Denon AH-D600 right for me? (Open to other last minute recommendations, $300)
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheTroutEater

New Head-Fier
Posted this in the Denon thread a few hours ago but since I want to buy these things by tomorrow I decided to make a separate post in hopes of getting some more replies:  

I've been recommended the AH-D600's by some users here when I asked for a good headphone for overall use with the perhaps biggest focus being on watching movies/tv shows and listerning to EDM. However, after looking around for a while I noticed that these headphones also seem to have a lot of people that dislike them, which makes me a bit worried.
As someone who has never listened to anything better than the M50's, would they be a good purchase for overall use? Although the main emphasis was on movies/EDM I also plan to use them for anything that comes my way which includes other song genres as well and I'd preferably use them without an amp. Thanks to European prices the cheapest I can get these for is approximately $350 if I buy them online and $410 to buy them in a physical store, but I don't mind spending the money if they're worth it. I'm also worried a bit about the weight as I've heard they can be heavy. 
On the opposite side, I've  seen only good about the previous D5000 model, so another question that pops up in my mind is what makes the D600 worse? 

Tl;dr: Are these as good as it gets for EDM(sometimes other genres, and I also find vocals quite important)/Movies and general use for their price range?
I'm no audiophile, and as mentioned before, I haven't used anything better than the M50's. I just want a good pair of headphones for every day use at home and I don't mind putting down some money for it. I guess I already settled for these but just want a final push to finally buy them.
(Although I'm willing to put down $400 on headphones, I know the street price in the US is a lot cheaper for headphones than where I live, so if you want to recommend another pair please keep it around $300 as I will most likely have to add another $100 to it.)

Thank you in advance. ^_^

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 22
I own them. They are excellent. They have a strong low end with some nice treble. Mids are not as forward but they sound good, kind of warm but a bit on the thinner side.

If I had to nitpick I'd say they quite bright. They are actually overall a good headphone for the price.

People hate on Denon because they are not the old line. It's just petty hate.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 22
I own them. They are excellent. They have a strong low end with some nice treble. Mids are not as forward but they sound good, kind of warm but a bit on the thinner side.

If I had to nitpick I'd say they quite bright. They are actually overall a good headphone for the price.

People hate on Denon because they are not the old line. It's just petty hate.

Any comment on the soundstage and weight? Heard they're pretty heavy.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 22
The 600's, in person, look and feel very cheap. They are not very comfortable, and it feels as though you're balancing it upon your head. They look absolutely ridiculous on your head and you should never wear them in public. They sound very tinny and closed. I would highly recommend trying them in person before buying them. Best Buy should have pairs back in the Magnolia section. You can also get these for around $200.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 22
  The 600's, in person, look and feel very cheap. They are not very comfortable, and it feels as though you're balancing it upon your head. They look absolutely ridiculous on your head and you should never wear them in public. They sound very tinny and closed. I would highly recommend trying them in person before buying them. Best Buy should have pairs back in the Magnolia section. You can also get these for around $200.

Don't live in the US so my best bet is ordering them and returning them. What would you recommend instead?

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 22
in your opinion. In my opinion they're comfortable and have a sound that I like.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 22
  It would be a big advantage to me if they're closed, but I'm open to suggestions if the open ones are miles better.

Open headphones tend to be much better, but it is all of course preference. My biggest suggestion is to try before you buy, or buy somewhere that has a great return policy. There are thousands of reviews on here, and it should be easy to find a headphone if you know what you want in it. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 22
  Open headphones tend to be much better, but it is all of course preference. My biggest suggestion is to try before you buy, or buy somewhere that has a great return policy. There are thousands of reviews on here, and it should be easy to find a headphone if you know what you want in it. 

I did do quite a bit of research, and from what I've seen the D600's seem like a good match for my interests from both reviews and recommendations, which is why I asked if I should just settle down and buy it. Seems like not everyone agrees though, which is what makes the choice difficult. :p

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 22
  I did do quite a bit of research, and from what I've seen the D600's seem like a good match for my interests from both reviews and recommendations, which is why I asked if I should just settle down and buy it. Seems like not everyone agrees though, which is what makes the choice difficult. :p

Well if you're going for only closed headphones, the best I've tried under $300 are the AKG K545's. Open headphones under $300, Sennheiser HD600's and Beyer DT880 Premium's are my favorite. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 22
  I had a pair and felt they were very good.  Especially for the price.  

Thanks for the input. :)

Well if you're going for only closed headphones, the best I've tried under $300 are the AKG K545's. Open headphones under $300, Sennheiser HD600's and Beyer DT880 Premium's are my favorite. 

Why the K545's over the K550's? Besides, I've heard some negative things about the bass and the soundstage of the latter. Beside that I hear that they are good and will definitely consider them. :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 22
The K545's basically fix all complaints made against the K550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back