dCS Bartok
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #31 of 2,060
Congratulations on the Bartok; I’m also eager to hear your impressions as the system gels. I note that you had the PS DirectStream at one point. That is my current DAC so I would be most interested in your thoughts about the difference between it and the Bartok (if your aural memory permits). I have enjoyed the DirectSream’s organic, “analog” characteristics, and generally don’t like hyper resolving but (to me) artificial-sounding DACs. Hoping to find one which improves on the PS in resolution but without losing the musicality and believability. I have high hopes for this new dCS model.
Thanks!

If you like the PS Audio DirestStream DAC, I think you will love the dCS Bartok. It has the same organic natural delivery, but on a level that is much fuller and more natural - no added coloration. Remember that feeling you get every once in a while, where the music presentation seems totally real? Well, that amazing sensation of being in the room with the performers happens far more often for me with the Bartok and balanced Transparent cable. The primary differences between albums now seems to come from differences in miking and mastering.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #32 of 2,060
If you like the PS Audio DirestStream DAC, I think you will love the dCS Bartok. It has the same organic natural delivery, but on a level that is much fuller and more natural - no added coloration. Remember that feeling you get every once in a while, where the music presentation seems totally real? Well, that amazing sensation of being in the room with the performers happens far more often for me with the Bartok and balanced Transparent cable. The primary differences between albums now seems to come from differences in miking and mastering.

Thanks very much. I’m hoping to audition it in the next weeks. Are there particular favorite filter/upsampling choices you’d suggest as starting points?

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #34 of 2,060
I have hard time asking myself to think this worth the money but I will give it a try someday next week, may be it can really convince me to invest in it...

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #35 of 2,060
“Invest” no, spend maybe:) my motto is not go to hi end for digital, it is a constant change

Pre power an analog rig, even a CD player they might me your end game but dac/streamer never will be

I am about to go for a Naim streamer NDX2 rather then ND555 even I can afford it by skipping few hundred meals vacations etc

It also depending on disposable income

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #36 of 2,060
“Invest” no, spend maybe:) my motto is not go to hi end for digital, it is a constant change

Pre power an analog rig, even a CD player they might me your end game but dac/streamer never will be

I am about to go for a Naim streamer NDX2 rather then ND555 even I can afford it by skipping few hundred meals vacations etc

It also depending on disposable income
Quite ture, hobby is hobby and shouldn’t affect your normal life but my hobbies tend to bit too expensive and worst than being alcoholic lol

Although I am probably not going to get the Dcs but I am so looking forward to play with it next week

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #37 of 2,060
Yes - because the network player from Linn died... and I needed replacement. The intention is to use a USM haller (www.usm.com) combination for amp and dcs such that heat can dissipate. After 48h running the amp (class A), Rossini temperature is at 42C. Currently they are sitting on a wooden shelf, which you can see.
Which Linn network player did you have? I have been using a 2010 Linn Klimax. Didn't realize it's almost a decade old. The Klimax is running on the latest firmware with space optimization software that I have conveniently used for headphone EQ :)

So, how does the new dCS compare with your former Linn? I compared dCS and Linn back in the day and at the time Linn won out.

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #38 of 2,060
Hello Chesebert

Unfortunately I did not have time to compare Linn directly with dcs. When I listened to Sabrinas the dealer used dcs Rossini and I had Linn Majic (2008 - newest firmare + room-eq) at home.
After the sudden death of Majic The dealer suggested Linn Klimax or Rossini dcs and had a slight preference for the latter one on sonic reasons. I almost bought the Linn DSM. Why not?

We I liked the form of Linn more but found it very compelling to use dcs also as a DAC besides having a manual volume wheel. Hence difference was very small

After listening to dcs I am really convinced vs Majic. I would expect that the difference is materially smaller vs Klimax. Also I learned that I can attach an USB disc directly to dcs which is a welcome feature.
On the downside no HDMI inputs as per Klimax DSM. Both are on par re the ability to play Apple airplay which my daughters and wife love.

Hence in summary I am very happy, but would be most likely similarly happy with a Klimax

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #39 of 2,060
dCS Bartok Review: Part 1

Pros
• All in One Box (With Headphone Amp)
• Ring DAC Quality

dCS Bartók uses the very latest dCS Digital Processing Platform and Ring DAC™ technology, originally developed for the Rossini series.
• DXD Upsampling

Featuring DXD upsampling as standard, the multi-stage oversampling design offers optional DSD upsampling plus an extensive selection of DSP filters to suit individual taste and music choice.
• Upgradeable Firmware

Its single FPGA offers streamlined signal processing and superior flexibility, effectively making it future-proof.
• Balanced XLR4 Headphone Output
• MQA Decoding and Rendering
• Broad Connectivity

Bartók plays music through an array of industry-standard USB, AES or S/PDIF digital inputs. It can stream over Ethernet from a NAS drive or online music services such as TIDAL™ or Spotify™, and from Apple devices via Airplay™. The network interface can perform full MQA™ decoding and rendering.
• Build Quality​

Cons
• Price
• No HDMI Connection​

Specifications
Color
Silver or Black

Dimensions
444mm / 17.5” x 430mm / 17.0” x 115mm / 4.6“. Allow extra depth for cable connectors.​

Weight
16.7kg / 36.8lbs​

Converter Type
dCS proprietary Ring DAC™ topology​

Digital Inputs
Network interface on an RJ45 connector – acts as a UPnP™ renderer in Asynchronous mode, streaming digital music from a NAS or local computer over a standard Ethernet network, decoding all major lossless formats including FLAC, WAV & AIFF at up to 24 bit 384kS/s native sample rate, plus DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DFF/DSF format. Other formats include WMA, ALAC, MP3, AAC & OGG. Some formats are limited to lower sample rates. Supports Apple AirPlay at 44.1 or 48kS/s. Network Loop Out connector on a second RJ45 connector. USB 2.0 interface on a B-type connector operating in Asynchronous mode, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at up to 384kS/s plus DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP format. Operates in Class 1 or 2 mode. USB-on-the-go interface on type A connector operating in Asynchronous mode, streams digital music from a flash drive at up to 24 bit 384kS/s plus DSD/64. 2x AES/EBU on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each will accept PCM at up to 24 bit 192kS/s or DSD/128 in DoP format. Used as a Dual AES pair, it will accept PCM at up to 384kS/s, DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP format or dCS-encrypted DSD. 2x SPDIF on 1x RCA Phono and 1x BNC connectors. Each will accept PCM at up to 24 bit 192kS/s or DSD/64 in DoP format. 1x SPDIF optical on a Toslink connector will accept PCM at up to 24 bit 96kS/s​

Analog Outputs
Output levels: 0.2, 0.6, 2 or 6V rms for full-scale input, set in the menu. Balanced outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x 3-pin XLR male connectors. These outputs are electronically balanced and floating. Output impedance is 3Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (10k-100kΩ is recommended). Unbalanced outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x RCA phono connectors. Output impedance is 52Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (10k-100kΩ is recommended).​

Headphone Outputs
1 stereo balanced pair on 1x 4-way male XLR connector. 1 stereo unbalanced pair on 1x 6.35mm (1/4”) 3-pole jack. Full-scale output levels are 1.4W rms into 33Ω, 0.15W rms into 300Ω. Output levels are 0, -10, -20, -30dB, set in the menu. Minimum headphone impedance is 33Ω.​

Wordclock
2x Word Clock Inputs on 2x BNC connectors, accept standard word clock at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple of the clock rate. Sensitive to TTL levels. Word Clock Output on 1x BNC connector. In Master mode, a TTL-compatible word clock appears on this output.​

MQA
Full decoding and rendering of MQA data from the Network and USB2 inputs. Final rendering of unfolded MQA data only from the other inputs.​

Residual Noise
24-bit data: Better than –113dB0, 20Hz - 20kHz unweighted. (6V output setting)​

L/R Crosstalk
Better than -115dB0, 20Hz – 20kHz​

Spurious Responses
Better than -105dB0, 20Hz – 20kHz​

Filters
PCM mode: up to 6 filters give different trade-offs between the Nyquist image rejection and the phase response. DSD mode: 4 filters progressively reduce out-of-audio band noise level.​

Conversions
DXD as standard or optional DSD upsampling​

Software Updates
Download and update functionality available via Bartók App​

Local Control
dCS Bartók app for unit configuration and playback. RS232 interface (controlled by a 3rd party automation system). dCS Universal IR remote control is available as an optional extra.​

Power Supply
Factory set to either 100, 115/120, 220 or 230/240V AC 50/60Hz​

Power Consumption
30 Watts typical / 50 Watts maximum.​

Part Two will discuss the sound signature of the dCS Bartok

Attachments

• dCS_Bartok_System.JPG
    dCS_Bartok_System.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #42 of 2,060
Bartok is very similar to Rossini, which has been tested by stereophile. At the end there is very good measurement section.

ps - 1) I am still really happy w rossini
2) stereophile has also tested and measured various chord dacs (dave)

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #43 of 2,060
Great stack, did you just go from the Hugo 2 (under $2,000) directly to the Rossini (over $20,000)?

I would also suggest getting some kind of thick wooden board to place between the amp & DAC.
They both probably put out a LOT of heat & stacking on top of each other can lead to problems down the line. That & placing amps or DACs on metals tends to add vibrations to the mix.

What is the dimensions of your room? We are looking to upgrade homes and I'm looking to have a 2 channel room or large home office with the smaller Wilson Audio speakers and dcs products are being considered over adding the M-Scaler and aurender streamer.

My girlfriend and I are looking to upgrade into what we hope is to be the last home we purchase and I would like to get almost everything I want in our price range and I really would love to have a nice 2 channel setup while I work from home. I am in luxury real estate and see so many homes I have preferences that I have pieces together from other homes I have seen over the years and a 2 ch listening room and a urinal (I'm dead serious about this) in the master bathroom are my two dream items.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #44 of 2,060
What is the dimensions of your room? We are looking to upgrade homes and I'm looking to have a 2 channel room or large home office with the smaller Wilson Audio speakers and dcs products are being considered over adding the M-Scaler and aurender streamer.

My girlfriend and I are looking to upgrade into what we hope is to be the last home we purchase and I would like to get almost everything I want in our price range and I really would love to have a nice 2 channel setup while I work from home. I am in luxury real estate and see so many homes I have preferences that I have pieces together from other homes I have seen over the years and a 2 ch listening room and a urinal (I'm dead serious about this) in the master bathroom are my two dream items.

c 4.5 x 7 m
Pass xa30.8 has enough power for this room/combo - considering that I mainly listen to opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back