Deal Alert: AKG k44 MKII for $29.99 + Free Shipping
Dec 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked these up today after seeing this deal online. I've been wanting a pair for a few months, but was afraid that for the $50 or so they'd sound terrible and my Guitar Center doesn't accept returns.

Out of the box everything sounds very good. Nothing jumps out at me that sounds bad. So far the sound seems quite balanced. Comfort is PERFECT. No clamping force at all and they have comfortable pleather pads. I'm driving them from my Ipod Touch with no problem.

If you need a good sounding headphone that's ultra comfortable, cheap and slightly ridiculous looking, these might be worth a try.
They'll even work as a portable headphone since they're closed and fairly small.

For $29 I'm quite impressed with the sound so far. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting this deal!

Here's the link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG-K-44MKII-Headphone-105153514-i1469833.gc

If you have a Guitar Center in your area they should be at this price. If not, they'll probably match it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 8

I'm not quite sure yet since I haven't owned them for more than a few hours. They're far more neutral though. I'm going to say though that the sound is probably more clear and has less bass than an un-modded UR-55. Comfort is far better on the k44 though.

My guess is that they'll be better than any un-modded UR-55, but not the modded version which I currently have. I'll know more soon.
Quote:
How would you compare these to the UR55 unamped?

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 8
I've been listening to these tonight for about 4 hours. I let them burn-in for 2 while I was at the movie theater. These are definitely the best $29 headphone i've ever heard. They have some good bass and mids, but the highs are a bit rolled off. They do make my ears a bit hot but they're closed and it's probably because it's just too hot in my house.

I have very little doubt now they are better than the DHP-II, un-modded UR-55, Beyer DT-235 and a few others. I think they sound a bit like the k240 Studio, but I'll need to compare them more and I've gotten sick of that. The sound is far more clear than any of those for sure.

I'd say they sound more like a headphone in the $75-$100 range to my ears. Thinking of buying my friend a pair of these. I hate to say it, but to me MOST cheap headphones are pretty terrible to my ears. I'm not sure why you almost never hear about the cheap AKG headphones around here?!

EDIT:

WOW. This is just beyond dumb. I've been sitting here like an idiot for the last 4 hours listening to them with a custom EQ set to reduce the bass on accident. I had it set to this setting for my Denon D1100. It's funny because even with this setting they still had quite a lot of bass. Not they're bass heavy, but still sound good. I'll burn them in over night. Now they're definitely less neutral. Figures. The EQ setting wasn't anything major at least. I'm hoping that after burn-in the bass will get reduced a tad like with my k240. Those seemed kind of bass heavy out of the box somehow?!

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 8
can you post some pictures of these headphones because they look really good from the pictures.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 8
So I was driving by a guitar center on the way home from work tonight when this thread popped into mind.  I skidded and swirved and nearly ran many cars off the road while turning into the parking lot!!  JK, wasn't quite that bad, but not far from it.

I picked up the k44 mkII and came home to try them out.  I must say when I first plugged them into my Walkman I was rather disappointed.  The mids seem rather distant and the highs aren't so crisp.  I've been listening to my Ultrasone Zino's non stop for the past few months.  They have very crisp almost bright highs.  Bass is full and very strong and the mids are right in line, not forward but definitely not recessed.

Well, I started playing with the EQ and once I finally got some rather bizzarre settings together I found the sound that suits me.  Wow!  I must say I dialed them in veyr nicely.  I only spent about an hour with them after I got my sound dialed in.  I am really looking forward to getting some more time.  It's a great 30 dollar buy! 

I wouldn't like them with the walkman or any other player set to flat.  Perhaps its a house sound that I'm not accustomed to yet.  But I really would prefer my ipod to my walkman if there was no EQ at all.

More to follow.....

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Yeah I still like mine. They're comparable in sound quality to my modded DT-235, except the DT-235 is much brighter and has less bass.
I almost never use an EQ, but I like the k44 the most with the "Bass Reducer" setting! For $30 it's just so extremely hard to find a very comfortable headphone.
I think it's well worth the $30 for sure. I'm now wondering what the k77 or k99 sounds like.

Quote:
So I was driving by a guitar center on the way home from work tonight when this thread popped into mind.  I skidded and swirved and nearly ran many cars off the road while turning into the parking lot!!  JK, wasn't quite that bad, but not far from it.

I picked up the k44 mkII and came home to try them out.  I must say when I first plugged them into my Walkman I was rather disappointed.  The mids seem rather distant and the highs aren't so crisp.  I've been listening to my Ultrasone Zino's non stop for the past few months.  They have very crisp almost bright highs.  Bass is full and very strong and the mids are right in line, not forward but definitely not recessed.

Well, I started playing with the EQ and once I finally got some rather bizzarre settings together I found the sound that suits me.  Wow!  I must say I dialed them in veyr nicely.  I only spent about an hour with them after I got my sound dialed in.  I am really looking forward to getting some more time.  It's a great 30 dollar buy! 

I wouldn't like them with the walkman or any other player set to flat.  Perhaps its a house sound that I'm not accustomed to yet.  But I really would prefer my ipod to my walkman if there was no EQ at all.

More to follow.....

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Ya, these headphones really required some EQ tinkering.  Strange how different you can get them to sound after some serious adjusting.  And when I say adjusting, it wasn't just a bass setting...my settings are all over the place!  lol. It's like the the difference in the DJ100 with and without an amp. 

I spent another hour with them this morning and I really like the sound I am getting now.  Quite a bit in fact.  I can definitely live with the EQ adjustments to keep a sound that I really enjoy.  I would never listen to these on my S639 without the EQ set though.  In fact, I really don't prefer any headphone on my walkman when set to flat.  I prefer my Ipod over my walkman when EQ is off.  Quite the opposite though when you set the EQ.  The Sony really takes off in my opinion.  I am really enjoying the sound of these AKG's right now.  Glad I picked them up.  For 30 bucks these are easily worth trying.  Just keep your receipt in case you don't like listening to music without EQ, as these might not be the flavor you're looking for. 

My wife thinks they are kind of goofey looking....and then I reminded her of my Koss UR20's!!!  I'm still picking up signals from distant galaxies on those things!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back