Detailed Sennheiser HD580/600/650 Mod Tutorial
Oct 22, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
Alex has posted a very detailed tutorial for his Sennheiser HD580/600/650 mod. I just modded my very own HD580 according to his tutorial and it took me less than 5 minutes... WOW I heard the difference right away! Everything just sounds better.

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 53
Hey Slacker!

I already did this exact method long ago myself with Alex's advice. In fact my 580's have one of the last V2 cables [AK]Zip made!

And whats a thread like this without pics?

http://apuresound.com/head-fi/WT/580/

But this walkthrough is exactly what people should do if they want much better sounding 580's.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex has posted a very detailed tutorial for his Sennheiser HD580/600/650 mod. I just modded my very own HD580 according to his tutorial and it took me less than 5 minutes... WOW I heard the difference right away! Everything just sounds better.

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

I'm a big fan of Alex's cables, so no disrespect, but can you describe the improvements from this mod?

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 53
these are fully defoamed Senns. i tried removing the foam on my HD650s, only the larger piece, a ways back and didn't care for the sound - it was smeared and the highs were strident.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 53
ahh, the Senn mods.
I never thought the foam on the grill side can be removed. but anyway

Yes, I would say there is big difference of sound signature after this mod. For some people, they would describe it as the "veil" is gone.

but anyway, if you are married.. or if you don't care about the strange looks that cashier/people might give you when you went into a convenient store to buy stocking then this this:

first, get some stockings. (color does not matter, recommend dark color though, the small color difference does not matter since you are going to stretch the stocking as far as possible anyway.)

first, pull those ear pads away from the headphone

Second, cut a peace of stocking about the same size as the ear pads, put once corner of the stocking onto the earphone, press the ear pad back into the earphone by one corner.

Third, start pulling the stocking on the opposite direction of the opposite side of ear pad where you just pushed back into the headphone.
pull as far as you can, then push that corner of the ear pad into the headphone.

Fourth, do the same with the other two, opposite side of the ear pad.

Fifth. after you secure the stocking material (remember, STRETCH IT) pull the remaining stocking that is hanging on the outer side of the ear pads away from the headphone, then cut it next to the headphone.
the stretchy characteristic of the stocking will make the stockings shrink into the connection between the headphone and the ear pads while make sure the stockings stays in the same place.

then, there, your mod is done.

the main purpose of this mod is to keep the same sound signature of Alex's mod while preventing hair, dust, dandruff from touching/get onto the drivers

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan of Alex's cables, so no disrespect, but can you describe the improvements from this mod?

Detail, openess, clarity, transparency.. Detail & clarity really get a boost.. I'm using my 650's by the way.. But songs with heavy bass vibrates my ears now. I can actually feel the bass. Some might like that feeling. Not me. & seems out of control with music with heavy bass.. But moderate bass, the mod provides tighter & more controlled bass.. You can always switch back too..

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 53
so did anyone else try this mod?

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 53
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of the back end foam piece. I have removed the inner foams. Currently I'm still deliberating whether I like it with or without the inner foams. I'll give the rear foam removal a shot tonight.

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 53
2x... especially in balanced config. Plus I lined the inner plastic surface with blu-tak to control vibration and isolate the energy from drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail, openess, clarity, transparency.. Detail & clarity really get a boost.. I'm using my 650's by the way.. But songs with heavy bass vibrates my ears now. I can actually feel the bass. Some might like that feeling. Not me. & seems out of control with music with heavy bass.. But moderate bass, the mod provides tighter & more controlled bass.. You can always switch back too..

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 53
Thanks for this guide. I just did it and it definitely sounds livelier. Is it dangerous to leave the foam out without replacing any sort of cover for the drivers?

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 53
Did you remove both the inner and outer foam? Did you notice a difference between just having the inner removed and having the inner and outer removed? I'll give it a shot tonight, but I'd like some opinions in the meantime.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so did anyone else try this mod?

I did about a week ago and there is a noticeable improvement in the detail and soundstage. Very nice! I just got a Blue Dragon cable today and these HD580s are now my favorite can!
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 53
XD nice to hear that ... the sound difference this mod make is pretty big compare to the other mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back