Denon Or Panasonic?
Mar 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mferreeer

New Head-Fier
Are they any good?
I mostly listen to Acoustic and Pop music
I've been thinking about buying the Denon AH-D1100 which is a bit over budget for me.
There's the Denon AH-D510 which is cheaper and in my price range
And also the Panasonic HTF600 they're bass heavy like the Denons but they're very cheap

For those that had/has the AH-D1100 are they worth it? Or should I just settle for the D510/HTF600?

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Try the website Bountii, it's a great place for finding the best price on stuff.
I've seen the Denon AH-D1100 go for $107.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 16
Have you considered shure's? (440/840)

The denons are on the bassy side. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 16
You might also want to consider the Creative Aurvana Live.  They use the same drivers that were in the Denon AH-D1001.  I very much prefer the CAL's over those Panasonics.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 16
I have considered them but it's a bit over my price range and haven't tried them out myself. Are they worth it?

Quote:
Have you considered shure's? (440/840)

The denons are on the bassy side. 

Quote:
You might also want to consider the Creative Aurvana Live.  They use the same drivers that were in the Denon AH-D1001.  I very much prefer the CAL's over those Panasonics.

I am thinking about them, do they have good mids?

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm not sure you can say that the CAL are "better" than the Koss DJ Pro 100, or vice versa. They are simply different, and may not appeal  in the same way.  There is no way we can predict which you would prefer.

Read some reviews, and user comments on both.  Here is Tyll Hertsens take on the CAL:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

The CAL have been dropping in price periodically on Amazon, down to $55 or so.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 16
I have both the CAL!'s and the Panasonic HTF600's. Panasonics win in comfort, soundstage, mids and fun factor. CAL's have more bass, detail, and better resolution but they are very uncomfortable, irritating my ears very quickly. The cord and headphone is small enough to be classified as portable, but with poor isolation and comfort I'd rather travel musicless. I have to fiddle with the CAL's every 2 minutes whereas I can wear the HTF600's for a very long time.

I mentioned the CAL's have more bass, but it bleeds into the midrange and thickens everything, leaving the vocals with no air, and subduing the treble. I wouldn't say they are unlistenable. If they were my only headphones I'd be able to live with them, but the bass just makes everything unexciting, and the claustrophic nature of the fit means my ears are relieved everytime I take them off. My ears are small so they just about fit inside it, but I can see these being on-ears for larger ears.

Overall I'd take the panasonics over the CAL's easily. They feel much more robust compared to the flimsy CAL's which feel like they could break at anytime, and at half the price they are a no brainer. if portability is an issue, get something else. For home use there is no competition.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 16
I think Drew at Moon still has AH D-1001's.  Better that the D-1100's IMO (although they do not do the folding trick) and perfect for your specified genres.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Thank you for all your inputs!
What about the Panasonic HTF600? I've heard good things about it or is it just a hype?

They're beasts at $30. Great bass, great sound stage, good mids, smooth treble. Easy going to listen to. Comfortable. Stupid inexpensive for a great laid back warm sound.

Very best,

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Buy a pair of Panasonic RP-HT227 for only $10-$15

Build quality is cheapo, but sound quality is not too bad... Especially if you want BASS HEAVY ON THE EXTREME CHEAP...

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 16
I don't see the htf-600 listed on amazon anymore. Just got my second pair end of last week. Are these available from other retailers for that $30 price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back