Did I do the right thing
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Looks like that's a pretty common price for them. As for the sound, I haven't heard any Pioneer speakers or headphones, but they're overall a pretty good company in audio gear. Pioneer is kinda expensive normally, so some might find them overpriced, others will love them.

Really, it comes down to your opinion. Do you feel you got your money's worth? I feel I overpaid for my Grados now that I've heard others. My Sonys feel like a better value, and now I want to try other circumaural open cans to hopefully fix the flaws I see in my Grados.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I was just wondering if I bought good headphones I just got some pioneer hdj-500s for 89 bucks was it a good buy???

Heya,

Can't find any info on them here at Head-fi, their listing is empty of reviews and only a single head-fi owner listed. Read a few quick reviews that I could find, since they're just not that many, and it looks like those who are reviewing them like them. Punchy bass, a little forward and bright on the mids/highs. Not a bassy headphone. I can't tell you if they're work the $90 you just paid. Had you come here first, you could have walked away with a Shure 840 though and likely bested this Pioneer in every aspect. But I'm just theorizing that, I have no proof since I've not heard the HDJ-500.

Tell us how you like them, do a review once you get them. If you can't return them, it's too late anyways, so try and enjoy them. If you can return them, consider researching more headphone options before buying something in the $100 range. It's all we talk about here (for example, there's an ebay deal for some DT770 Pro's for $90 free shipping, that is stupid good, probably already sold at due to that).

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 12
Heya,

Can't find any info on them here at Head-fi, their listing is empty of reviews and only a single head-fi owner listed. Read a few quick reviews that I could find, since they're just not that many, and it looks like those who are reviewing them like them. Punchy bass, a little forward and bright on the mids/highs. Not a bassy headphone. I can't tell you if they're work the $90 you just paid. Had you come here first, you could have walked away with a Shure 840 though and likely bested this Pioneer in every aspect. But I'm just theorizing that, I have no proof since I've not heard the HDJ-500.

Tell us how you like them, do a review once you get them. If you can't return them, it's too late anyways, so try and enjoy them. If you can return them, consider researching more headphone options before buying something in the $100 range. It's all we talk about here (for example, there's an ebay deal for some DT770 Pro's for $90 free shipping, that is stupid good, probably already sold at due to that).

Very best,

Not to criticize Shure or Beyer, but I get the feeling that if somebody came out with some new headphone, and put it in the price range of a good Shure, Beyer, AT, Senn, etc. people would ignore it regardless of how good it is just because they think that the deal they're getting on the well known gear is better than any other possibilities.

I'm just saying, maybe these things are actually great, people just refuse to jump on them.

Bad example, but the general consensus in professional reviews is that Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube was terrible, however many less publicized or completely unpublicized people, myself included, loved it. If you follow the general belief, you may never find that thing you absolutely love regardless of others' beliefs.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Not to criticize Shure or Beyer, but I get the feeling that if somebody came out with some new headphone, and put it in the price range of a good Shure, Beyer, AT, Senn, etc. people would ignore it regardless of how good it is just because they think that the deal they're getting on the well known gear is better than any other possibilities.

I'm just saying, maybe these things are actually great, people just refuse to jump on them.

Bad example, but the general consensus in professional reviews is that Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube was terrible, however many less publicized or completely unpublicized people, myself included, loved it. If you follow the general belief, you may never find that thing you absolutely love regardless of others' beliefs.

By the same coin, you may buy Beats, because they too are so well known and popular and greatly marketed and publicized.

Asking and getting more information is way better than just flipping a coin into the headphone market gamble and hoping you didn't just blow $100.

And I agree with what you're saying. It's why I have so many headphones. I love trying under-dog headphones and pitching them against main-stream highly regarded mid-tier setups. I can't even list all the weird little headphones I have in my sig due to cap. It's fun to find a $30 headphone that does what a $150 headphone does. No one will believe you on the internet anyways.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

Completely off topic but I loved Luigi's mansion!!

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 12
By the same coin, you may buy Beats, because they too are so well known and popular and greatly marketed and publicized.

Asking and getting more information is way better than just flipping a coin into the headphone market gamble and hoping you didn't just blow $100.

And I agree with what you're saying. It's why I have so many headphones. I love trying under-dog headphones and pitching them against main-stream highly regarded mid-tier setups. I can't even list all the weird little headphones I have in my sig due to cap. It's fun to find a $30 headphone that does what a $150 headphone does. No one will believe you on the internet anyways.

Very best,

It's good to hear you do try things. I just feel it's pretty common that people turn potential buyers (this one's already purchased, so I guess it doesn't matter) away from something they may love in favor of a popular set here (M50 and SRH840 in particular)

As long as the HDJ is not an overpriced hunk of junk and he gets something he's happy with, it's a good buy for him and a chance to find a new set of phones for other people to check out.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
It's good to hear you do try things. I just feel it's pretty common that people turn potential buyers (this one's already purchased, so I guess it doesn't matter) away from something they may love in favor of a popular set here (M50 and SRH840 in particular)

As long as the HDJ is not an overpriced hunk of junk and he gets something he's happy with, it's a good buy for him and a chance to find a new set of phones for other people to check out.

Ok,

Here's his review now that he has them.

$90.

I don't even have to say it, but you know what I'm thinking (amongst most of everyone else here).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back