Denon D7000's Midrange and Treble
May 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys,

Straight to the point, can we get a consensus on how these cans do in the areas of midrange and treble reproduction? I've done my share of research here and there seems to be a lot of love for these cans but honestly, accolades and praises are not enough for a fair assessment and in fact, I seem to value criticisms more nowadays.

I come from the D7000's little brother, D2000 which has been modded with a variant of markl mod to achieve a sound which is somewhere between stock and fully modded, recabled with Kimber 4TC which helps to add some body to the midrange and hopefully soon woodied as well. I honestly love these cans very much but a little more midrange presence, less sibilance and a more intimate treble would be valuable. I had an opportunity to listen to an SAA-Equinox recabled HD600 recently and I suppose my ideal midrange would be something like that.

I'm thinking of the RS-1i at the moment so a comparison between the D7000 and that would be nice as well. I'm hesitating to upgrade to the D7000 for the simplest reason that the sound will not differ too much with my highly modded D2000 and that's bad.

So, fire away guys!

May 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1 will eat any of Denon offerings alive, at any contest.

So, does anyone have anything to say against that?
tongue.gif

May 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, does anyone have anything to say against that?
tongue.gif

Yes, I completely disagree with that.

May 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 73
I must add to my previous statement that i meant when it comes to music-listening purposes. Of course Denon do better in a contest of best jet take off sound reproduction
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must add to my previous statement that i meant when it comes to music-listening purposes. Of course Denon do better in a contest of best jet take off sound reproduction
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah whatever

May 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 73
Coming out of the Compass, the Denon D7000's have excellent midrange and tremble.
As for the RS-1, haven't tried it. Perhaps QQQ will lend me his so I can make a direct comparison?
I, unfortunately, can not give up my D7000's.
One would have to pry them out of my cold dead hands!

May 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 73
Id have to say that the Midrange and Treble on Grado's is rather good
smily_headphones1.gif
Quite the strong point with them, although i have only owned the RS-2's. Having previously owned the D1001 within the Denon lineup, they were not my cup of tea at all. Just going from there sound i doubt i will try any other Denon phone. I know i am being biased in a sense :p

For Midrange and Treble, Grado's are great for the energetic sound. Someday again i will have another pair
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 73
Grados = open back
Denons = closed back

The sound is completely different and incomparable. Coming from the D2000 you'll probably love the D7000, since it has what you are looking for (more midrange presence, less sibilance and a more intimate treble). Plus a tighter and better bass. The Grados would be a totally different beast from the Denons. I think it's pure nonsense to say that the RS1 will eat any of Denon offerings alive, at any contest. You might want to start with something smaller like the SR225 before moving to the RS1.

May 4, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 73
In a couple of days I will own a pair of 7000's and I already have a pair of 325i's. I will do a review in a day or so after I get them and then I like to get about 200 hrs in a headphone before I really critically get a answer. I will do another review then.

May 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 73
The D7000's offer rich, detailed highs and mids with a beautiful soundstage and exceptional clarity.

Ingrid Michaelson's 'Just The Way I Am' is a good example. On her vocals, you hear every inhale...every breath moving over her lips. And the tonal quality is very warm. Not one bit of sibilance. And when the second vocal starts to echo the first, it's distinct and separated, yet the harmonies merge with tremendous color.

You didn't ask about bass...but let me say it anyway: it's perfect. Fat and detailed, and so low you'd think it was a sub.

I have both the 2000's and 7000's and yes, the sound signature is the same...but the 7000's offer everything in more abundance, and with even more clarity.

The remarkable thing about the Denons is they also sound great...truly great...with any source I've used...amped or not. Plus the 7000's into an iPod straight...and they'll blow your miind.

May 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados = open back
Denons = closed back

The sound is completely different and incomparable. Coming from the D2000 you'll probably love the D7000, since it has what you are looking for (more midrange presence, less sibilance and a more intimate treble). Plus a tighter and better bass. The Grados would be a totally different beast from the Denons. I think it's pure nonsense to say that the RS1 will eat any of Denon offerings alive, at any contest. You might want to start with something smaller like the SR225 before moving to the RS1.

Agree 100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back