Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #3,811 of 4,413
I tried his eq and it’s interesting. Need to listen more, but when I go back to stock it does sound off.
Make sure you reduce the Pre Amplifying adjustment of the profile to 0 and reduce digital volume on your computer or player before toggling on/off. Otherwise the extra volume with EQ off is likely to cause it to be preferred.

EDIT:

Here's the profile for folks who are willing to give it a shot. For the bass adjustment, just put in what you think sounds best. I went with 3 for my personal use but some folks may want more.

1676160616796.png

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 11, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #3,812 of 4,413
Make sure you reduce the Pre Amplifying adjustment of the profile to 0 and reduce digital volume on your computer or player before toggling on/off. Otherwise the extra volume with EQ off is likely to cause it to be preferred.

EDIT:

Here's the profile for folks who are willing to give it a shot.
1676160177687.png
I meant when I go back to no EQ it sounds off. Like something is missing. I think I prefer it with eq is what I’m trying to say :)

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #3,813 of 4,413
I meant when I go back to no EQ it sounds off. Like something is missing. I think I prefer it with eq is what I’m trying to say :)
For sure. Yeah this one is also weird because I saw a GRAS measurement where there's a 4.5khz peak, but on the B&K it's the opposite. So... I'm hopeful folks give the profile a shot and give feedback.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #3,814 of 4,413
Interesting review, it confirms some of my own observations. The first one is that it sounds like an open back and the other one is that it's a little hollow. However I do not think it sounds honky or unnatural. My main gripe is that it lacks depth/layering despite having clarity and instrument separation like an open back. The Schiit Valhalla 2 fixed that to certain degree. It gave it some meat and layering.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #3,815 of 4,413
It seems to me that the EQ was done based on the graph results. In my case I create EQ based on long & multiple sessions with wide genre of music plus few selected tracks for certain frequency focus. I also fine tune it for the rest of the sessions but I get my final results. I only use measurement graph as a rough guidance to point my attention to the specific frequency range. I would say I set my EQ based on 80% listening and 20% graph.

For example I tried recommended Harman EQ for few headphones and I have never liked the results. On the other side once I complete my EQ I rarely turn that off.

Unfortunately, I do not own D9200 right now but made EQs for all my collection. If anybody has preferred EQ settings for the D9200 or D7200 pls share, I am always keen to try.

Happy Listening :)

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #3,816 of 4,413
It seems to me that the EQ was done based on the graph results. In my case I create EQ based on long & multiple sessions with wide genre of music plus few selected tracks for certain frequency focus. I also fine tune it for the rest of the sessions but I get my final results. I only use measurement graph as a rough guidance to point my attention to the specific frequency range. I would say I set my EQ based on 80% listening and 20% graph.

For example I tried recommended Harman EQ for few headphones and I have never liked the results. On the other side once I complete my EQ I rarely turn that off.
As you should! EQing to Harman is bound to sound not quite right given the smoothing. The difference here is that this measurement is done with the B&K 5128, and the target is based on a DFHRTF for that system with an 8dB tilt, and importantly it doesn't have 1/2 octave smoothing of Harman, and that's why you see more fine-grained features in the reference curve. Now... I still think you should EQ to your own ear, because headphones behave differently on different heads. But now that we a measurement system that's more accurate without the Harman smoothing we can be more precise with EQ - and ideally it should improve timbre quite a bit.

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #3,817 of 4,413
Yeah, it's a much better headphone than the review is portraying it out to be. I prefer the D9200's over a majority of the closed back headphones I've heard. Including the LCD-XC's, HE-R10P's, TH900 MK2's, Radiante's, Z1R's and host of others I've owned and sold. It's so balanced from top to bottom with very good technicalities. I just don't hear it like he's hearing it.
I can’t agree with you the comparisons with the R10P but everything else yes I agree.

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #3,818 of 4,413
I can’t agree with you the comparisons with the R10P but everything else yes I agree.
That’s fair :). The R10P’s had some holes in its sound to my ears, but from a technical standpoint it was amazing.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #3,821 of 4,413
I had the D9200 and I don't agree with his assessment. It does not sound like $300 cans out of the box. The only person I agree with on the Headphone Show is GoldenSound.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #3,822 of 4,413
What would be the best bang for buck DAC/AMP combo for the D9200 ?
- Fostex HP-A8 (390€)
- Marantz HD-Dac1 (370€)
- Topping DX7 Pro (370€) with balanced output
- XDUOO XA-10 (270€) with balanced output
(used prices currently available in my country)
- ... ?

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,824 of 4,413
I was really looking for a wired portable hi-end headphone and have listened this at the dealer store for 2 hours last December. I love the build, design and comfort a lot. They are light, tough and beautifully built, more comfortable than Celestee. But other than that, I just can't take it. It is certainly better than $300 headphone, but to my ears not the same level resolution as Focal Celestee, Radiance or even Beyerdynamic t5. I almost never EQ, so this sound is quite unacceptable for me. Immediately I feel a bit veiled compare to Celestee at the store. Also the accessories of this headphone is lacking compare to Celestee or t5. No carrying case which is weird at this price range. Had ahd 5200 long time ago. Yes, they are certainly better than 5200 in terms of materials, but sound, accessories not good enough to justify double the price.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,825 of 4,413
I was really looking for a wired portable hi-end headphone and have listened this at the dealer store for 2 hours last December. I love the build, design and comfort a lot. They are light, tough and beautifully built, more comfortable than Celestee. But other than that, I just can't take it. It is certainly better than $300 headphone, but to my ears not the same level resolution as Focal Celestee, Radiance or even Beyerdynamic t5. I almost never EQ, so this sound is quite unacceptable for me. Immediately I feel a bit veiled compare to Celestee at the store. Also the accessories of this headphone is lacking compare to Celestee or t5. No carrying case which is weird at this price range. Had ahd 5200 long time ago. Yes, they are certainly better than 5200 in terms of materials, but sound, accessories not good enough to justify double the price.
Yeah that's basically my thoughts as well (not sure about the T5). I do wish the Celestee or Radiance were as comfortable as these though. I'm really enjoying wearing these because they're super comfy - and they do sound really good with just a bit of EQ to dial it in. It's just in a tough price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back