Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 26, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #6,571 of 7,431
Historically at least from my listening ZMF in general has its own sound versus Abyss that has its own. ZMF leans warmer and tonally rich to me which sounds a lot better versus Abyss where to me while it has the detail it tends to be more neutral in the best sense, but tonality to me at least for the V2 and Phi it has always been "off" and if I were to go further really almost sterile. My preference has been ZMF because I prefer the listening experience as a whole versus the detail. The Caldera for ZMF is kind of the addition of a lot of the missing details and removal of some of that veil while still staying close the ZMF sound you'd be accustomed to.

That said with the MR people have consistently whether it be here or else where keep throwing around the term "warm" or "warmer leaning" than what the Diana line has typically been and better tonally which is why I asked for more information on it. I still keep seeing mixed bag answers and I think the confusion is when people come here and ask about it in comparison with ZMF I think the feeling is the expectation that somehow the MR sounds the same as some of ZMF's offerings. In my position that isn't the case I just want to know if the MR for tonality and musicality for a listening experience has improved from previous Abyss offerings to justify a look. I don't necessarily need or have to have a lush ZMF experience I just don't want to listen to something that to me in previous models was more focused on the detail above all else. People said the V2 was supposed to be that and to me it wasn't. Abyss' tuning or what they are tuning for has not been my cup of tea historically, but I can respect what they offer and people's preferences for them. I'd like to think or hope though the MR is an improvement to those areas it lacks. If not than question answered I'll move on.

EDIT: I think the main thing is if you think an Abyss headphone is going to sound anything like a ZMF it won't is the short answer. ZMF really digs into the richness and timbre of the sound typically a lot more than other headphones. Abyss is more of the details and information you're extracting historically.
As i have described sound in my review as neutral in my review. I don't think the headphone is "warm" I think Abyss on there website define it how it is and post a FR graph as well. ZMF Caldera I demo'd are definitely warm. Meaning if you want warm sound you can just get it with vegan pads

1698364416131.png

1698364482278.png

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #6,572 of 7,431
How would you describe the difference?

Diana has a more “studio monitor” sound so the tone is brighter (especially in the upper mid) and leaner. I think both the V2 and TC have forward upper mid. Transient and attack are also quicker and harder. In terms of details and resolution, Dianas also seem to dig deeper into the recordings. There is a rawness in a way that Diana portrays sound in the higher registers like cymbals and snare drums that’s incredibly addictive.

As far as weaknesses go, in overall timbre the Diana (both TC and V2) is not as balanced as the Caldera because there is a hollowness in the lower mid. Soundstage is also another weak point, it’s rather small (I think the weakest among Caldera and my own Utopia). Caldera’s soundstage is also so-so (Atrium sounds more holographic and cohesive) but it still projects bigger soundscape and imaging than the Diana.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #6,573 of 7,431
As i have described sound in my review as neutral in my review. I don't think the headphone is "warm" I think Abyss on there website define it how it is and post a FR graph as well. ZMF Caldera I demo'd are definitely warm. Meaning if you want warm sound you can just get it with vegan pads

1698364416131.png

1698364482278.png

In a way, actually I agree that Diana (in general) is not a harsh/sharp sounding headphone. Upper mid to low treble is quite liquid and smooth there, definitely no "nasty" peak. It's just the overall sound character, not a "beefy" sounding headphone like ZMF or old Audeze, but still fuller body than typical Hifiman headphones (HE1000/Arya).

Personally the bass ported earpad is a must for Diana Phi and Diana TC (add body and soundstage).

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #6,574 of 7,431
In a way, actually I agree that Diana (in general) is not a harsh/sharp sounding headphone. Upper mid to low treble is quite liquid and smooth there, definitely no "nasty" peak. It's just the overall sound character, not a "beefy" sounding headphone like ZMF or old Audeze, but still fuller body than typical Hifiman headphones (HE1000/Arya).

Personally the bass ported earpad is a must for Diana Phi and Diana TC (add body and soundstage).
I will have to somehow agree to this. I never owned a ZMF so can not comment on that. But I do have HE1K Stealth and Susvara. The MR definitely has more body. Less bright. More bass. Bass extension on the Sus is better though. But MR has more. This is using Ferrum Stack. With the Fireflies Gen 3 on the MR makes it more liquidy and warm. I am actually enjoying the MR very much. Much different than my Stealth, Clear MG, or Sus.

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #6,575 of 7,431
I will have to somehow agree to this. I never owned a ZMF so can not comment on that. But I do have HE1K Stealth and Susvara. The MR definitely has more body. Less bright. More bass. Bass extension on the Sus is better though. But MR has more. This is using Ferrum Stack. With the Fireflies Gen 3 on the MR makes it more liquidy and warm. I am actually enjoying the MR very much. Much different than my Stealth, Clear MG, or Sus.

This is actually good to hear especially being a WA7 owner. I'm not too familiar with how the Ferrum stack sounds so would you say it is a more neutral dac/amp combination or has more character to it? Also assuming it can drive the Susvara reasonably well could you maybe tell me how it sounds with that stack to your ear just as a point of reference? Sorry for all the requests.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #6,576 of 7,431
This is actually good to hear especially being a WA7 owner. I'm not too familiar with how the Ferrum stack sounds so would you say it is a more neutral dac/amp combination or has more character to it? Also assuming it can drive the Susvara reasonably well could you maybe tell me how it sounds with that stack to your ear just as a point of reference? Sorry for all the requests.
Sorry was not able to reply earlier. I would say to my ear that the Ferrum stack is natural sounding and neutral. When I was using my Pegaus Musician as the DAC before I purchased the WANDLA it was warmer. But the Ferrum has some tricks. You can adjust the voltage and play around with the built in upsampling filters to somehow change the sound. Not much but perceptible to me. Yes the Ferrum have more than enough to drive the Susvara. I have it on medium gain and the volume at 1 to maximum of 2. The Susvara is foe me a natural sounding headphone in itself so to my ear is a very good pair to the Ferrums. Very detailed and balanced. Highs are well controlled and lows very deep, crisp and good decay.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #6,577 of 7,431
I think Abyss is messing with me and my dyslexia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #6,578 of 7,431
Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 4, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #6,581 of 7,431
Can someone help give a comparison between Diana V2 and MR? I know V2 discontinued...but I still have it and wondering if it has value to keep once I get my MR?

Thank you!
I happen to have both v2 and Mr at hand. Using stock pads, and on my simple $100 objective o2 from almost 10 years ago, Mr is decidedly an upgrade from v2. I may do a review later, but initial impression is Mr has much bigger soundstage, much better layering, 3d imaging, details. Tonality wise it is slightly thicker, darker, and more lush. It doesn’t have the upper mids energy of v2 that sometimes makes piano or female vocal a little “shouty”. Together this makes mr a much more “sophisticated” listening experience because whole dimensions of data are added. Interestingly I found v2’s sub bass stronger than Mr. Not sure if this is a pad fitting thing. Also Mr is more comfortable and normally I don’t care that much but felt it’s worth mentioning since it does make enough of difference to my listening experience.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #6,582 of 7,431
Can someone help give a comparison between Diana V2 and MR? I know V2 discontinued...but I still have it and wondering if it has value to keep once I get my MR?

Thank you!
Hi Henry...did you get the MR yet and what finish did u get...carbon? jay

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,584 of 7,431
Ryan Ho talks about his experiences...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #6,585 of 7,431
I happen to have both v2 and Mr at hand. Using stock pads, and on my simple $100 objective o2 from almost 10 years ago, Mr is decidedly an upgrade from v2. I may do a review later, but initial impression is Mr has much bigger soundstage, much better layering, 3d imaging, details. Tonality wise it is slightly thicker, darker, and more lush. It doesn’t have the upper mids energy of v2 that sometimes makes piano or female vocal a little “shouty”. Together this makes mr a much more “sophisticated” listening experience because whole dimensions of data are added. Interestingly I found v2’s sub bass stronger than Mr. Not sure if this is a pad fitting thing. Also Mr is more comfortable and normally I don’t care that much but felt it’s worth mentioning since it does make enough of difference to my listening experience.
hello,

can you define "much better" in terms
of all the stuff you mentioned that it does better than the v2?

also is it equally a "much better" deal at 3k considering ppl purchased the v2 for 1800 at some point?
(basically will let ppl who paid 1.8k for their v2 an idea if they should "upgrade" and pay 3k for the MR over their v2)

thanks for the insights :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back