Denon D1000 vs Ultrasone HFI-550?
Jul 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tipsycoma

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am going to be running these cans off an X-fi XtremeGamer sound card. I mainly play FPS games and such. Which set of cans would run best on my sound card and which would be better for gaming?

Thank you!

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 17
I already tried the AD700, and hated them because they sounded very tinny. It's hard to explain, but they sounded like the treble was always tweaked to the highest setting. No EQ changes helped really.

I also tried the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80's, which I thought were the best closed gaming cans out there. But unfortunately I didn't like them too much either because the mids were really recessed and I feel like they had lack of detail (like footsteps in games and such) because of that.

So I'm looking into some new cans that are closed and have good bass for gaming, as well as good detailed sound and a decent sound stage.

Have you tried the HFI 550s

Thank you!

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Check out the Ultrasone HFI 580 or the Proline 550.  Amazing headphones for the price.

Thanks for your reply, man!

I can get the HFI 550's for 70 dollars. I'm not really looking to spend more than that right now. 
redface.gif

Also, aren't the HFI 580 and Proline 550 basically the same thing as the HFI 550?

Thank you!

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 17
WOW. I'm done with this forum. I can't even get a single response in regard to my original question. It's been six days already and I've been waiting to order my headphones with false hopes of actually receiving some advice.

Eff this.
mad.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
WOW. I'm done with this forum. I can't even get a single response in regard to my original question. It's been six days already and I've been waiting to order my headphones with false hopes of actually receiving some advice.

Eff this.
mad.gif

Dude be patient... I was going to respond but I have midterms dude.  Anyways, I'm sure the search function has your answers...  It seems the HFI 550 and the HFI 580 might be the same with different body.  The PRO 550 is a different class

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
sorry, impatient one.. I haven't heard the 550, so I can't comment.

Do you blame me, honestly? It's been a week since I've gotten a relevant response.

And I don't take for granted that you are responding. I actually REALLY appreciate the fact that the two of you are posting in my thread. It shows that people somewhat care enough to type something and state their mind, with intentions of trying to help.

I really need to order these cans soon. I am trying to figure out whether I should get the HFI 550 (or 580 for that matter, they both have the same drivers apparently) or the Denon D1000.

I don't want to recable my headphones, so how are the D1000 with out recabling? Would the HFI's sound better at stock?

Thank you a bunch!

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 17
HFI 580 have some of the best bass impact out of almost any headphone while still be detailed for that level of bass impact. Surprisingly the bass doesn't encroach on the mids and highs as much as it should. It is certainly clearer than Monster Beats Studios or Sony XB700 while have bass that rivals them both.

The Denons are more balanced.  However, I prefer Ultrasones for bass by far. Denons have slower bass. Ultrasones are fast and thumpy.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
HFI 580 have some of the best bass impact out of almost any headphone while still be detailed for that level of bass impact. Surprisingly the bass doesn't encroach on the mids and highs as much as it should. It is certainly clearer than Monster Beats Studios or Sony XB700 while have bass that rivals them both.

The Denons are more balanced.  However, I prefer Ultrasones for bass by far. Denons have slower bass. Ultrasones are fast and thumpy.

Thank you for your reply.

Which would you choose for FPS gaming straight out of a sound card?

I'm leaning towards the Denons just because I've heard from anyone who owns them that they're great. But the HFI 550's I can get for 70 USD, while I can get some Denons for around 62 USD. Which would be the better buy?

Thank you!

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 17
Yes.
I may add that the HFI 580 has a very upfront sound character. Sounds in the Denons may sound further away and more spacious. So for your needs, the Denons may be better for gaming. For rocking out, the 580 is a monster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back