Denon AH-D7000
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #7,381 of 7,464
Dec 15, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #7,382 of 7,464
This is a different shaft than the cap for the D2000, D5000, and D7000, but could potentially work if they have the screw for it. Do we know exactly what is needed for the Fostex headband to ear assembly like we do with the exploded view of the AHDs? It might be worth to buy the whole screw shaft assembly for Fostex and see if that works instead. Here is the link to the shaft on the TH900: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/539593-fostex-1420606309-shaft-for-th-900

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #7,383 of 7,464
I was able to use a 4-40 flat head machine screw, washers, and an acorn nut to reconnect the headband to the ear cup. Actually probably sturdier and longer lasting than the stock connection and looks really nice.

IMG_20181217_231210.jpg

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #7,384 of 7,464
Nice work fixing these excellent headphones. I'll never sell mine...............

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7,385 of 7,464
I was able to repair the cup to headband assembly with the Fostex TH900 shaft and screw and now it looks just like the OEM Denon assembly! They don't fit correct initially so it requires cutting and sanding down the TH900 shaft and then widening the slot on the headband, but it is absolutely perfect when finished! I can provide more detailed instructions if anyone wants it. These are the parts I ordered from Full Compass for the repair as well:

1420606309 - Shaft for TH-900
8204608115 - M2X6 BD Screw for TH900

Also thanks u/Oregonian for letting me know about Full Compass.

And here is a photo of the finished product. I can't tell a difference from stock now:

IMG_20190105_173131.jpg

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #7,386 of 7,464
Great job to keep a great headphone! Glad I could help................and I still love my 7000's and listen to them every day at work!

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #7,387 of 7,464
I recently had a Mark Lawton Tune-Up (Level 3 on the D7000 and Level 2 on the D2000) a pair of Denon AH-D7000 along with a brand spanking new pair of AH-D2000 that was sent to Mark in their unopened factory box. On top of the Tune-Ups, I also had Mark install a stunningly beautiful set of Zebra Wood cups for the D7000, and a Black Hornet cable on the D2000. I will post pics soon, and a much more in depth review, but I just wanted to come on here to say what an amazing job Mark did on both sets of my Denons. Let me tell you, my D7000, and now also including my D2000, my high end headphones are some of my most personally valued possessions, a mark of my lifelong search for perfect sounding equipment. Given that to date my D7000 are the most amazing sounding headphones I have ever had on my ears, and the list is incredibly long, not only of the ones I own, but the sets I have demo'd over the years as well, and as such allowing my beloved D7000 out of my sight was a very difficult proposition, as Mark can attest. Well, rest assured that not only did Mark treat my headphones as if they were his own, he also accomplished something that I honestly dids not know was possible, he made what I already believed was the best sounding headphones (D7000), I have ever listened to, and he made them sound even better. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I pulled the trigger on both sets, in fact I am considering having Mark install a new cable on the D7000, as the third party cable I had installed at the time of purchase from a well known dealer, pales in comparison with the cable Mark installed onto the D2000. The sound stage has been expanded, but the signature Denon sound with that unparalleled bass still remains. I literally could not be happier with my decision, and wanted to assure anyone that may be on the fence about sending your beloved headphones off to Mark, be at ease and pull the trigger, you will absolutely be happy that you made the decision to do so. I will post pictures as soon as I am able, but the Zebrawood ear cups are truly stunning in appearance, you have no idea how many compliments I have received on them, by random people who have seen me wearing them, and the sound is absolutely on par with the appearance. The pictures on Mark's site, http://www.lawtonaudio.com, simply do not do these cups justice, and the Angle Pads are like air surrounding your ears, so soft and subtle it is like you are not wearing anything on your ears at all.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #7,388 of 7,464
Sometime last year I snagged a pair of beat-up d7000's and I loved the way they sounded but the condition was a little bit much for me. After running around with the x00 line a little and even th900's I re-bought another d7000 that was "pristine". Well pristine was more like "nice shape but with disintegrating headband and disintegrating lips on the ear pads from being stuffed and stretched with cotton.

I bought a new headband pad from full compass; it was not cheap around $45 shipped. If you attempt this job you need to be extremely surgical in removing and re-installing the screws. Loc-tite is recommended and always always always counter-screw to line the bolts up before clockwise screw. The parts are soft as hell aluminum and the bolts are steel with not much meat; this is a recipe for disaster.

Then i went looking for pads, the closest we can get from Fostex is the TH610 pads (About $80). They are not as padded as the original and the ear opening of OG is still larger than the th-610.

I tried Dekoni x00 hybrid elite and they boost too much mid-bass and treble. I bet the midrange also suffered a bit too. They did sound really nice with vinyl listening though which for my rig needed the extra V shape.

I ordered these wang_yifei China pads a month ago and they finally arrived today. These are it chief. The padding is just as thick as OG, the ear opening is larger than X00 style pads but not quite as big as the OG. An improvement over the 610 pads due to less apparent treble bump. The China pads are way more neutral and don't seem to sacrifice the mids. I will admit there is still some treble business going on but it's far less than any previously mentioned pads including the falling apart OG's. Best of all the build quality is better than I expected. Hopefully they last!

Get 'em while you still can! $35 shipped and a SOLID 1 month ship time (thanks ebay "speed-pak")

I don't recommend buying TH900 pads but I would be curious to know how they fare on the old d7k. Largest ear opening, very soft and comfortable.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #7,389 of 7,464
I ordered these wang_yifei China pads a month ago and they finally arrived today. These are it chief. The padding is just as thick as OG, the ear opening is larger than X00 style pads but not quite as big as the OG. An improvement over the 610 pads due to less apparent treble bump. The China pads are way more neutral and don't seem to sacrifice the mids. I will admit there is still some treble business going on but it's far less than any previously mentioned pads including the falling apart OG's. Best of all the build quality is better than I expected. Hopefully they last!

Get 'em while you still can! $35 shipped and a SOLID 1 month ship time (thanks ebay "speed-pak")

I don't recommend buying TH900 pads but I would be curious to know how they fare on the old d7k. Largest ear opening, very soft and comfortable.

Hmm, thanks for sharing this. I might have to try those. I managed to get pair of original pads for my D2000 from Denon, they seem to be identical to originals except the back part of the pad is not as THICC. Havent tried them yet because the stock pads are fortunately still in a fairly good condition.

How is the fabric in the middle, is it thicker than on OG?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #7,390 of 7,464
10 years with these headphones and I still love them. My heandbad is a bit beat up. I wish i could fix that but seems complicated. Other then that i cant seem to find a better headphone and I have demoed a lot.

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #7,391 of 7,464
Sometime last year I snagged a pair of beat-up d7000's and I loved the way they sounded but the condition was a little bit much for me. After running around with the x00 line a little and even th900's I re-bought another d7000 that was "pristine". Well pristine was more like "nice shape but with disintegrating headband and disintegrating lips on the ear pads from being stuffed and stretched with cotton.

I bought a new headband pad from full compass; it was not cheap around $45 shipped. If you attempt this job you need to be extremely surgical in removing and re-installing the screws. Loc-tite is recommended and always always always counter-screw to line the bolts up before clockwise screw. The parts are soft as hell aluminum and the bolts are steel with not much meat; this is a recipe for disaster.

Then i went looking for pads, the closest we can get from Fostex is the TH610 pads (About $80). They are not as padded as the original and the ear opening of OG is still larger than the th-610.

I tried Dekoni x00 hybrid elite and they boost too much mid-bass and treble. I bet the midrange also suffered a bit too. They did sound really nice with vinyl listening though which for my rig needed the extra V shape.

How are you liking the China pads? I´m also looking for replacement pads for my D5000, the stock pads are pretty worn out and the synthetic leather is jus falling in tiny pieces. I also had a look at the Fosex Th610 pads but I´m unsure. I don´t want to change the sound signature of the headphone, I love it stock.

I could get 3 pairs of china pads for the price of just one pair of fostex pads.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #7,392 of 7,464
Guys, for the Denon D7000 line (having owned 2 D5000's and 2 D2000's - one of which I still use) the Lawton angle pads are my favorites. Have them on my LA7000 and MD2000, and after over 5 years use look new on the LA7000.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #7,394 of 7,464
Apologies for bumping this thread. I took apart my ah-d7000 to troubleshoot an issue I was having and noticed there was no dampening material (the white material in the back of the cup which can be seen here at 3:25). Is this material also found on the ah-d7000 in stock form? I am wondering if one of the previous owners removed the dampening material or if this model never had it.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #7,395 of 7,464
Apologies for bumping this thread. I took apart my ah-d7000 to troubleshoot an issue I was having and noticed there was no dampening material (the white material in the back of the cup which can be seen here at 3:25). Is this material also found on the ah-d7000 in stock form? I am wondering if one of the previous owners removed the dampening material or if this model never had it.

No. D7000 never had dampening material inside the cups, as in the D2000 and TH900.
Care to tell us what kind of issue you are troubleshooting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back