Denon AH-MM400
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,426 of 1,435
Those pads are looking very good and great price, I will order those as next.

The HF 580 are looking great... I am planning to get some planar headphones in future but worried a bit about the bass. Can you compare a bit the bass on HF 580 vs Denon?
Do you have any other planar headphones? Im considering Sundara or Aeon 2 noire in near future.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,427 of 1,435
Those pads are looking very good and great price, I will order those as next.

The HF 580 are looking great... I am planning to get some planar headphones in future but worried a bit about the bass. Can you compare a bit the bass on HF 580 vs Denon?
Do you have any other planar headphones? Im considering Sundara or Aeon 2 noire in near future.
The bass is awesome on the Takstars. My favourite cans now. I just got a second pair to experiment with different pads. My favourites are the Aiva ones although they are a bit loose on the Taks.

I loved my Stax electrostatics a lot but the bass was always lacking a bit. The Takstars have them in spades and the overall sound quality/definition is not less than my Stax Lambda Signatures. Just my 2¢

I think the Sundara have the same drivers as the Takstars but the housing is different and they are much more expensive. I'd go for the Takstars. There are some interesting videos on YT which compare the different cans with the same drivers as the Takstars.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,428 of 1,435
Thanks, I will definitely keep an eye on them. Actually, I might go for closed back planar as I need isolation, kids :-D
My list is Aeon 2 Noire or Monolith M1060C will see if anything else comes along.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,430 of 1,435
If you still have and listen to these great headphones the Denon AH-MM400 and using your computer as a source, please try these EQ settings I have created to improve their sound. Overall these are very neutral and have great dynamic although I found them just slightly dark and thought the bass is lacking just a bit in the deep region around 20hz and also their kick at 80hz.

I am using free software the Equalizer APO with user interface plugin the PEACE also free software. These are small tweaks that make pretty big difference in the sound.

Once you install it or have it installed already please try my personal settings I have created for these. I created these based on quite a lot of listening of wide range of music genres in .flac format. I tried to open them up a bit so they could sound even more lively plus I wanted to improve their bass. I hope you find these settings useful or perhaps share your personal settings here as well.

Thumbs up if you are still listening to these :)

Attachments

• Denon_AH-MM400_EQ_settings.jpg
    Denon_AH-MM400_EQ_settings.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,431 of 1,435
Aside from the Takstar HF580 (Sorry Yawg, gonna need something more aesthetic that isn't open back), what is the most natural successor to the Denon MM-400 in terms of portable, closed-back headphones in terms of sound profile or quality?

Perhaps with less treble roll-off too.

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,432 of 1,435
Aside from the Takstar HF580 (Sorry Yawg, gonna need something more aesthetic that isn't open back), what is the most natural successor to the Denon MM-400 in terms of portable, closed-back headphones in terms of sound profile or quality?

Perhaps with less treble roll-off too.
In my book it's still the upgrade of the Denon made by the Chinese company that made the Denon, the BossHifi B8 which I have and another upgrade that I also have made by SIVGA, the 006 IIRC, there is also now this one: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002371743329.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.25784237EBNDoE&algo_pvid=d2253068-90f8-4f23-afde-a26f997d7b1d&algo_exp_id=d2253068-90f8-4f23-afde-a26f997d7b1d-21&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000023794731248"}&pdp_pi=-1;100.75;-1;-1@salePrice;EUR;search-mainSearch

All better and cheaper than the Denon. Believe it or not ...

Just found out that the SIVGA version isn't available anymore. I like the Hanadomi as it has a better cable than the BossHifi/SIVGA.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #1,433 of 1,435
Thanks to this thread I bought Denons AH-MM400. Yes! Its true! They are wonderful headphones. Suprised me a lot. Exellent soundstage with deepth to it. Sound overall is bassy with limited sparkling on top of the spectrum but if you ask me I like it. I allways liked Denon headphones sound signature. I had D5000 twice. Two times I sold them and two times I have regret. This time I'm not making this mistake :) I'm listening them using Samsung galaxy > Usb audio player pro > Tidal. I ordered Wireworld Pulse cable because it have minijack long enough (I hope) and good reviews. Will see what it brings.

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #1,434 of 1,435
Wow guys! So many questions! Stop it! Just kidding 😜

Anyway... Wireworld Pulse arrived and I tought I'm gonna share my impressions about this... WONDERFULL CABLE!!!! Stock cable needs to be removed and forgotten and replaced for example with Wireworld Pulse.

Denon mm400 lovers will be pleased to know that this cable due to it's mini jack long construction fits perfectly in Denons mm400. It's like this two manufactures worked together to build this cable.

Sound: Much more instrument separation, bigger soundstage. Damn! Its so much better in my eyes (of imagination wich is ears) now! I can now more precisely say where is that instrument playing. The sound is a bit less grainy. It's more smooth but not too much. I don't like too smooth sound so don't worry. It's Okey enough. Cable changed bass a bit. Slightly more subbas, a bit less mid and upper base. I think this made this particular headphones sound more balanced. They are still bass heavy don't worry!

Conclusion! WOW! Perfect choice for this headphones!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back