Denon AH-D7000
Mar 3, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #7,021 of 7,464
Yeah, i can't say my head-fi journey is complete without getting a good electrostat setup and also the finest tube amp to drive dynamics.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #7,022 of 7,464
:D  A few souls hoping to get lucky.

^ what he said. Amazon is great but not for the discontinued Denons. Our for sale board is the place.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7,023 of 7,464
Well then I should flog'em on Amazon...otherwise I'm up for well over a 1k loss. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #7,024 of 7,464
$2000, that makes no sense, unless you are a real collector.

Here is one, which is here for about a month...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/617526075.htm?ca=12_s

800€ means USD1100, with all the L.A. upgrades.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #7,025 of 7,464
Well, I have some sad news. My beloved AHD7000's look like they have a serious problem. I was using them plugged into my iMac listening to a video at work and they were fine. Then I unplugged them I stuck them into my Graham Slee Voyager portable amp and suddenly the right can wasn't working. I assumed that it was a bad connection elsewhere in the setup, but it appears with testing on multiple configurations and devices, that isn't the case. No sound at all.

Can a driver just stop working entirely and produce zero sound or output? Not even a crackle?

I don't know what to do with them now. Do I take them apart to investigate? What would I be looking for? Is there a common fault with these headphones that has this symptom? They weren't pulled, dropped or tugged before the problem emerged. I can't even find spare parts online to fix it anyway, just the Wooden cups and hangers. Sigh.

I'm a very sad bear.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #7,026 of 7,464
  Well, I have some sad news. My beloved AHD7000's look like they have a serious problem. I was using them plugged into my iMac listening to a video at work and they were fine. Then I unplugged them I stuck them into my Graham Slee Voyager portable amp and suddenly the right can wasn't working. I assumed that it was a bad connection elsewhere in the setup, but it appears with testing on multiple configurations and devices, that isn't the case. No sound at all.

Can a driver just stop working entirely and produce zero sound or output? Not even a crackle?

I don't know what to do with them now. Do I take them apart to investigate? What would I be looking for? Is there a common fault with these headphones that has this symptom? They weren't pulled, dropped or tugged before the problem emerged. I can't even find spare parts online to fix it anyway, just the Wooden cups and hangers. Sigh.

I'm a very sad bear.

First, sorry to hear this - it's never good when something you value stops working.  Since they are cabled with each driver separately via a common feed, it may be the right driver is fried somehow.  And you said no tugging, pulling or being dropped was involved, so that's strange.  Going back to the iMac they still don't work?  Not sure if a driver is available from Denon but doubt it. 

There's no "known" problem like this.  The worst that can happen is the cups fall off, which is repairable.  You can pull the pads off, unscrew the cups via the hole the pad holder mounts and look at the integrity of the solder joint/wire connection.  That's the place to start.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #7,027 of 7,464

First, sorry to hear this - it's never good when something you value stops working.  Since they are cabled with each driver separately via a common feed, it may be the right driver is fried somehow.  And you said no tugging, pulling or being dropped was involved, so that's strange.  Going back to the iMac they still don't work?  Not sure if a driver is available from Denon but doubt it. 

There's no "known" problem like this.  The worst that can happen is the cups fall off, which is repairable.  You can pull the pads off, unscrew the cups via the hole the pad holder mounts and look at the integrity of the solder joint/wire connection.  That's the place to start.

Cheers for the reply. I don't suppose you know what a blown driver typically sounds like do you? I would have expected distortion rather than not a crackle or whisper. Even pulling the headphone jack part of the way out so it goes mono in both cans doesn't seem to make it kick into action. My gut feeling is it is not a solder joint. They normally go intermittently in my experience.

If it is a solder joint, will I be likely to damage anything else using a mains powered soldering gun? All I did was plug it into a 9V portable amp. It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #7,028 of 7,464
Sorry for that. It doesnt sound like a blown driver to me. It sounds like a connection issue, even is you didnt drop, tug, etc, these things happen...it could have been holding on by a thread, there is not much to it. I bet a solder will fix it up for you. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7,030 of 7,464
Well, the reality is, it isn't a loose wire. I've just opened the can up and checked. There wasn't any sign of pulling or bad solder on the red or the black. I've checked the circuit from the wire terminal to the jack with a digital multimeter and the circuit completes. I guess you could say I'm one unfortunate mofo. The finger is pointing at the Graham Slee Voyager amp zapping the driver. God knows how though.

Are there any other checks I can do before I break this thing down and sell it for spares?

Absolutely gutted. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #7,031 of 7,464
Well, the reality is, it isn't a loose wire. I've just opened the can up and checked. There wasn't any sign of pulling or bad solder on the red or the black. I've checked the circuit from the wire terminal to the jack with a digital multimeter and the circuit completes. I guess you could say I'm one unfortunate mofo. The finger is pointing at the Graham Slee Voyager amp zapping the driver. God knows how though.

Are there any other checks I can do before I break this thing down and sell it for spares?

Absolutely gutted. 

IME, drivers dont just stop working. I would definitely try to recable it before Selling it for parts.

You could also contact Denon and consider sending it in for repairs.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #7,034 of 7,464

I didn't hear that story. What happened?

I sent my D7000's to Mark and I was not happy with the results. Best to leave them stock in my opinion.

blink.gif
 ... if I don't sell mine I better leave it as Stock.  What you didn't like about the modification ? how the sound signature differ from the stock one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back