Decisions
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SephX

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, new here on Head-Fi, but I have read around here before, and found that the advice given is quite useful, so today I was hoping you guys could help me with a question.

I've been thinking about getting a better set of cans but I can't decide between these headphones;
Focal Spirit One,
Audio Technica ATH-M50,
Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio

I'd prefer one with a more universal approach to the sound as I can't really give a few specific genres of music, interests change from time, but as of now I listen to Drum and Bass, acoustic and Jazz music more often. Portability does not really matter to me.

And after that, would any of the two headphones benefit from an Amp? I was thinking about getting one of Fiio's amps like the E17 and E09K if they could significantly increase the SQ.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 6
The Focal Spirit One sounds terrible to my ears.  I auditioned it directly against my AH-D2000, ATH-M50, and a few others and it just sounds bad.

I think the ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone, but if you prefer a brighter sound ( more treble ), then the Shure SRH-840 would be a good fit.

Both of those headphones do not require an amp, but do improve slightly with a good headphone amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hi guys, new here on Head-Fi, but I have read around here before, and found that the advice given is quite useful, so today I was hoping you guys could help me with a question.

I've been thinking about getting a better set of cans but I can't decide between these headphones;
Focal Spirit One,
Audio Technica ATH-M50,
Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio

I'd prefer one with a more universal approach to the sound as I can't really give a few specific genres of music, interests change from time, but as of now I listen to Drum and Bass, acoustic and Jazz music more often. Portability does not really matter to me.

And after that, would any of the two headphones benefit from an Amp? I was thinking about getting one of Fiio's amps like the E17 and E09K if they could significantly increase the SQ.

Thanks in advance.

Heya,

I wouldn't get any of those.

And with that extra budget you have sitting for the E17/E09K amplifiers, I would lump that into your headphone budget and simply get a way better headphone. Those combined give you a very open field of really good headphones to consider.

Look into:

(Closed):

AKG K550
AKG K167
Denon D600
Beyer Custom One Pro
Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 780
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentums
Shure SRH840

(Open)

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-300
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Heya,

I wouldn't get any of those.

And with that extra budget you have sitting for the E17/E09K amplifiers, I would lump that into your headphone budget and simply get a way better headphone. Those combined give you a very open field of really good headphones to consider.

Look into:

(Closed):

AKG K550
AKG K167
Denon D600
Beyer Custom One Pro
Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 780
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentums
Shure SRH840

(Open)

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-300
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

I'd prefer closed headphones, and aware that they might not have as "open" of a sound effect, closed phones don't leak out as much noise and that's preferred as I'm usually sharing space with other people. The wide variety really gave me alot to dig into! But now it's worse as I'm even more lost for choice, out of the list of closed headphones you gave me, regardless of the price tag which pair would you recommend? Thanks again, grateful for the helpful info as these will be the first pairs of better quality phones I'm purchasing, so would really like to have a few informed opinions before buying them. Also, I'd be grateful for some amp/dac recommendations if they would increase the SQ on the headphones.

After looking through online these are the phones I shortlisted
AKG K550,
Denon D600,
Sennheiser Momentums
Shure SRH840

Yours Thankfully,

Quote:
The Focal Spirit One sounds terrible to my ears.  I auditioned it directly against my AH-D2000, ATH-M50, and a few others and it just sounds bad.

I think the ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone, but if you prefer a brighter sound ( more treble ), then the Shure SRH-840 would be a good fit.

Both of those headphones do not require an amp, but do improve slightly with a good headphone amp.

Thanks to the both of you! Was surprised to see such negative response towards the Spirit One's after reading some reviews that reflected well on it online, and also due to Focal's good name in the speaker industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back