Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #7,306 of 7,356
MR is a good halfway house in the Abyss lineup, but you need to go up to TC to compete with Utopia, imo. The technicalities of MR are very good. TC are stunning.
for me the MR and particularly the DTC are head and shoulders better than the utopia and LCD-4 and I speak as one who owned both of them....

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #7,307 of 7,356
for me the MR and particularly the DTC are head and shoulders better than the utopia and LCD-4 and I speak as one who owned both of them....
I haven’t heard the TC but the MR is definitely not above the Utopia IMHO.

The MR excels at sub bass compared to Utopia, and matches at highs, but the mids are literally practically not even there in the MR, compared to Utopia which is just intense across the entire FR.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #7,308 of 7,356
20240418_163955.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #7,309 of 7,356
This is somewhere between the Utopia and the Final D8K I have - good treble and separation of the Utopia and nice thumpy bass of the D8K. I am driving it with the Bakoon HDA-5230 now and will try the Wandla + Oor + Hypsos stack after work later tonight, but this is much more demanding to drive than the two headphones mentioned above. Overall, happy with my purchase.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #7,313 of 7,356
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #7,317 of 7,356
What amp did you try utopia on, out of interest?

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #7,318 of 7,356
I also tested the utopia vs the dtc... The punch of the utopia is really fun but for me that's about it on the positive side. :D Sound wise this headphone simply didn't work for me. (Like most of the headphones with an angled membrane.) I am missing out on some frequencies in the treble with this type of headphones (similar issues with the expanse). But even if it would sound great to my ears - the build quality for such an expensive headphone is so bad... I was immediately afraid it snaps when picking it up with one hand.

@walterboss: Can you maybe say something regarding DTC <-> Caldera? (Or have you already somewhere?)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #7,319 of 7,356
I also tested the utopia...

@walterboss: Can you maybe say something regarding DTC <-> Caldera? (Or have you already somewhere?)
What amp did you try with utopia? It's very picky. Just interested.

DTC Vs Caldera...caldera does basically everything very well, but for me DTC is more resolving, better imaging, and more interesting tuning.
I actually used to EQ it but stopped.
Caldera is the most 'yep, that's a nicely detailed, warmly tuned planar'. Nothing really stands out for me. Whereas dtc's positives are higher than calderas.

That said, I'd recommend trying because people who love caldera really love it. For me after a week trial there wasn't a single track I heard something interesting or moving unlike anything before.

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #7,320 of 7,356
@walterboss I used an ifi iCan Pro Signature for the Utoptia.

Thanks for your impressions. The Caldera is currently also on the top of my "want to listen to" list. :) Know someone in another forum who sold his beloved DTC basically immediately after trying the caldera which keeps me wondering. ^^ Is treble amount / tuning of the two on a similar level?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back