Desperately need help - new Shure SRH440
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BasketCase

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Shure 440s the other day. I've just returned from overseas - where I bought them from an authorised re-seller.

In case you aren't bothered to read the whole thing (I'm gonna explain what I think might be the problem?) - basically my new headphones sounded ok. I used them on a plane and since returning they sound different. This is my first pair of headphones so I dont' know all the jargon but basically they now sound like the music is playing really far away. It's quite tinny now as well, and I have to turn the volume up a heap more but it really doesn't sound as good (plus the right ear seems to be getting more sound). This is NOTHING like it sounded before. I've listened to some of the same songs I tried them with, and they just sound awful. 

--

So...they've probably only had around 20 - 30 hours of play time - mostly with music. I've only really listened to them for max. 5 or so hours out of those. They sounded pretty great - though not as great as the in store ones (which I put down to burn in, hence the lack of listening).

Today, I got on a flight back home. I didn't use them before the flight though. I recently bought one of those little airline adaptors. It's pretty crappy. On the way up I was using my apple earphones and I had to jiggle them a little to get the sound to come through both ears. Not bending the jack (I think), just adjusting where it sat inside the adaptor. So, I plugged my new headphones into it on the journey home. Had the same problem, but jiggled the jack so I got sound. To my knowledge, I was not bending the jack. If I was it was slight. I guess it felt like I was "leveling" the jack if that makes sense. Probably doesn't but anyway.

I got sick of doing this. I remembered I had a spare airline adaptor, so I tried that. I found I now had to turn the volume up heaps to watch this movie. Annoyed, I returned back to the other one. Don't remember what caused it but I started to think somethign was up. I plugged them into my ipod touch, and found the above - that my music sounded quiet and far away. I started to freak and tried my phone - same problem. 

I went back to the movie and it seemed to be ok again through the airline thing. I then tried to watch a movie on my ipod. Once again I had the volume right up, it sounded tinny and far away. I thought it might just be the plane noise that was irritating me and causing me to turn the volume up....but yeah.

I'm now home, and have plugged them into every device I own and it still sounds bad. 

--

So now I'm kinda panicking. Sending it in for the warranty is hard cause it has to ship off to Hong Kong or something. I'll probably end up doing it but to clarify...what has likely caused this? The cable looks fine, though obviously I can't be sure without ripping it to pieces. Is it likely to be the cable/jack or the headphones? Dud the airline thing mess it up (which doesn't seem likely...but the only thing I can think of)? I assume it's most likely to be the cable...?

Any tips/ideas would be very welcome. I was so keen to get home and properly get into them but now I'm just freaking out a bit! 

Thank you very much. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 4
sorry I commented on this but it must not have posted?

From your description of what you did I think the airplane jack and adapters are bad but I don't think you could of broken the headphones just by giggling them, they are made pretty well.

I would send it in under warrenty, why would you have to send them to hong kong? Where are you from?

Does the 440 have a removable cable? (only have the 840's) check if it is secured to the earcup right.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
sorry I commented on this but it must not have posted?

From your description of what you did I think the airplane jack and adapters are bad but I don't think you could of broken the headphones just by giggling them, they are made pretty well.

I would send it in under warrenty, why would you have to send them to hong kong? Where are you from?

Does the 440 have a removable cable? (only have the 840's) check if it is secured to the earcup right.

haha that's cool thank you :)

They are definitely under warranty and I sent an email to Shure about it...still waiting for a reply. I live in Australia and from their site and the little pamphlet that came with the headphones...the only service centre in the "Asia" region is Hong Kong.

They have a removable cable. I'm not sure if it's worth just getting another cable rather than sending them in. They are secured in right. I know at one point on the flight I wasn't paying attention and put the cable into the headphones wrong...but I corrected it straight away...so who knows. 

Thanks for the advice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back