Denon AH-D7000
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5,101 of 7,464

Quote:
Hey guys,

This summer I'm going to be in an office that is very open and...loud, to say the least. What's isolation and leakage like on the D7000? Since I will be wearing headphones all day, everyday I don't have a price limit (tentatively), so I've been looking at the D7000s.

Thanks!

I would suggest you audition these before you buy if leakage and isolation are your priority.
Although these are not as open as an, um, open cans, they are not that great at keeping sound in or out. All cans I've had before (M50, HFI-580, PRO900, 770PRO) do much better job at keeping the sound in/out.

Of course, it will depend on how loud you listen to but moderate to loud levels, people around you (several feet away) CAN hear what you are listening to (as noted to me by my coworkers).
And, you CAN hear conversation around you when listening at low levels as I have experienced. As far as closed cans go, I would rate them below average for sound isolation. They are super comfortable though.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,102 of 7,464
Thanks for the advice! There are definitely differing opinions on this so I will see if there is someone in my area who has a pair.

ElectronicsExpo makes it super tempting, though...

Quote:
I would suggest you audition these before you buy if leakage and isolation are your priority.
Although these are not as open as an, um, open cans, they are not that great at keeping sound in or out. All cans I've had before (M50, HFI-580, PRO900, 770PRO) do much better job at keeping the sound in/out.

Of course, it will depend on how loud you listen to but moderate to loud levels, people around you (several feet away) CAN hear what you are listening to (as noted to me by my coworkers).
And, you CAN hear conversation around you when listening at low levels as I have experienced. As far as closed cans go, I would rate them below average for sound isolation. They are super comfortable though.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,103 of 7,464

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! There are definitely differing opinions on this so I will see if there is someone in my area who has a pair.

ElectronicsExpo makes it super tempting, though...

I am not saying these will be like "OMG, I can hear everything!" but don't expect complete privacy. I use all my cans in an office environment and this was my main concern. Now, I don't care much as long as I can't hear the outside noise by cranking up 
biggrin.gif

Other than that, these are awesome cans for the money (from EE at ~ $580) and highly highly recommended.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #5,104 of 7,464

Lol, to be totally honest...isolation is more important than leakage, so that would be my solution as well :wink:
Quote:
I am not saying these will be like "OMG, I can hear everything!" but don't expect complete privacy. I use all my cans in an office environment and this was my main concern. Now, I don't care much as long as I can't hear the outside noise by cranking up 
biggrin.gif

Other than that, these are awesome cans for the money (from EE at ~ $580) and highly highly recommended.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5,106 of 7,464

Quote:
Does adding dynamat to the back of the cups make them better with isolation?

I am not sure but I think that will change the sound signature you are reflecting back any sound that was meant to go through the wooden cup. Again, I am 100% guessing. One thing I did find was that a good portion of leak happens through the pad/face area.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5,107 of 7,464
Still loving the Denons here. I go between the D7000's and the Beyer T1's, and I'm pretty content. Both are wonderful (with the right amps). I intend on owning the Aud'eze's eventually, but with these cans I'm feeling no hankering to upgrade.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #5,108 of 7,464

Quote:
I am not sure but I think that will change the sound signature you are reflecting back any sound that was meant to go through the wooden cup. Again, I am 100% guessing. One thing I did find was that a good portion of leak happens through the pad/face area.

That is also my sense of where leaking occurs due to the very light clamping pressure.  I wouldn't trade the superb comfort for additional isolation since for me these are strictly at-home headphones.  The leakage is really a non-factor as far as I am concerned.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5,109 of 7,464
In the wee hours before sunrise this morning, I indulged in the DVD Audio disc "Starker Plays Baker" - 24/96 kHz Janos Starker. I paired my newly received 6AS7 OTL based amp with my recabled Denon D7000 - Zeus Quad22 OCC Copper 4x22 AWG - XLR (Balanced w/matching adapter). The sound emitting through the Denon's was extraordinary! I rarely see Classical & D7000 in the same sentence... not my loss! 
wink.gif

41BN5NVMMCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Singer Of Songs - Weavers Of Dreams

[size=small] 1. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Rollins (Tribute to Sonny Rollins)[/size]
[size=small] 2. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Miles (Tribute to Miles Davis)[/size]
[size=small] 3. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Yancey (Tribute to Jimmy Yancey)[/size]
[size=small] 4. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Robeson (Tribute to Paul Robeson)[/size]
[size=small] 5. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Trane (Tribute to John Coltrane)[/size]
[size=small] 6. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Duke (Tribute to Duke Ellington)[/size]
[size=small] 7. Singers Of Songs/Weavers Of Dreams - Dizzy (Tribute to Dizzy Gillespie)[/size]
[size=small] 8. Sonata For Cello And Piano - 1st Movement - Fast[/size]
[size=small] 9. Sonata For Cello And Piano - 2nd Movement - Slow[/size]
[size=small] 10. Sonata For Cello And Piano - 3rd Movement - Fast[/size]

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5,110 of 7,464
I bought another pair and noticed the 2012 version has better ear pads. More padding and firmer.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #5,113 of 7,464
Mar 6, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #5,114 of 7,464

Quote:
I bought another pair and noticed the 2012 version has better ear pads. More padding and firmer.

Bought mine in May 2011. Thanks for the info, I'll at least inquire... and see how much I'm valued in the company's eyes. DjAmtraX, I wanted to ask you about your comment - "the 2012 version has better ear pads." Is this from a comfort point of view or does the sound stage benefit as well? Thanks.
popcorn.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #5,115 of 7,464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back