Denon AH-D2000 or Beats Pro? PLEASE HELP!
Sep 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Boombastic88

Head-Fier
So this Christmas I've decided to get my first high-end pair of headphones and I need help really badly. I was considering the Sennheiser HD598 but didn't know how I would like the open design because I've never had any experience with it. So I narrowed it down to two closed sets of cans, the Beats Pro(my original choice) or the Denon AH-D2000. I will pay either of the prices of these headphones and all I care about is pure sound quality (but i also like the style of the Beats). So if anybody has compared any headphones at all to the Beats Pro and thought they were better, PLEASE speak up. And if you have the D2000's or the Pro's, how do you like them?

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 13
Let me throw up a bit....

K back.

Denon for sure. They are 15 times better then Beats. (approximately, I think) Rough calculation.

But they are great cans that don't need a amp and will give you so much sound and comfort over the beats.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 13
If you're willing to fork out for the Beats Pro, you can move up the Denon chain for the same price and get the D5000s or a used pair of D7000s for just a bit more.

Regardless, I've owned the Beats Pro in a past life, they weren't offensive, but Denons packing material ultimately produces better sound.
Opt for any of the 3 (2K, 5K, or 7K) over the Beats, you'll be glad that you did.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Have you heard the Beats Pro?

The three pound death trap?

Yes. It's like a solid metal brick with horrid sound and a OK cable. Worth about $150 in my book. But uncomfortable for anything longer then 10 minutes due to weight.
My friend has one, swears by it. I had him hear my SR80i and he flipped out how the difference of sound was like night and day.

But that's just my and his opinion.

Choose what you wish.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Thanks guys! I think I might get the Denons now. Are the D5000's worth the extra money? And do they need to be amped?

Yes and no.

But for the price, it's only a small jump. Anything over the $300 range starts becoming a very small jump vs. the price. You'll only notice a very small increase of sound, but it collects later on in the end.

Denon don't need amp. But a DAC helps. Check out the Ibasso D-zero or a FiiO E7

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
So one more question: How do the HD598's compare to all of these?

Completely different. The HD598 is more for casual listening. Nothing very impactful but pleasantly balanced presentation of music. There's nothing really offending nor lacking about the HD598 so you can listen long periods with them with any genre. It's also open and like all open headphones, there is absolutely ZERO isolation.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 13
First of all, Denon 2k or Beats Pro are not high-end headphones, these are entry level headphones.
For high ends, you are looking at Senn HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Stax, LCD2, HifiMan HE6, Ultrasone Ed8/10 etc.

If I had to pick between Denon 2k and any Beats, I will go for the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back