Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #4,007 of 4,412
Pads are usually outsourced and mostly handmade. Small imperfections are not a sign of bad quality.
The dust cloth might wrinkle with time, whatever you do.
The bigger problem with the ear pads is sub-optimal acoustic design; also in Denon's case.
Looks like manufacturers usually just pass down the comfort-related specs: dimensions, rough material choice, etc. to 3rd parties, and maybe (likely) there are also measurements for some samples, but usually there is not enough optimization for sound (like Focal and Sony, maybe Stax seem to do), just a "pass": eh, good enough (Mediocrates).

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #4,008 of 4,412
Pads are usually outsourced and mostly handmade. Small imperfections are not a sign of bad quality.
The dust cloth might wrinkle with time, whatever you do.
The bigger problem with the ear pads is sub-optimal acoustic design; also in Denon's case.
Looks like manufacturers usually just pass down the comfort-related specs: dimensions, rough material choice, etc. to 3rd parties, and maybe (likely) there are also measurements for some samples, but usually there is not enough optimization for sound (like Focal and Sony, maybe Stax seem to do), just a "pass": eh, good enough (Mediocrates).
I am just comparing them to my 5200s which are more than 1,5 years old and which look just perfect. And 9200's out of the box look like someone was attaching them being drunk or something like this :) I wonder if I could take them off and try to flatten them, or keep as it is because don't want to interfere into expensive handmade device :)

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #4,009 of 4,412
If it doesn't affect performance or comfort IMHO it's knit picking and making it a warranty case seems exagerated.

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #4,010 of 4,412
I am just comparing them to my 5200s which are more than 1,5 years old and which look just perfect. And 9200's out of the box look like someone was attaching them being drunk or something like this :) I wonder if I could take them off and try to flatten them, or keep as it is because don't want to interfere into expensive handmade device :)
I feel somewhat gifted that I own such an aesthetically and sound wise almost perfect device.
I also can understand, aesthetic imperfections can be really frustrating and annoying, especially with such an expensive device.
Denon should really be aware of the fact, that these pads are sometimes crap-like. But I fear, as I have read multiple times, they act more like "fire and forget" after selling their products to the dealer/salesmen.
Mine nevertheless are perfectly fine.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #4,013 of 4,412
It looks like we have to forgive Denon their issues with ear-pads because the sound is just fantastic!
Maybe you do not have read the whole thread, but if you do trust your DIY-abilities, you should really consider to search this thread for zolkis’ contributions. He did a lot of research/work on alternative pads and explains in detail, how to mod which pads and their impact on making soundstage wider, for example, exactly for this headphone.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #4,014 of 4,412
Maybe you do not have read the whole thread, but if you do trust your DIY-abilities, you should really consider to search this thread for zolkis’ contributions. He did a lot of research/work on alternative pads and explains in detail, how to mod which pads and their impact on making soundstage wider, for example, exactly for this headphone.
Indeed, I have not read the whole thread 100% :frowning2: will look for those posts, thank you so much!

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #4,015 of 4,412
May we worth trying a higher impedance source of you can get your hands on one, sounds like the driver is over dampened causing a darker sound, "more blunted" sound.
I feel it’s more about the closed back bass in this case. The VC or AC would be a closer comparison but aren’t in my line up yet, nor is the Feliks Envy (only the Elise mk2).
Also the context - the specific songs and the experience I was after (basketball lightly dropped on your head bass).

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,016 of 4,412
So I've heard mixed things about the isolation on these. Do people generally find it's sufficient for office use (a relatively busy office)...?

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #4,017 of 4,412
It's ok, not bad, not very good, just like most closed backs, on the same level like a ZMF closed back or so. It's of course way better than an HD820, but a Beyerdynamic or probably Focal is better in terms of isolation. The best isolating closed back that i've experienced is the Maxwell along with a DT1770.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #4,018 of 4,412
Thanks - helpful. I actually found the VC very isolating with certain pads but hey ho. Had read a comment somewhere saying the D9200 was almost semi-open in terms of isolation so that had me worried...

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,019 of 4,412
In my opinion the differences were not that big between all closed backs that i tried (and i tried a bunch). Most of these headphones have a a few milimeters of wood and some form of dampening material, not that much difference. Noticable winners were DT1770 (but it's a muddy bass canon) and since yesterday the Audeze Maxwell, this thing does isolate quite a good amount. Focal closed backs were also a step up from the norm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back