Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #4,246 of 4,412
I 100% agree with Rakyan! No matter how many advancements they make to a bluetooth protocol and opamp dac, running off a tiny lithium battery, its never going to measure up to true wired HIFI sound through a desktop amp, and desktop dac. I have a pair of Cowin E7 Pro's, a bluetooth can with 40mm drivers, and they have a very forward mid-range boomy sound, with literally 0-sound stage to speak of, barely any good stereo separation, and high frequencies are recessed, and the low bass teeters off at 60-hertz at best, 70-hertz at worst. And now days the battery don't hold a charge for nothing, so you got to plug a cable into it anyways for audio, as well as a USB cable to power them.

They are honestly past their prime and should be replaced if I want to keep having a wireless can for use with my tablet. Now yes, I agree, it can easily be said that the Cowin E7 Pro's, which are a few generations old from that brand, are not even audiophile grade cans, I know. But even with a pair of wireless cans that cost 300 dollars or more that are audiophile grade, are simply not going to compare to a quality wired setup. IMHO, if your planning to spend 300 dollar or more on a pair of can's, your better off buying a proper wired can, one that you know is going to perform well.
Im getting d7200 for 550$ open box
Hoping for good sound quality

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #4,250 of 4,412
My D9200 right ear-hinge loosened up since i got the HP, so now it tilts freely while the left hinge still have a little resistance. Is it normal? With time this is how it has to be, that the earcup-hinges loosens up and lost their stiffness? How about yours?

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #4,252 of 4,412
Anything that is made with absolute tight tolerances, is going to naturally wear in over time. Having said that, it shouldn't get so lose that the entire cups flop around like a cheap pair of can's. The hinge tightening can be adjusted, as there is a secret compartment in the headband hinge, a decorative cap if you will, once removed, exposes the hinge screws. (I found this out in this very thread BTW!) But I do caution anyone who decides to make adjustments to this, you got to remember, this is not the head of an engine block, if you tighten them too much, you will strip them out.

So when making adjustments, its more like adjusting the mixture on a carburetor, tiny bit will do! If your can's end up having issues due to an actual factory defect, make sure to contact Denon right away for warranty. But for the most part, I think I've only heard of 2 people on this board that had actual real issues with their D9200's on the defect level of things. So I think for most of us, we have no problems. If you need extra information on adjustment, just read the helpful resource of information in this very thread, or look up detailed reviews elsewhere online that covers that. Good luck!

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #4,253 of 4,412
I have an opportunity to buy either the 9200 or the Senn HD800s at excellent pricing right now (not that common in New Zealand, where pricing is less competitive than the USA).

Normally these are around NZ$3,000 a pair (either choice) and currently I could buy either for NZ$1,999.

I cannot audition either as no retailer near where I live.

I listen principally to acoustic jazz (Ben Webster, Miles Davis, Gene Ammons etc) and light rock like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac.

Driving will be my new Astell & Kern SP3000 (copper if that makes a difference).

I would welcome any suggestions and comments.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #4,254 of 4,412
I have an opportunity to buy either the 9200 or the Senn HD800s at excellent pricing right now (not that common in New Zealand, where pricing is less competitive than the USA).

Normally these are around NZ$3,000 a pair (either choice) and currently I could buy either for NZ$1,999.

I listen principally to acoustic jazz (Ben Webster, Miles Davis, Gene Ammons etc) and light rock like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac.

Driving will be my new Astell & Kern SP3000 (copper if that makes a difference).

Thanks
I’d opt for the D9200 without much consideration. HD800 just feels too thin and I’m not into vast soundstages (that can feel artificial). Plus the closed back nature makes the D9200 more versatile. It’s also easier to drive…

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #4,255 of 4,412

Thanks
The D9200's were my one-and-only headphones for over a year. They've got great resolution and bass, and are a bit exciting. I also felt that they sounded quite open and wide for a closed-back, They had a bit of the boxed-in sound of a closed-back, but I could overlook that. I was happy with them because I wanted a one-headphone collection, and purposely didn't try anything else,
Then I got a set of H800s's and was blown away by the timbre and soundstage - I listen to acoustic, light rock & classical. I owned a few other open-backs, like Focal Clears (OG & Mg), and HifiMans, but the Sennheisers were more 'real' sounding and immersive to me. They don't have the bass impact of the D9200s, but are fine for the genres I listen to.
At that time I was listening with an iBasso DX300 with amp12.
So, I had a similar choice to make and chose the HD800s's. Since then I've settled on HiFiMan HE100 stealths, but out of the D9200s and HD800s's I would still pick the Sennheisers.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #4,256 of 4,412
The D9200's were my one-and-only headphones for over a year. They've got great resolution and bass, and are a bit exciting. I also felt that they sounded quite open and wide for a closed-back, They had a bit of the boxed-in sound of a closed-back, but I could overlook that. I was happy with them because I wanted a one-headphone collection, and purposely didn't try anything else,
Then I got a set of H800s's and was blown away by the timbre and soundstage - I listen to acoustic, light rock & classical. I owned a few other open-backs, like Focal Clears (OG & Mg), and HifiMans, but the Sennheisers were more 'real' sounding and immersive to me. They don't have the bass impact of the D9200s, but are fine for the genres I listen to.
At that time I was listening with an iBasso DX300 with amp12.
So, I had a similar choice to make and chose the HD800s's. Since then I've settled on HiFiMan HE100 stealths, but out of the D9200s and HD800s's I would still pick the Sennheisers.
Open backs always a better choice if u dont have to be silent and can let the sound bleed. I listening in the evening or night so i have to be silent. The D9200 has zero soundstage as i heard, its very forward with every instruments and vocals. HD820 could be good, but its very controversal in the community, risky to blind buy.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #4,257 of 4,412

Thanks

Completely different use cases. Except bass HD800 as open-back will be more technical sounding, but to me staging of HD800 is not natural. The biggest downside though is limited music genres with HD800. Good for acoustic/classic in most cases, but electronic/hip-hop reproduction disappointed me. D9200 will handle everything in more intimate and closed back presentation though

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #4,258 of 4,412

I guess you don't care much about whether it's closed or open back.

The HD800S (not the 800) sound very good on their own IMHO. Sound stage is bigger and sounds more open. Perhaps a tad more hard sounding with certain recordings.
Since I wanted a good closed back, the D9200 was the choice.
Both stay well on the head, but the D9200 pads are quite small for a circumaural headphone, and feel quite stuffed as well.

I use larger, thinner and more plush ear pads with the D9200, which make the head stage huge (comparable with the HD800S), improve openness and immediacy, and sound better with jazz (Stax 009 and 007 pads, but the D5200 pads are also a good replacement). The D9200 can take a lot of type of ear pads and sound good with each, so you have a lot of opportunity to fine-tune the sound to your liking.

Not so with the HD800S, which sounds good as it is, and will not sound much better with other pads.

If I had to nitpick, the treble of the HD800S sometimes sounds more raspy, whereas the treble of the D9200 sometimes sounds more tsin'ny, so they are annoying in different ways.

All in all I think the Denon has more spectrum in its tonality, i.e. more colors to the tones, and I like the bass shape and perhaps even resolution more as well, especially with the bigger ear pads.

It's quite genre dependent, too.

Oh, and the Denon will be an easier drive for your A&K.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #4,259 of 4,412
I guess you don't care much about whether it's closed or open back.

The HD800S (not the 800) sound very good on their own IMHO. Sound stage is bigger and sounds more open. Perhaps a tad more hard sounding with certain recordings.
Since I wanted a good closed back, the D9200 was the choice.
Both stay well on the head, but the D9200 pads are quite small for a circumaural headphone, and feel quite stuffed as well.

I use larger, thinner and more plush ear pads with the D9200, which make the head stage huge (comparable with the HD800S), improve openness and immediacy, and sound better with jazz (Stax 009 and 007 pads, but the D5200 pads are also a good replacement). The D9200 can take a lot of type of ear pads and sound good with each, so you have a lot of opportunity to fine-tune the sound to your liking.

Not so with the HD800S, which sounds good as it is, and will not sound much better with other pads.

If I had to nitpick, the treble of the HD800S sometimes sounds more raspy, whereas the treble of the D9200 sometimes sounds more tsin'ny, so they are annoying in different ways.

All in all I think the Denon has more spectrum in its tonality, i.e. more colors to the tones, and I like the bass shape and perhaps even resolution more as well, especially with the bigger ear pads.

It's quite genre dependent, too.

Oh, and the Denon will be an easier drive for your A&K.
I know you have great experience with the D9200, but what about the Z1R? Will it benefit from any mods? And if you had to pick just one between the two at the same price, what would be your choice and why?
Also I am curious if you heard the Master 1 and what can you say about it.
Thanks 👍

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #4,260 of 4,412
I know you have great experience with the D9200, but what about the Z1R? Will it benefit from any mods? And if you had to pick just one between the two at the same price, what would be your choice and why?
Also I am curious if you heard the Master 1 and what can you say about it.
Thanks 👍

I gave 2-3 chances to the Z1R but could not bear its colorations and honky-muddy sound that I could not correct considerably.
There are people who can tolerate it and appreciate what it does well - I was not among them, sorry.

Never got interested enough in the Master 1, since the measurements I saw ruled them out, and I already had better e-stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back