Denon AH-C300 IEM Review
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xkonfuzed

Headphoneus Supremus
*I spent a lot of time on this so i would appreciate it if you could leave some feedback, even if it was negative 
bigsmile_face.gif
. *

TL;DR:
These have a very bassy sound signature without drowning out the mids and highs. They also have some fit and build issues. 

MSRP: $220, Street price & Amazon: $79. 

Product information:

Before I start, this is what I mainly listen to:
Drum and Bass, Neurofunk, Vocal trance, techno, hard style, electronic rock, alternative rock, chillout, reggae, Hip-Hop/Rap. 

Source: 
iPad 4th Gen (w/ Cirrus chip) > E11 > C300's.
HTC One > C300's
Aune T1 > 6922EH > C300's (i use this one the least as its my desktop setup and i mostly use these IEM's outdoors)

Build Quality:
I was slightly disappointed with the build quality of these. They have an MSRP of $220, and in my opinion these don't feel like they're worth that much. The materials used are almost entirely plastic. The C300's are really big compared to other IEM's. The cable is fairly good, but its thin and tangles quite a lot. The jack, however, is really sturdy and is right-angled. Very high quality. I very much prefer this over a straight jack as this one is harder to pull off and feels safer when its in your pocket. 

Fit:
This is the main drawback of this IEM. The fit is really hard to get right. I mainly purchased this headphone for running and working out. They serve this purpose well, but there's problems. You will spend hours trying to adjust it to fit your ears correctly. Technically, it is possible to just put them on without a good fit, but this vastly changes the bass. Without a proper fit, the bass is very weak. Get it right, however, and you have one of the bassiest IEM's on the market. The fit really depends on your ear size and shape. I have average sized ears and the fit is a problem to me.

Isolation: 
I'm new to IEM's (this is actually my first quality pair of in-ears) so take my words with a grain of salt. The isolation on these is fairly good, when you get the fit right. Nothing too special for an IEM, but i still wish it would block out more noise as i mainly use these outside in a busy area. 

Comfort:
Comfort on these is good when you remove the wings. But when the wings are on, they will cause discomfort after about half an hour or so of use. Taking the wings out, though, will decrease your chance of getting a good fit. Without the wings, I'd say these are good for about 2 hours of use without any discomfort. 

Sound:
-Overall sound signature:
I wouldn't say that these are V shaped. These have more of a U shaped sound signature. The mids are not recessed (except lower mids which ill get to in a moment), the treble is a bit boosted, and the bass is the most prominent of the three. If you like EDM, these are the headphones for you. Look no further. 

-Across the spectrum: 
Bass:
The bass on these is hard-hitting, impactful, and digs down to the deepest octawaves.Bass quantity is almost equal to that of the XB500, the Denons have very slightly less bass though. They have just as much bass as the M-Audio Q40, though these have more midbass and the Q40's have more upperbass. The bass remains tight and strong. What i noticed is that these often make not-so-bassy songs sound bassy, while others 'phones like the HA-S500 and Q40 represent them as normal (for lack a better word). Subbass on the Denons reaches very low. Im not very good with frequencies but I'd say it easily hits 25-30hz. Midbass is what impressed me the most on these. Hardstyle Trance, Techno, sounds awesome on these (especially hardstyle). Upper bass is the least boosted part of the low frequencies. 

Midrange: 
The midrange on these is a mixbag. The lower mids are weak and lack authority. Male vocals sound thin and thats because they lack weight.Moving up the central mids these are fairly good. Stringed instruments, painos, violins, etc sound great. The Upper mids are the best part of the midrange. These really shine here. Female vocals sound wonderful. I don't know what Denon did but female vocals sound excellent here. There is no recession in the midrange (except for the lower mids, and thats very slight). 

Treble:
Treble is slightly boosted here, but nothing you have to worry about. The treble is smooth and doesn't pierce your ears. This also helps the details come out a bit more. No odd peaks and spikes here. 

Detail: 
Level of detail is surprisingly good. I haven't noticed anything i haven't heard before, but these are able to produce nearly the same level of detail i get out of my dt880's. Crazy, right? 

Soundstage: 
Also quite good considering this is an IEM. But since this has dual drivers, the soundstage is great. Its not as wide as an open headphone, but it is wide. The imaging is also more than satisfactory.

Verdict(s)
Build: 5/10
Comfort: 7/10
Fit: 3.5/10
Isolation: 8.5/10
Sound: 9.2/10

Overall: 
7.5/10

Basshead Approved.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the great review! I really want to try these and compare them to my xb90ex and wooduos 2. 

Cheers.

Well I have both the C300 and XB90ex. I think the Denons have the best sound. The XB's are easier to wear and find a good fit. For me, the Denons are only indoors IEMs.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Well I have both the C300 and XB90ex. I think the Denons have the best sound. The XB's are easier to wear and find a good fit. For me, the Denons are only indoors IEMs.

Thanks Coq de Combat. Yes, in another post I read your impressions on both. Advantage, which of the 2 has more and better in terms of bass and sub ​​bass. Is that sub xb90ex produce deep bass thanks to the 16 mm driver possessing, hard to match. 

Cheers.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the great review! I really want to try these and compare them to my xb90ex and wooduos 2. 

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback :) don't forget to tell us whether you like them or not if you try them.

I might have to get some in ear's someday. These are getting a lot of love. Nice review. Not fanboy stuff. Good and bad mentioned. They got big bass....nothing else really matters...after that it's all gravy:D

Thanks man! Just some advice: TRY these before you buy them, because the chances of getting a good fit are not that good :D

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Coq de Combat. Yes, in another post I read your impressions on both. Advantage, which of the 2 has more and better in terms of bass and sub ​​bass. Is that sub xb90ex produce deep bass thanks to the 16 mm driver possessing, hard to match. 

Cheers.
You'll have to wait to next week. I'm on the countryside right now and don't have both with me. I'll compare the subbass for you when I get home and find the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back