Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #31 of 4,398
Two more months...
:triportsad:

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 4,398
Did anyone get to test the D9200 at HK high end audio show? It was on demo there but I didnt have time to go.

I reallly like the sound of my D7200, really interested in getting the 9200, if it had a bit more clarity and deeper soundstage..man.this headphone is heavenn....better than my WA22 HD800 setup for like 1/6 of th cost lol

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #34 of 4,398
I’ve had the opportunity to listen to both and compare... the 9200 at the HK high end show did indeed have more detail, sounded more refined and has improved sound stage. It also comes with a silver coated copper cable but didn’t exhibit any harshness and no exaggerated sibilants...
Denon must have figured out the right mix of materials for this cable.

The appearance of the headband looks almost similar to that of the 7200, I assume the same materials are used, but doesn’t seem to suffer from the problems the 7200 headband has for some. There’s no tight clamp and even after 30 minutes of demoing I didn’t notice any sore pressure points on my head. I was fortunate that there was no queue at the time...
If you’re considering upgrading from the 7200 you won’t be disappointed.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #35 of 4,398
After reading through this read, I must say I find it humorous if nothing else, that there are concerns about build quality and design on these Denon models, for the price, considering how successful plenty of manufacturers have been at passing off gear built similarly or worse (using thinner metal, wood and even plastic) at similar or twice the cost, in big numbers (not naming any names). Not to mention not many at the same price as the Denon's can currently be found at, I can think of very few good headphones that use chunky full metal and real wood constructions, with genuine leather (on the headband that is, not the pads, for whatever reason)... Not to say I wouldn't have liked to at least see the 9200 have, say, a smooth sandblasted finish like the Chord Mojo or something similar, and a prettier wood, like ebony, and genuine leather for the earpads (assuming they haven't done that)... Oh well. I personally find their build and performance impressive for their prices, compared to most of the competition with the 7200 and the model below it, and appropriate though not overtly ambitious for the 9200 (Assuming its similar)...
At any rate, just my 2 cents...

All that being said, I'm very much excited to see what the 9200 will do. If it can improve upon the 7200 to a degree that justifies the cost, this should be one hell of a headphone - I already found the 7200 competitive with the current "top" models in closed cans! Not to mention, I appreciates Denons more reasonable and old-school prices; remember when flagships, the utmost top of headphones, were around 1600$, and the bang for the buck mid fi options were 500$? I'm not saying you cant get good headphones at those prices anymore... But relatively speaking, the prices have gone quite silly in recent years, so seeing Denon take this more reasonable route is... refreshing, I suppose...

Oh well, one can dream!

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #36 of 4,398
I’ve had the opportunity to listen to both and compare... the 9200 at the HK high end show did indeed have more detail, sounded more refined and has improved sound stage. It also comes with a silver coated copper cable but didn’t exhibit any harshness and no exaggerated sibilants...
Denon must have figured out the right mix of materials for this cable.

The appearance of the headband looks almost similar to that of the 7200, I assume the same materials are used, but doesn’t seem to suffer from the problems the 7200 headband has for some. There’s no tight clamp and even after 30 minutes of demoing I didn’t notice any sore pressure points on my head. I was fortunate that there was no queue at the time...
If you’re considering upgrading from the 7200 you won’t be disappointed.

Great to hear some thoughts! Should be very interesting as these start to become available, and more impressions come along - not to mention hearing them in person :)

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #38 of 4,398
Seems Denon is doing a similar thing that they did with the D2000/D5000/D7000 - same chassis with slightly different drivers...............I own the D2000 and D7000 and have owned two D5000's. Love them all and my LA7000 (with Mark Lawton mods, Q French Silk cable, Lawton pads, Bubinga wood cups) is a keeper that I may never sell.

I'll be watching this thread to see if the D9200 is a step up - for the price delta it needs to be.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #40 of 4,398
I wonder how would D9200 compare to the Th-900, that ought to be a good comparison!
It should be. But unless Denon has found a way to get more nuance out of the treble then it probably won't be. The TH-900 treble is so clear and airy.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #41 of 4,398
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #44 of 4,398
Based on the pictures, specs and comparing to the D7200, looks like:
+ better cable
+ possibly different cups/driver assembly tuning, with possibly larger sound stage
* different wood cups (for better or worse)
- looks like the same headband (even though reports say they are different)
- same pads
- same drivers.

Since the sonic improvements reported on the D9200 are similar to the ones reported on the pad-modded D7200, for the price I don't have many reasons to upgrade. To be checked when it will be available, but I really like the modded D7200, it's the most linear of all closed headphones I tried and [one of] the best sounding as well, much better than the original.

It blows my mind that Denon could achieve that by a very simple mod they are NOT doing and seemingly not even attempting to optimize in that area (whereas they even claim the benefits of a certain 3D sewing pattern so I assume they have played with a few others)...

FWIW walnut sounds better IMHO than bamboo (for speakers), but might be different for headphones and I am pretty sure Denon can back the claim - but for this price increase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back