out of that combo now. Couldn't be much happier and the M11 does the job and my next chunk of money will go towards getting some really nice pair of headphones.

I hope my experience helps you out a bit!

Cheers

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 24
In the same camp ! M11 plus or Dx240. Still not completely decided yet between a DAP vs a DAC like the Gryphon.
Man!!! I thought the same too. I almost bought Gryphon or Mojo 2, to be honest. But micro USB in 2022 is just meh. The thing was when Sony NW-WM1AM2 was
announced I kinda lean towards this device.

I was in the same boat. Have been waiting for the Sony WM1AM2, but knowing that they will cripple the power output like crazy i cant be asked spending 1.4k € for that device. Especially since it's unavailable everywhere lul..

I went with the FiiO M11 Plus as my "entry" dap and i'm not disappointed at all! It might be a bit of a chungus but it's super responsive and i really love the lil visualzer they put into their music app! I paired them with the good ol' Moondrop Blessing 2 and I also ordered a Starfield, which is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm not a pro-listener by any means, but even I can tell the difference between the super compressed stuff i used to listen to and the good quality I get out of that combo now. Couldn't be much happier and the M11 does the job and my next chunk of money will go towards getting some really nice pair of headphones.

I hope my experience helps you out a bit!

Cheers
They are already gone on Amazon. I did not get one 😩 however, you can find it on hifi-suite.de
I would not call M11 entry-level, cause I think it can compete with the flagship DAP. I want the end-game DAP, and it has to be Sony 😂

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 24
Man!!! I thought the same too. I almost bought Gryphon or Mojo 2, to be honest. But micro USB in 2022 is just meh. The thing was when Sony NW-WM1AM2 was
announced I kinda lean towards this device.

They are already gone on Amazon. I did not get one 😩 however, you can find it on hifi-suite.de
I would not call M11 entry-level, cause I think it can compete with the flagship DAP. I want the end-game DAP, and it has to be Sony 😂

Haha ye I didn't mean entry level in budget but it's my first dip into dap's in general :sweat_smile:

About the Sony: I'm just concerned about the high possibility of them crippling the device too much because of the EU-regulations. If they do it the same way as with their other devices they will get rid of the high-gain mode and limit the power output. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 24
Haha ye I didn't mean entry level in budget but it's my first dip into dap's in general :sweat_smile:

About the Sony: I'm just concerned about the high possibility of them crippling the device too much because of the EU-regulations. If they do it the same way as with their other devices they will get rid of the high-gain mode and limit the power output. That would be a dealbreaker for me.
To be honest, I would not concern too much about that since I use DAP only with IEMs. I am not into Headphone-game so, if you are into that, this will be a huge problem. Some people actually use M11 Plus as their end-game. As long as you are happy with your purchase I think it is enough. Do not let others tell you otherwise 😉

In my case, my entry-level were Fiio M3K and Hiby R3 Pro Saber. 😂

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 24
To be honest, I would not concern too much about that since I use DAP only with IEMs. I am not into Headphone-game so, if you are into that, this will be a huge problem. Some people actually use M11 Plus as their end-game. As long as you are happy with your purchase I think it is enough. Do not let others tell you otherwise 😉

In my case, my entry-level were Fiio M3K and Hiby R3 Pro Saber. 😂

Ah ye well in that case it would fit you pretty well! I wanna get the Hifiman Sundara next, which is a planar headphone, so the lower power output sadly wouldn't work for me.. Maybe they handle it differently this time, but i doubt it. :confounded: Anyways, the M11 Plus will suffice for quite some time.

Haha well they seem to be nice DAPs, I was looking at them to pair one of those with a Mojo 2, but it was sold out everywhere at that time 😂 The only thing I do miss from the DX240 is the swappable AMP card. Since I'm a bloody newb that would have allowed me to try out different sound signatures to see, if I'm even able to hear any difference.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 24

Well Sony is too expensive for me although their DAPs seem pretty nice. Looking for something around the 6-700 mark (in whatever currency you want 😁).

I’m pretty sure I would be happy with the M11 plus. I just prefer the iBasso a bit more esthetically. But it’s more expensive and the swappable modules simply means I would spend even more money on it 😬

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciated!

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 24
Well Sony is too expensive for me although their DAPs seem pretty nice. Looking for something around the 6-700 mark (in whatever currency you want 😁).

I’m pretty sure I would be happy with the M11 plus. I just prefer the iBasso a bit more esthetically. But it’s more expensive and the swappable modules simply means I would spend even more money on it 😬

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciated!

Yepp I can feel your pain, but they're the inventors of the original walkman after all.. They can afford to be super pricey :sweat_smile::unamused:

The swappable modules are optional tho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Dont forget to consider the form factor! The DX240 is way thinner and smaller than the M11 plus.The size doesn't bother me since I'm either having a bag with me or listen to it when at work, where I keep it on the desk. One big pro of the M11plus is the fact that it loses next to no battery when it's in standby. I had it laying around for 3 days and when i picked it up again it lost 1%, that's unheard of lol.

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 24
Yepp I can feel your pain, but they're the inventors of the original walkman after all.. They can afford to be super pricey :sweat_smile::unamused:

Sony is more expensive for everything even for the things they didn’t invent. 😁

Form factor is a good point. I haven’t had the chance to hold either in my hand so I didn’t know that. Something transportable should suit my need. When on the move, I use my iphone and Bluetooth in-ears. I don’t need hifi sound when in the Tube or walking in a noisy city environment.

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 24
I went with the M11 Plus ESS, replacing my A&K SR25, and I really like it so far.

The big responsive screen, the battery life, and it can power both my IEMs and headphones with no problem (though I haven't tried it with planars yet, though maybe in the future....). I use both the native app with my flac files and Tidal for hifi streaming, both work super well and I just love the sound, nice and clean.

I got mine mainly to take into the office during my commute and just have on my desk, so super portability while walking around wasn't a big concern for me. It is a bit big, though I do like the overall aesthetic of it.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 24
Ah ye well in that case it would fit you pretty well! I wanna get the Hifiman Sundara next, which is a planar headphone, so the lower power output sadly wouldn't work for me.. Maybe they handle it differently this time, but i doubt it. :confounded: Anyways, the M11 Plus will suffice for quite some time.

Haha well they seem to be nice DAPs, I was looking at them to pair one of those with a Mojo 2, but it was sold out everywhere at that time 😂 The only thing I do miss from the DX240 is the swappable AMP card. Since I'm a bloody newb that would have allowed me to try out different sound signatures to see, if I'm even able to hear any difference.
I would opt for iFi Gryphon, since they have the same price here in Germany. Mojo 2 might be better in terms of sound quality, but micro USB is just painful in 2022, although it has one USB-C for connection.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 24
I went with the M11 Plus ESS, replacing my A&K SR25, and I really like it so far.

The big responsive screen, the battery life, and it can power both my IEMs and headphones with no problem (though I haven't tried it with planars yet, though maybe in the future....). I use both the native app with my flac files and Tidal for hifi streaming, both work super well and I just love the sound, nice and clean.

I got mine mainly to take into the office during my commute and just have on my desk, so super portability while walking around wasn't a big concern for me. It is a bit big, though I do like the overall aesthetic of it.
Glad to hear your experience. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back