Denon AH-D7100
Apr 13, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #31 of 86
  I'm pretty sure he was saying that the build quality in his D7100 is better than in his HD650

Yes that's exactly what I was trying to convey - thanks and apologies for the confusion.

My point was to highlight the value of the Denons at a $600 price point - £400 in UK and was £350 over xmas. Wood enclosure which is beautifully finished, luxuary leather cups, two cables that would cost collectively approx  4-5 times the cost of the Senn HD650 Cable/adaptor.

Understandably these cans were slated when released at $1200. They need to sound incredibly special at that price and they didn't. But the build "quality" as per cans, accessories and packaging definately was around that ball-park.

Now at £400 they are a steal for build quality and for sound quality alone, are about the right price point  - clearly better sounding than my Sennheiser Momentum which currently cost £260, about a third less than 7100.

As stated, this is using portable gear - iPhone 4s or iBasso DX100

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #32 of 86
Spent some time today comparing my D7100's to my D7000's

These cans have a very similar sound signature and it seems that the D7100 are a tad more efficient, I was using my Burson amp and listening to lossless files, everything from Deadmau5 to John Coltrane.

Both are great headphones in my book and provide me with the Denon sound signature that I really like, to anybody who missed out on the D7000's I don't think you will be lost going with the D7100, especially at the current prices, and the D7100 are definitely much more durable than my D7000.

BTW the D7100 actually feel more comfy to me.

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #33 of 86
  Thanks for the "thumbs-up" Vladguardian.

I must say that after 3 days I'm very please with this headphone purchase and can highly recommend them at the £400 mark.

Using iPhone 4, iBasso DX100 or Grace m903, plus a well recorded piece of music and they are a real pleasure - very enjoyable.

They are also less forgiving to poor recordings or music heavily compressed by the recording studio - highlighting their detail retrieval and clarity. Very much like my Grado RS1 but with more bass and arguably just a tad less excitement.

Not categorically sure but using the iPhone cable does seem to drop the sound quality from DX100, especially in the bass detail, but to early to decide if the drop in sound outweighs the convenience of the short cable - especially if I'm moving from iPhone so short cable is currently connected.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who HAS provided a welcoming home to these beauties i.e. appreciations.

I know you're out there
wink.gif

That sounds great when you can compare  them soundwise to your Grado RS1, as the Denon Comes with great cables, much more luxuoury refinement buildwise.At the current Price in Germany this might be the ones I will go for.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #34 of 86
  Hmmm... D7100 are very controversial headphones...
Last time, connected to Arkhipov'S Melo they sounded very LoFi for me...
angry_face.gif

Other times, connected to AK120 it seemed so spectacular...
So I concluded that they DOESN'T LIKE powerful amplification.
AK120 has no powerful amps, so sound is really great.

Yes ,you can say that, but the German Magazine Audio listet them as their top reference headphones only toppped by the extremely expensive Stax models, but in Quality/Price relation the Denons get on the "Audio" throne, I know this is all relative, but I guess they can´t be that bad after all. Anyway I will buy them to.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #35 of 86
Just got one today. Bass is great.
Wondering if they need to worm up. Probably...Anyway they sound really good.
I have also Sennheiser HD650 and HD800 so I have something to compare.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #37 of 86

Yes ,you can say that, but the German Magazine Audio listet them as their top reference headphones only toppped by the extremely expensive Stax models, but in Quality/Price relation the Denons get on the "Audio" throne, I know this is all relative, but I guess they can´t be that bad after all. Anyway I will buy them to.

They may not "need" an amplifier, but from day two of my ownership, they sound phenomenal out of a vintage Realistic receiver.  I'm feeding Pandora--->FiiO E-10 DAC--->Realistic STA-64B receiver (18 wpc low power wonder) into the D7100's.  The bass with the loudness switch thrown is epic.  Deep, clean, and the soundstage and highs are the other two things that really caught me off guard that I love about them. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #39 of 86
hi guys, I received my D7100 today and I'm loving it! I do have one gripe with this headphone, the carrying bag is trash! I can barely fit the 7100 in it! Did anyone buy a 3rd party hard case for their 7100?

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #42 of 86

D7100 is much much better to my HD650 build wise. I'm taking into account the cans, cables, beautiful matching stand and packaging. D7100 is also better soundwise.

I found if I'm wide awake HD650 is lacking in fun and immersion and that'ss from either GS Novo amp or grace m903 - i need to be tired to appreciate them.

An area that isn't covered is matching headphone with my concious state. We all know the HD650 is  dark headphone. But what does that really mean. If the brightness of a TV is set very low and you watch the TV in a dark room the picture comes across perfectly. But the same picture in a very very bright room and you can't see the picture well. For me it's the same with headphones. A dark headphone like the HD650 needs a dark "state of mind" i.e. I need to be tired to be able to hear the sound as it's meant to be. If I'm wide a wake, upbeat, then a dark headphone won't portray the sound to me clearly I need a bright headphone when in that conscious state.

That is I believe why people keep changing headphones. No headphone can suit all moods, not until they come up with a "brightness control" on them - lol.

Hope I'm not rambling.

Want to agree. Im using HD650 in balanced mode with silver custommade cable and AH-D7100. They are absolutely different. I like to hear vocal and some atmospheriс songs and musis with HD650. It provides smooth, crumbly, neutral sound, but if i need punchy details with jazz, sweet vocals, drums, channel separation I take d7100. I also prefer deep, house, trance, ambients with D7100 since it provide better bass and details. 

So but I can use these headphones one after one in one album. Im using it with X-Sabre + Matrix Quattro amp.

What headphones can you recommend to my collection with different sound to D7100 and HD650? I laso tried to love ATH-Ad1000 and even ATH W5000 but it seem to me very crispy flat and no-bass headphones but very very detailed. But since Im bass-head, I want able to love them for their price. But I dont loose hope with AT

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #43 of 86
  hi guys, I received my D7100 today and I'm loving it! I do have one gripe with this headphone, the carrying bag is trash! I can barely fit the 7100 in it! Did anyone buy a 3rd party hard case for their 7100?

I have a Slappa hard case that works with the cables removed. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 86
So, I can get these for around $350... I use ah-d2k now and it's always fun to upgrade and I can't seem to find any d7100 vs d2000 anywhere so, is it worth the upgrade soundwise? 
I plan to keep my d2k as long as they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back