DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 3,907
  Kevin Gilmore believes their power section is really goofy. Too many capacitors. Imagine if one shorts. Seems like they op to using many smaller ones to reduce chassis size.

Nonetheless, I wonder how the higher line Denafrips DAC-1PRO DSD or Denafrips DAC 8PRO2 DSD performs.

Many small capacitors is a advantage neither disadvantage.
1. They charge and discharge faster then one single equivalent
2. Summarized impedance (ESR) is much smaller then single, big capacitor.

Look at the Gryphon Kalliope DAC..

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 3,907

Yes, it can play native DSD over USB, but first you must download and install DSD-ASIO driver from manufacturer website (for Windows PC). Next step - select DSD-ASIO output in your software player. Denafrips 'Ares' supported PCM 24-192 and DSD64 (in DoP mode) over coaxial and optical interfaces. Ares similar to DAC68 R2R, but Ares has additional coaxial and optical inputs.

Thanks for chiming in @PitBul34

I am not sure if it is language or it is lost in translation .I asked the same question to the guys in Denafrips and their response was "When through USB, our Dac uses DoP standard. If you prefer ASIO than Dop, the DAC-68 R2R maybe not fit to your preference. "

Looking forward to your review/opinion of the DAC-8PRO2 R2R

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #20 of 3,907
  Holy Grail - DAC-68 R2R $500

So you bought the DAC-68 R2R & DAC-8PRO2 R2R?

Would be nice if you could compare the later to the Holo Audio Spring. I've been meaning to upgrade my R2R DAC and the Denafrips looks more like the Metrum Pavane Transient modules.

Many small capacitors is a advantage neither disadvantage.
1. They charge and discharge faster then one single equivalent
2. Summarized impedance (ESR) is much smaller then single, big capacitor.

Look at the Gryphon Kalliope DAC..

Agreed. They have their benefits. I was speaking from the standpoint on if one were to break.

--

I've contacted Denafrips. May be getting myself a DAC-8PRO2 R2R for review soon. Seems like their reference DAC-1PRO R2R has too many revisions and isn't finalized yet.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 3,907

I am not sure if it is language or it is lost in translation .I asked the same question to the guys in Denafrips and their response was "When through USB, our Dac uses DoP standard. If you prefer ASIO than Dop, the DAC-68 R2R maybe not fit to your preference. "

Denafrips 'Ares' can do it. USB digital audio interface use the XMOS latest series chip. I can take a video, if you need (i use Foobar2000 as a software player on my PC). Some additional features aren't documented, f.e. optical interface can do PCM 192k (officially 96k only).

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #22 of 3,907

So you bought the DAC-68 R2R & DAC-8PRO2 R2R?

No, Denafrips 'Ares' (in my hand)  & DAC-8PRO2 R2R (on the way to me).

Would be nice if you could compare the later to the Holo Audio Spring. I've been meaning to upgrade my R2R DAC and the Denafrips looks more like the Metrum Pavane Transient modules.

Ok, i'll do it when DAC-8PRO2 comes. About Metrum. Look at this pic, there is a similar bunch of a small caps: 

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #23 of 3,907

No, Denafrips 'Ares' (in my hand)  & DAC-8PRO2 R2R (on the way to me).

Ok, i'll do it when DAC-8PRO2 comes. About Metrum.

I see. So you're a former owner of the Holo Audio Spring, you've sold it prior to receiving the "Ares" but still recall the sound the Spring gave.

How long have you had the Spring for? I've been in this hobby for a long time coming and I can't safely state that I can remember a sound by a given equipment, except for headphones. For example, HD800's having a treble rise, clinical sounding, and low bass energy. Personally I have a Holo Audio Spring in hand and plan to compare it to the DAC-8PRO2 R2R.

You say you prefer the cheaper Ares over the Spring? If that's the case then surely the DAC-8PRO2 R2R will be miles ahead.

That'll be strange as the Spring is not too far from Metrum Pavane. If this is the case, the DAC-8PRO2 R2R will be on similar levels with the Pavane for much, much cheaper.

How much did you get your DAC-8PRO2 R2R for?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 3,907

I see. So you're a former owner of the Holo Audio Spring, you've sold it prior to receiving the "Ares" but still recall the sound the Spring gave.

How long have you had the Spring for? I've been in this hobby for a long time coming and I can't safely state that I can remember a sound by a given equipment, except for headphones. For example, HD800's having a treble rise, clinical sounding, and low bass energy. Personally I have a Holo Audio Spring in hand and plan to compare it to the DAC-8PRO2 R2R.

~1 month and i sold it. I received Ares a week later. Holo was the first R2R discrete ladder DAC i've ever heard. So, i remember the sound very well.

You say you prefer the cheaper Ares over the Spring? If that's the case then surely the DAC-8PRO2 R2R will be miles ahead.

Ares armed by 2x R2R ladder, DAC-8PRO2 - 4x R2R ladder. Will see.

How much did you get your DAC-8PRO2 R2R for?

$1500 USD for DAC-8PRO2 (on the way from Taiwan)
$700 USD for Ares (in my hands)
$1180 USD for Holo Spring (sold)

and $799 for Oppo Sonica (on the way from US)

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 3,907
I don't like that many caps together from a reliability standpoint. If one decides to cause trouble, very hard to figure out which one. But clearly the ESR is going to be lower for a bunch of small caps vs a couple of big caps.

I do know someone in Iceland that just bought an ares. will be interesting to see their review.

I expect to see a bunch of under $1k R2R dacs on the market soon

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 3,907
  If one decides to cause trouble, very hard to figure out which one. But clearly the ESR is going to be lower for a bunch of small caps vs a couple of big caps.

You're right !

I do know someone in Iceland that just bought an ares. will be interesting to see their review.

Yes, very interesting too. Please provide his review if possible.

I expect to see a bunch of under $1k R2R dacs on the market soon

Have you seen the Audio-GD 'Singularity 19' R2R discrete ladder DAC?

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #27 of 3,907

~1 month and i sold it. I received Ares a week later. Holo was the first R2R discrete ladder DAC i've ever heard. So, i remember the sound very well.

Ares armed by 2x R2R ladder, DAC-8PRO2 - 4x R2R ladder. Will see.

$1500 USD for DAC-8PRO2 (on the way from Taiwan)
$700 USD for Ares (in my hands)
$1180 USD for Holo Spring (sold)

and $799 for Oppo Sonica (on the way from US)

I see. Were you using it through the USB input? NOS or OS? For me on I2S it sounds exquisite.

I'm going to make an order for the DAC-8PRO2 after you receive yours and can comment on the sound quality. ETA?

I'll do a comparison of it to the Metrum Pavane and Holo Audio Spring. The black anodizing and red led's got me otherwise I don't think I would be giving it this much of an effort. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 3,907
Added some new Ares videos.

Denafrips 'Ares' R2R Ladder DAC & Fostex 208EZ dynamic heads test 011

Denafrips 'Ares' R2R Ladder DAC native DSD over USB test 012

Denafrips 'Ares' R2R Ladder DAC & Teac VRDS10 as CD-source test 013

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #30 of 3,907

Looking forward to your review/opinion of the DAC-8PRO2 R2R

me. too.
It looks very very interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back