Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #31 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. Only Tung-sol made the 5998 (not to be confused at all with the 5998A). The WE421A is just a Western Electric branded TS 5998. Don't let anyone tell you different. They are identical.

Good to know. Thanks.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 14,501
Quote:

No. Only Tung-sol made the 5998 (not to be confused at all with the 5998A). The WE421A is just a Western Electric branded TS 5998. Don't let anyone tell you different. They are identical.

Cheers Sky, I'm now staying well away from the pair that's currently on sale at the Bay
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 14,501
Anyone who pays the big $$$ people want for the WE421A is just wasting their money. I have a pair of Tung-Sol branded tubes labeled 421A's - these also are just 5998's of course - but Tung-Sol was likely trying to play off the success of the WE421A.

The key point is that ONLY Tung-Sol ever made this tube.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #35 of 14,501
Can I ask what would be a fair price to pay for a set of 5998s, non premium VT-231/6SN7GTs and 6AS7Gs.

I'm looking to start buying some tubes for my 336 and LD6 but I don't really know what the average market prices are for these tubes. I have read that if you're lucky, you can find them up for as little as a few dollars. I don't think there's a chance in hell I can get these for a few dollars, so I'm looking for realistic prices
smily_headphones1.gif

I have seen some RCA 6SN7s going for $200 or more and that's just way more than what I want to/can spend on a couple of tubes
frown.gif

My budget is in the $30-50 range (lower is better
biggrin.gif
). Is it possible to get decent tubes for that sort of price?

I'm looking to buy most of these off ebay, and as I don't have a tube tester, I have to rely on the seller not selling me duds. Is this a good way of sourcing tubes?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #37 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what would be a fair price to pay for a set of 5998s, non premium VT-231/6SN7GTs and 6AS7Gs.

I'm looking to start buying some tubes for my 336 and LD6 but I don't really know what the average market prices are for these tubes. I have read that if you're lucky, you can find them up for as little as a few dollars. I don't think there's a chance in hell I can get these for a few dollars, so I'm looking for realistic prices
smily_headphones1.gif

I have seen some RCA 6SN7s going for $200 or more and that's just way more than what I want to/can spend on a couple of tubes
frown.gif

My budget is in the $30-50 range (lower is better
biggrin.gif
). Is it possible to get decent tubes for that sort of price?

I'm looking to buy most of these off ebay, and as I don't have a tube tester, I have to rely on the seller not selling me duds. Is this a good way of sourcing tubes?

Thanks

You need to read the 6SN7 Reference thread if you haven't already. There are a HUGE variety of 6SN7 tubes, and they will vary incredibly widely in price from $200 each to $5 each. The good news here is that ANY US-made vintage 6SN7 tube (assuming it works) will sound better than the truly awful sounding chinese 6SN7 that ships with the 336. You should spend the extra money here IMO - if you have a budget of $50, spend $40 on a 6SN7, and just get an RCA 6AS7G (which will sound very good).

A Tung-Sol 5998 generally sells for $20-50 depending on condition and how many are available at any given point in time.

If you want I can sell you a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7GTB and a Sylvania 6AS7G for $30 that are a pretty nice set of tubes for this amp, PM me. I need to get rid of some tubes
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #38 of 14,501
Quote:

You need to read the 6SN7 Reference thread if you haven't already. There are a HUGE variety of 6SN7 tubes, and they will vary incredibly widely in price from $200 each to $5 each. The good news here is that ANY US-made vintage 6SN7 tube (assuming it works) will sound better than the truly awful sounding chinese 6SN7 that ships with the 336. You should spend the extra money here IMO - if you have a budget of $50, spend $40 on a 6SN7, and just get an RCA 6AS7G (which will sound very good).

A Tung-Sol 5998 generally sells for $20-50 depending on condition and how many are available at any given point in time.

If you want I can sell you a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7GTB and a Sylvania 6AS7G for $30 that are a pretty nice set of tubes for this amp, PM me. I need to get rid of some tubes
redface.gif

Thanks Sky, I may take you up on that offer
biggrin.gif
and I have read the 6SN7 Reference thread, but reading it just makes it worse. There are just too many variables to the 6SL7s, things like black plates, grey plates, red, black, brown bases, how many halo they have yada yada yada....and they're all priced differently depending on which combo you want
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

In the meantime, I have a question regarding the TS 5998. I have managed to find one, mint condition and NOS, but the seller tells me it's not a TS but a Raytheon.

Can soneone confirm that only TS made 5998s and that they made them for other people as well and that they just re-badged them as their own.

I know about the WEs but they don't call theirs 5998 but 421s...

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #39 of 14,501
Tung-Sol did rebrand the 5998 for some companies, but I have never seen one Raytheon branded. Can you link to a picture? The key issue is - is it REALLY a 5998, and not a 5998A, or something else...

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #40 of 14,501
I got my 6AS7G RCA JAN and 6SN7GTB GE 1961 and they truly make my 336se sound much much better. This is my first experience with tube amps and changing tubes. You guys were very right in saying that the stock tubes for the 336se are rubbish.

I got the 6AS7G RCA JAN first, and used that with the stock 6SN7 tube. The sound became much punchier and more open. It felt more controlled and energetic.
The day after i got the 6SN7GTB GE 1961, and when i fired it up there was a loud humming noise coming out of the amp. I thought i had pushed my luck and that the road to audio bliss wouldn't be that easy, but the humming sound disappeared completely after 2-3 hours burn in. Now it is dead silent. When it comes to the sound it took a while longer for the 6SN7GTB GE to burn in, but the sound is open, smooth and pleasant. I have to listen more to make more statements
smily_headphones1.gif
. But one thing i can say is that the stock 6SN7 sounds very dull and dark in comparison.

Next is a DAC, (probably a Cambridge DacMagic when its back in stock where i live)

Thank you very much for the recommendations here. They were really spot on!

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #41 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Sky, I may take you up on that offer
biggrin.gif
and I have read the 6SN7 Reference thread, but reading it just makes it worse. There are just too many variables to the 6SL7s, things like black plates, grey plates, red, black, brown bases, how many halo they have yada yada yada....and they're all priced differently depending on which combo you want
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

In the meantime, I have a question regarding the TS 5998. I have managed to find one, mint condition and NOS, but the seller tells me it's not a TS but a Raytheon.

Can soneone confirm that only TS made 5998s and that they made them for other people as well and that they just re-badged them as their own.

I know about the WEs but they don't call theirs 5998 but 421s...

I think I have a Tung Sol reissue brown-base 6SN7Gxx tube (that Skylab pointed me to a year ago on ebay) that I saved but somehow missed when I sold the 336i. I'll try find it and drop it in the mail for you, if your address hasn't changed.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 14,501
The Tung-sol 5998 I bought from Sky came in today and I have to say I am very impressed. I went from a Motorola 6AS7G + CBS 6SN7GTB to the Tung-sol 5998 + CBS 6SN7GTB and improvement in sound is amazing. Feels much more open and detailed with a very controlled low end. I'm impressed.

Skylab, how does the CBS 6SN7GTB compare to the tall-bottle Tung Sol brown-base? Will that be a good match for the 5998?

-Steve.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #43 of 14,501
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Tung-sol 5998 I bought from Sky came in today and I have to say I am very impressed. I went from a Motorola 6AS7G + CBS 6SN7GTB to the Tung-sol 5998 + CBS 6SN7GTB and improvement in sound is amazing. Feels much more open and detailed with a very controlled low end. I'm impressed.

Skylab, how does the CBS 6SN7GTB compare to the tall-bottle Tung Sol brown-base? Will that be a good match for the 5998?

-Steve.

Those TS 5998s are great tubes. Glad to hear that you are enjoying them.

Whenever I want a change of pace I throw in a Russian 6H13C and a JAN CG 6SN7GT (pictured below). This is a nice "warm" combo. The 6H13C does not get a lot of love but I personally like it with several 6SN7s.

6sn7gtwwgta1gtlb3.png

The beauty of tube rolling....
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #44 of 14,501
Hi Steve, glad you like the 5998. It is indeed a great sounding tube.

Which CBS 6SN7GTB do you have exactly, do you know? does it have a black or brown base? Flat or triangular plates? Many of the CBS 6SN7's are very nice tubes.

The tall-bottle Tung-Sol I am sending you has a nice combination of resolution and warmth, but it's like the 5998 - not the lushest tube around, but not the leanest, either. Kind of in the middle.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #45 of 14,501
Quote:

Which CBS 6SN7GTB do you have exactly, do you know? does it have a black or brown base? Flat or triangular plates? Many of the CBS 6SN7's are very nice tubes.

It's a black base with red print on it. I'm not sure if it has flat or triangular plates. I'll take a pic later and show you when I get home later tonight. I have to say though, I am VERY pleased with 5998 + CBS combo.

-Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back