Denon AH-D7000
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #7,052 of 7,464
That's more than double what I paid for both of mine. I can't justify paying so much for ANY headphone, especially ones I got for $600 or so.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #7,053 of 7,464
That's more than double what I paid for both of mine. I can't justify paying so much for ANY headphone, especially ones I got for $600 or so.
It's almost three times what I got mine for. But my box has a scratch on the soft top, so I guess a pristine box is worth the extra money.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #7,054 of 7,464
Sorry to ear that too. 
frown.gif

But unless there has been a physical damage with the driver, I don't see any reason to have a failure from that part.

I've already seen 40 yo cans, with damaged drivers : they were still working (but weren't usable anymore)

I also think a "sudden death" is more probably a wire issue.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #7,056 of 7,464

Sorry to ear that too. 
frown.gif

But unless there has been a physical damage with the driver, I don't see any reason to have a failure from that part.

I've already seen 40 yo cans, with damaged drivers : they were still working (but weren't usable anymore)

I also think a "sudden death" is more probably a wire issue.

When I get the chance I'm going to try a basic rewire with some old headphone cable I can rummage out of  my junk box. Maybe it's to do with the jack end and not the can at all. Fingers crossed.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #7,057 of 7,464
$1450? Ouch... for that price just get TH900 unless you are a collector.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #7,058 of 7,464
  If your Porsche dealer breaks your Porsche, throws it in the trash, and then replaces it with a chevy sonic then yeah I would look elsewhere. My car insurance sent my 2010 vdub golf to a ford dealership for repairs. Did an amazing job.

Well, after reading your response above I decided to read the "woe is me" thread. I think your analogy above is sorely off-base. Here's what I think...

The A100 was basically a limited production (one year) D1100 with a wood instead of plastic cup. And unfortunately, the D1100 was a $200 (retail) portable headphone with a well documented reputation for cracking plastic arms.

NOTE: A couple years ago I wanted to get a pair of D1000's but learned they were discontinued. I bought a pair of D1100's instead and paid about $120. I noticed hairline cracks in the arms a few days after purchase and so I went online and after a bit of research learned that the cracking was a widespread problem. I returned them immediately and for $80 more bought a pair of D2000's instead.

One year after he bought his A100's he noticed the tell tale cracks that so many owners have commented on but he did nothing about it (?). Then, after waiting at least a few more weeks (he didn't specify) he finally took his headphones back to the store for repair. The store sent them to Denon.

More weeks passed (he didn't specify how many) and Denon informed the store that the repair parts were no longer available because of the limited production of the A100 and offered to either return the broken pair (?) or replace them with a brand new D600, which is Denon's $500 audiophile headphone that replaced the D2000. The store called for approval but the guys wife answered the phone (?) and she gave the go-ahead.

He subsequently read up on the D600 and learned that it wasn't well loved so he called the store to see if they could get his A100's back, but he was told that he was too late - his A100's had been "scrapped!" But Denon and the store wanted to keep him happy so they gave him a pair of D7100's!

So he gave up a broken $400 portable headphone and ended up with a $1200 audiophile headphone - a happy ending right? Wrong. Our hero, after more than a year of D7100 ownership, decided there was something wrong with them (maybe all the bad reviews?), so back to the store he went. That was a year ago and he still hasn't finished his tale. He did begin gushing about his new pair of HE-500s shortly after returning the D7100's though so I guess it all worked out alright.
biggrin.gif

I think it's too bad that Denon based their 100 Anniversary headphone on poor quality portable model instead of their TOTL D7000. My guess is that by the time they began planning the A100 they already knew that their relationship with Foster was ending and so they had to come up with an alternative - hence the woody D1100. It was a poor decision on so many levels - foremost of which is that the D1100 sounds like a muddy mess - basically a very handsome CAL! ($70 on Amazon right now!).

I think it's too bad that our hero didn't research the D1100 like he did the D600 and D7100. It would have taken all of 10 minutes to see that the A100 was the Cadillac Cimarron (I know, another car analogy) of the headphone world...lol. Not completely his fault though - he was loyal to Denon based on previous purchases and was right to expect good quality. Of course, a prudent audio enthusiast should know to look past the wood cups and fancy box.

What I suspect happened is that he bought the A100's before discovering head-fi and so was pleased as punch with them. By the time Denon offered him the D600's, he had discovered head-fi and become a more informed enthusiast - he now knew that the A100's weren't very good and the new, non-Foster Denon's were pale shadows of the discontinued D2000/5000/7000. Clearly, once he was savvy and learned that the Denon's were not all that, he became determined to use the cracked A100 debacle as a means to pocket some cash and acquire the then darling of the head-fi community - the HE-500.

As for the Denon bashing - sure, you can criticize them for marketing the A100 as an audiophile headphone, but they clearly went above and beyond to try and make our intrepid hero happy. Think what you want about the D7100, but nobody can deny that it is a HUGE step up from the A100.

First world problems... :p

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #7,059 of 7,464
Well I can now confirm that the right can is definitely dead. I just desoldered the working left side and attached the wires to the right can's terminals. Nothing. Absolutely dead. So it's not a wiring issue.

The question that remains now is should I break these down and sell them for spares (I still have the original box too) so I can recoup a little of what I've lost and replace them with something of similar quality or does anyone else have a bright idea to fix my woes?

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7,060 of 7,464
Both are right and wrong tbh. Ofc no one should destroy the property of someone else. Well the company tried to compensate by giving him the most expensive headphone they had. But because it is not considered that good, here we are discussing about it. If he was given a D7000 instead I wonder if we would be talking about it now

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7,061 of 7,464

Well, after reading your response above I decided to read the "woe is me" thread. I think your analogy above is sorely off-base. Here's what I think...

The A100 was basically a limited production (one year) D1100 with a wood instead of plastic cup. And unfortunately, the D1100 was a $200 (retail) portable headphone with a well documented reputation for cracking plastic arms.

NOTE: A couple years ago I wanted to get a pair of D1000's but learned they were discontinued. I bought a pair of D1100's instead and paid about $120. I noticed hairline cracks in the arms a few days after purchase and so I went online and after a bit of research learned that the cracking was a widespread problem. I returned them immediately and for $80 more bought a pair of D2000's instead.

One year after he bought his A100's he noticed the tell tale cracks that so many owners have commented on but he did nothing about it (?). Then, after waiting at least a few more weeks (he didn't specify) he finally took his headphones back to the store for repair. The store sent them to Denon.

More weeks passed (he didn't specify how many) and Denon informed the store that the repair parts were no longer available because of the limited production of the A100 and offered to either return the broken pair (?) or replace them with a brand new D600, which is Denon's $500 audiophile headphone that replaced the D2000. The store called for approval but the guys wife answered the phone (?) and she gave the go-ahead.

He subsequently read up on the D600 and learned that it wasn't well loved so he called the store to see if they could get his A100's back, but he was told that he was too late - his A100's had been "scrapped!" But Denon and the store wanted to keep him happy so they gave him a pair of D7100's!

So he gave up a broken $400 portable headphone and ended up with a $1200 audiophile headphone - a happy ending right? Wrong. Our hero, after more than a year of D7100 ownership, decided there was something wrong with them (maybe all the bad reviews?), so back to the store he went. That was a year ago and he still hasn't finished his tale. He did begin gushing about his new pair of HE-500s shortly after returning the D7100's though so I guess it all worked out alright.
biggrin.gif

I think it's too bad that Denon based their 100 Anniversary headphone on poor quality portable model instead of their TOTL D7000. My guess is that by the time they began planning the A100 they already knew that their relationship with Foster was ending and so they had to come up with an alternative - hence the woody D1100. It was a poor decision on so many levels - foremost of which is that the D1100 sounds like a muddy mess - basically a very handsome CAL! ($70 on Amazon right now!).

I think it's too bad that our hero didn't research the D1100 like he did the D600 and D7100. It would have taken all of 10 minutes to see that the A100 was the Cadillac Cimarron (I know, another car analogy) of the headphone world...lol. Not completely his fault though - he was loyal to Denon based on previous purchases and was right to expect good quality. Of course, a prudent audio enthusiast should know to look past the wood cups and fancy box.

What I suspect happened is that he bought the A100's before discovering head-fi and so was pleased as punch with them. By the time Denon offered him the D600's, he had discovered head-fi and become a more informed enthusiast - he now knew that the A100's weren't very good and the new, non-Foster Denon's were pale shadows of the discontinued D2000/5000/7000. Clearly, once he was savvy and learned that the Denon's were not all that, he became determined to use the cracked A100 debacle as a means to pocket some cash and acquire the then darling of the head-fi community - the HE-500.

As for the Denon bashing - sure, you can criticize them for marketing the A100 as an audiophile headphone, but they clearly went above and beyond to try and make our intrepid hero happy. Think what you want about the D7100, but nobody can deny that it is a HUGE step up from the A100.

First world problems... :p

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #7,062 of 7,464
Well I can now confirm that the right can is definitely dead. I just desoldered the working left side and attached the wires to the right can's terminals. Nothing. Absolutely dead. So it's not a wiring issue.

The question that remains now is should I break these down and sell them for spares (I still have the original box too) so I can recoup a little of what I've lost and replace them with something of similar quality or does anyone else have a bright idea to fix my woes?

I will contact D&M if they sell the replacement drivers. Not sure tho.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607330/how-to-repair-your-denon-d-2000-d-5000-and-d-7000-headphones-if-your-cup-has-fallen-off-the-gimbal

http://www.dmglobal.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #7,063 of 7,464

Don't give up that easy.  Try Lawton Audio - ask Mark where you can find a driver or the place Canadian411 gave the website address for - keep the faith! 

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #7,065 of 7,464
  I wonder how much TH900 drivers cost...
biggrin.gif

Ya I really wonder how much it really cost to make the driver only,.

If I can just get another TH900 drivers I will make my own cups (with lathe, woodwork ^^) and headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back