Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #466 of 7,490
This is surprising to hear. I heard the Diana myself at RMAF, and I recall the soundstage to actually be as narrow as the Utopia when I first got it. I even asked the reps at the show and they acknowledged the soundstage to be small.

IMO, neither headphone has a narrow soundstage. Grado on-ears...that's a narrow soundstage.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #467 of 7,490
IMO, neither headphone has a narrow soundstage. Grado on-ears...that's a narrow soundstage.

Well, it takes quite a bit of money to expand the soundstage of the Utopia, but it does sound small and closed-in on the much cheaper/smaller rig I had then. I heard the Diana in comparison with the Phi and boy ... the soundstage of the Diana is small. Otherwise, the Phi and the Diana sound very similar.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #468 of 7,490
Well, it takes quite a bit of money to expand the soundstage of the Utopia, but it does sound small and closed-in on the much cheaper/smaller rig I had then. I heard the Diana in comparison with the Phi and boy ... the soundstage of the Diana is small. Otherwise, the Phi and the Diana sound very similar.

Yeah, if you were comparing the Diana to the Phi, it's not really a fair comparison. But for small, portable headphones, the Diana are among the biggest sounding I've heard. The Abyss Phi and HD800/800S have the widest sound stage there is. But unlike the HD800/S, the Phi bring the bass and offer what I consider the most "speaker-like" presentation I've heard yet. The Utopia do need a cable upgrade (the stock cable is really holding these back) to say the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference and a Chord DAVE to really get them going. The Phi sound fantastic out of the DAVE as well, but after several days, I think I prefer the Phi with the DAVE + added power of the GS-X Mk2.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #469 of 7,490

we've moved o/t but i gave the utopia a brief listen last week before placing a deposit on one. it was being driven by a wa6 and i wouldn't describe the presentation as small or closed-in sounding for a headphone. i've heard headphones with more expansive presentations such as the hd800/s, but soundstage isn't something that i look to headphones for. if i want soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers. call me sceptical but having heard the utopia on different rigs ranging from modestly priced to expensive, i question how throwing money at ancillary equipment will improve its 'soundstaging' capabilities.

back to the diana - is the headband adjustable?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #471 of 7,490
What is a soundstage? You must mean footprint.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #472 of 7,490
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #475 of 7,490
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #477 of 7,490
Yeah, I can only hold out so long, after paying for something expensive. Let's just hope it's on schedule for end of November. I suppose they could build a couple and send to already-paid customers but I'm sure that's not how it works.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #478 of 7,490
Yeah, do you have to pay the full amount when you order? I guess if it's delayed 2 weeks and you cancel, you'll still be just as curious about it though.

They probably announced it a bit early - over 2 years ago they mentioned this was coming out soon... I suppose it's better to get it right than to just get it out and either have a sub-par product, or revise it after it's release and piss-off the early adopters.

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #479 of 7,490
You pay the full amount when you order.

I've brought his up time and time again, but don't you think it's a good idea to perfect something, then bring it on? This is very much a recent (past 5 years) thing where you bring out the prototype and tour it for 6 months, getting opinions, then go back and redesign it to "proper spec". When the DT880, HD650, RS-1 and HD800 came out, it was the real deal ready to go. Now you get upstarts bringing in an idea to shows, getting feedback, finding out if their idea works or not, if it appeals to the masses. This is all very well and good, but don't do advertising on something that is not ready to go for another half-year. The demand for headphones is already built-in.

Two rules: 1) Never tease a dog. 2) Never tease a Head-Fi-er with a new flagship unless you can deliver the goods the same week :dt880smile:

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #480 of 7,490
I guess if it's delayed 2 weeks and you cancel, you'll still be just as curious about it though.
I'm also curious about other headphones (that are out) that I could spend the money on. But yeah...a valid point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back