Did I buy a pair of fake counterfeit Sennheiser HD800S headphones?
Apr 27, 2019 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sleepspent

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of HD800S from a seller off ebay for $1,480 and I'm skeptical that they are a legitimate authentic pair. I've seen numerous unboxing videos online so I was surprised when I first opened the box up. For starters, the headphones are placed in foam inserts rather than satin velvet material. Second, the imprinting on top of the head band is formatted differently from the ones I've seen online. And lastly, there is no Sennheiser branding on the 1/4" cables. The balanced cable that comes with it is also silver instead of black.
I have attached photos below. Please let me know if I have an authentic pair or not.

It sounds amazing btw, its just these other factors that have me concerned.

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 4
I bought my hd800s direct from an authorised sennheiser dealership in person.

The box inserts I have - foam.
The cables - 1/4" no branding and xlr cable is silver ( CH 800s )
The S/N I have is silver in printing

I don't think the headphone you received is a fake, but you set your mind at ease, best to check with Sennheiser to clear your doubt.

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 4
I bought my hd800s direct from an authorised sennheiser dealership in person.

The box inserts I have - foam.
The cables - 1/4" no branding and xlr cable is silver ( CH 800s )
The S/N I have is silver in printing

I don't think the headphone you received is a fake, but you set your mind at ease, best to check with Sennheiser to clear your doubt.

It's possible there are "grey" or "international" variants in existence

I ran into this issue when I got my Canon DSLR. What I bought was 100% legit but not for the US or European domestic Market. So there's little stuff thats... wrong about the packing and I have NO warranty outside of the retailer but it's certainly the authentic product

That may be the case here

Still congrats! Happy 2 hear your enjoying them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back