Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now?
Oct 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mindflayz

Head-Fier
Hello, I had some buzzing/distortion from my left driver @ my Hifiman HE-400 so I opened them up to fix it but accually ended up totally destroying the left driver :frowning2:

Now I don't really know what to do, Hifiman doesn't answear my mail about how much it would cost to repair so I think I'll just get some new headphones.

Recently spent ~90 euro on a new cable for my HE-400 so I'm thinking about buying HE-500/HE-300 or HE-6 just to benefit from the cable (same cable that's now included with 400i/560)

I use: PC(usb) -> iFi iPOWER -> iFi Gemini cable -> iFi iDAC -> iFi iCAN

* Can this setup drive HE-6 nicely?

* Should I just ignore my cable purcase and get some other headphones?

* Anyone know a pair of headphones that would shine with my setup?

* Any idea what to do with my broken HE-400? Right driver works, left driver's membrane between the magnets is  
 very hurt.

(Budget ~1000 euro)
(I liked my HE-400 alot, but something different might be nice to try)

... Sorry for a bit confusing post, but I'm quite mad about destroying my headphones and also very confused about what step to take next ...

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Getting used HE-400s would probably be cheaper than shipping it out and getting it fixed (i happen to be selling mine btw :) - but with 1k EUR, i would personally either get a HD800 or an HE-560 and a decent amp, a Lyr 2 perhaps. 

Id try and stretch it further and buy used, but thats just me. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 6
could always get another then you know for sure what it is like, and bonus is you end up with some spare parts ( like extra pads etc) in case a driver tanks or for the next time  you open them up :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I have the 560 and bought the iCAN to power it up..loving the sound..but I think the sound sig is quite different on your HE-400..I hope you get to try them first if it will suit your taste..

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Accually Hifiman responded today with a VERY PLEASING answear.

Dear Gustaf, Thank you for contacting us. We could provide you a pay-needed maintenance service which costs $90. Please pay $90 to our PayPal account: head.direct.3@gmail.com and forward the payment receipt to me. Then I will arrange the replacement process to you. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Yu
Hifiman Customer Service Team

So I'm just gonna wait for my salery then send them in :)

Still one question remains, any headphones that REALLY SING with my setup? Because I might upgrade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back