Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,891 of 5,248
Originally Posted by rtaylor76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anybody with any feedback on HM-5 leather angled pads? Anyone?

Originally Posted by NewEinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  so we have three different angled pads:

Brainwavz angled leather (27 USD)
Mr Speaker alpha pads (60 USD)

Lawton angled pads (110 USD)

I would also be interested if its worth to go for the more expensive ones. or if there are any significant drawbacks (sound, comfort, lifetime) when going for a cheaper option.

Thanks

*runs in circles while waiting for his D5k*

====

Edit:

I was looking at the measurements ... I have a very large head so I am a bit concerned that very thick pads will lead to awkward position of the cans on my head

Brainwavz: 110x80mm - 25/40mm thick
Mr. Speaker: 108x95mm - 19/38mm thick
Lawton: (no numbers published)

Maybe I can give you an insight or two. I have D2000 for a few months now as well as my new babies Alpha Dogs, so it has given me a chance to test D2000's with the TH-600 ear pads (which came with the D2000 from the seller), Brainvawz HM5 Hybrid pads and Alpha Pads and now with the "Stock" DXXXX style earpads from ebay

TL;DR: The TH-600 pads are great, but the Stock earpads are dominating - I approve Fostex's (Foster's) choice for the stock headphones.
................................................................................
TH-600 pads:
- airy, bassy, alive, amazing..

"Stock" DXXXX style earpads:
- everything I love about TH-600 ones, but with less mid-bass bump, touch narrower (in my opinion or understanding) soundstage and nicely more detailed highs

HM5 Hybrid pads:
- terrible, no soundstage, bass is gone, highs are more present (too much, just too much...) - bleh, TBH since I have them, there are no headphones I like them with

Alpha Pads:
- well, similar to TH-600 pads, but little bit less alive compared to the TH-600 pads

Comments:
TH-600 vs. Stock - I have to say, with these I feel it is a classic case of lower distance from the driver, the better (more detailed, less bloated) result will be...
................................................................................

But personally, I would like to give a shot to some stock-ish pads, just like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920 leather ones, not pleather ones. These are made from pleather as well..

BTW, https://www.amazon.de/WEWOM-Hochwertige-Ersatz-Ohrpolster-DENON/dp/B00G8IOQTO/ these just look that good on the shot, but it is just a placebo, the look will be different as those are made of pleather, not leather, which has that silky feeling and shiny looks...well, and great sound capabilities.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #4,892 of 5,248
^^^ When you say alive, you think about lower treble spike that denons are known for ?

Its a pity that you dont have original denon pads for sake of comparison, but suppose these will be good to, all in all interested in your findings.

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,893 of 5,248
Apparently, Dekoni just dropped some TH-X00 ear pads on Massdrop.

I put in my order for both the pleather and the sheepskin ear pads. Seems like a pretty great deal, esp. since you can't really find decent parts for the Dx000 headphones that often.

Really needed these since my pads are flaking. Now all I need are some replacement cups and another left hanger top, and my headphones will be like new again.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,894 of 5,248
Yeah, they look like stock ones. After you posted I have consider ordering them, but international shipping is heavily inflated. Keep us posted, thx

If anyone has ZMF omni pads mounted on d2000 denons it would be nice to spare a few words about changes in sound.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #4,895 of 5,248
  Yeah, they look like stock ones. After you posted I have consider ordering them, but international shipping is heavily inflated. Keep us posted, thx

Yeah, international shipping for this drop is pretty insane. I'm lucky I didn't have to pay that much.

I'm not very good with impressions, but I'll try to scrape something up when these come in.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #4,896 of 5,248
Recently got my own cups done for these (D5000) since the original ones I bought them with were dynamat treated by a previous owner.
This is the first prototype, made from teak and completely unfinished so far - that's for later :b.

External layout is taken after the TH-600s since I wanted to maximise internal volume without going full cube shaped.

Would like to hear some of people's potential ideas for what I could try in a future revision.
Anyone's got some input?

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,899 of 5,248
Tyll finially does a comparison on the D2000/5000/7000 to the current line of Fostex models

A Survey of Foster 443742 Variants - Subjective Listening Tests - Denon AH-D5000; Massdrop Fostex TH-X00; E-Mu Teak; and Fostex TH610 and TH900mk2
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th#gF6DCp2VjBrjBMt1.99

Too bad he doesn't even like the Denon models and not-really on the Fostex models. It sounds like he tolerates them because they are popular on the headphone market.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,900 of 5,248
  ^^^ When you say alive, you think about lower treble spike that denons are known for ?

Its a pity that you dont have original denon pads for sake of comparison, but suppose these will be good to, all in all interested in your findings.

There you go, I have added the impressions with the ones I have ordered (cheap stock style shape)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-thread/4890#post_12870598

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #4,901 of 5,248
Hi all
Any nice earpads to replace the original D5000 pads?
A bit thicker would be nice + leather
Any suggestions?
I read about the Brainwavz Angled pads, has anyone used them? do they change the sound signature?

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #4,904 of 5,248
  Hi all
Any suggestions?
I read about the Brainwavz Angled pads, has anyone used them? do they change the sound signature?

I hope you will like the ZMF ones as Fearless1 posted, but check the first post on this page - personally I love massive pad style (Alpha Dogs pads) on my Alpha Dogs, but they do not fit the DXXXX (tonality - their SQ change) - bare in mind, the earpads can casue a huge impact on the sound quality.

But...you will see. Personally I love the stock style ear pads on my D2000s
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282107468567 .
SQ is the best (in my subjective opinion) and the thin profile is absolutely no issue with these headphones, they have so loose clamp and with this baby http://www.ebay.com/itm/371661224504 they are just as comfortable as they can.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #4,905 of 5,248
  Hi all
Any suggestions?

I have tried just about every aftermarket pad on my Denon's (owned all three models more than once) and prefer the Lawton angle pads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back