Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #1,396 of 7,481
i also experienced that with the original diana, which is why i asked. i was hoping that the larger ear pads on the phi version would have redressed that issue. i still intend to give the diana V2 a try tho.

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,397 of 7,481
I AB'd the Diana vs D-PHI. Big improvement with the PHI, wasn't even close. The old Diana pads, for me, were terrible... really uncomfortable. I assume the V2s are better they use similar pads as the D-PHI. The magic is still in the sound the PHI drivers deliver. I dare say the extra cost is worth it. If you don't have the PHI, you will always question what you're missing (and it's not subtle). I feel that way about upgrading my beloved 1266 OGs, just don't have the cheddar. No question the 1266s are better sounding... more bass, insane sound stage, just cumbersome to wear. Not uncomfortable, just awkward unless sitting bolt upright at my desk. When I compare my D-PHI vs 1266 OG, it's really no contest sonically, 1266 all the way even with the old drivers. But Diana vs Diana, PHI matters. The better your amp, the more obvious this is.

-Steve

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,398 of 7,481
thanks for the comparison. i would audition the diana phi if my local dealer made one available, but i suspect that they will only have the diana V2 out on the floor.

i didn't have an issue with the diana's ear cups as such, it was the pressure that it exerted on both sides of my head just above the ear pads that bothered me more than anything else really.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #1,399 of 7,481
Would love to hear your comparison to Z1R :)

I am listening to Z1r powered by DMP-Z1 right now as I type this. I love Sony, but Diana v2 and Phi are miles ahead in performance in every way. Z1r is still a great headphone and fun when I’m in the mood for casual listening while I browse the web/forums. My daily driver is Diana Phi powered by DMP-Z1.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #1,400 of 7,481
Some long overdue initial thoughts on my Diana Phi:

Wow, just wow. The Diana Phi +AK Cube is 80%+ of my full vinyl rig with the TC. I wasn't expecting that. It's probably closer to 90%+ if I discount soundstage size. Tonality is exactly the same, neutral but energetic throughout. Transient resolve is as good as the CC and 90% of the TC. Overall, this portable sounds better than every non-Abyss 'phone I've had the pleasure of listening to. I'm listening to the Horace Parlan Blue Note Sessions on Mosaic CD right now as I type this, and it's like Stanley and Tommy Turrentine are standing (six inches tall) a foot-and-a-half from my head. It's eerie in the best sort of way.

A pic of my custom purple cans on my noggin:
6KUlmT1_d.jpg

Agreed. I was surprised by how well AK KANN CUBE drives Diana Phi and the sound quality was exceptional via the 2.5mm balanced output. If I didn’t have DMP-Z1, I would own KANN CUBE.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,403 of 7,481
I’ve spent about 10 minutes with the v2, and compared to the Phi I’d say there’s about a 5-10% difference. Those differences being that the Phi sounds a tad more spacious and has a leaner, yet somewhat tighter bass response. The differences are VERY subtle.

The Phi MIGHT also be a smidge smoother in the highs.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,404 of 7,481
Z1s are fun, but not "audiophile" as they accentuate bass and to some some degree treble... "V shaped". Headphones don't need to be audiophile (reproduce everything perfectly as recorded) in order to be fun. For example, I have a set of Kilpsch HP3s that are a ton of fun to listen to (lots of great bass) but in no way outperform the Abyss. Having said that, perfect reproduction, especially poorer recording, gets fatiguing .

As for Diana vs D PHI, in my experience the difference was quite significant, especially with a great amp (GSX MK2 or the like). The longer your listen, the more apparent it becomes. Both are great headphones and if stuck on a desert island with a good system and solar panels, would be happy to have either.... or the Z1s for that matter.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,405 of 7,481
Z1s are fun, but not "audiophile" as they accentuate bass and to some some degree treble... "V shaped". Headphones don't need to be audiophile (reproduce everything perfectly as recorded) in order to be fun. For example, I have a set of Kilpsch HP3s that are a ton of fun to listen to (lots of great bass) but in no way outperform the Abyss. Having said that, perfect reproduction, especially poorer recording, gets fatiguing .

As for Diana vs D PHI, in my experience the difference was quite significant, especially with a great amp (GSX MK2 or the like). The longer your listen, the more apparent it becomes. Both are great headphones and if stuck on a desert island with a good system and solar panels, would be happy to have either.... or the Z1s for that matter.

What were these significant differences?

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,406 of 7,481
I still have a lot of comparing to do, but initial impressions between the Z1R and the Diana v2 have produced some obvious differences.
In general the Z1R sounds bigger and bolder. It carries more weight and has a thicker lower mid-range, and I believe that this thick lower mid-range gives the Z1R its character. The Z1R is also definitely more laid-back in comparison to the Diana v2. Furthermore, I believe that the mid-range on the Z1R is more recessed and less in-your-face than the Diana v2 -- and actually the whole signature of the Z1R is less present than the Diana v2, more distant in a way. Lastly, of course, is that the Z1R is less open-sounding even though it doesn't sound like a closed headphone in my opinion. The Z1R has more of a cohesive type of sound signature as well.

I think that the Diana v2 wins on technicalities, speed, handling complex passages, instrument separation/placement, treble response, overall detail (although this is closer than most would think), openness, bass punch and overall immediacy in sounds (although this comes down to preference). Even though it sounds like the Diana would be more engaging I believe that both are closer than one would think, but I would say that the Z1R produces more toe-tapping while the Diana v2 has more of an eye opening experience.

I'm glad that I own these headphones. :)

EDIT: in terms of comfort I'd say that I prefer the Diana v2 by a smidge because it is more breathable and it feels lighter. However, I do find that there is a bit of pressure on the sides of my upper jaws even with the improved headband and pads. The Z1R has more of a snug, pillow-like fit because of it's plush leather pads and even weight distribution. The Diana v2 takes a bit of time getting used to, but after a song or two I find myself more engrossed in the music rather than thinking about the applied pressure

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,407 of 7,481
I just tried plugging in my LH Labs Geek Out 720 into my iPhone 6 and it stated that it is too powerful.... :frowning2:

Help, anyone? Or am I screwed?

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,408 of 7,481
dunno anything about that, sorry. i hope that it's nothing serious.

did you notice any differences in the fit and comfort of the v2 and the phi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back