Differences between models of grado headphones?
Dec 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

JennaFF

100+ Head-Fier
What are the electrical and internal differences between the Grado headphones? Is it all the same driver but a different housing/cabling and whatnot? Could I take the drivers from HF-1's and put them in SR60's and expect a difference?

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 25
Grado says its drivers are different but it all comes down to how you define the term. To Grado, the driver must include the subtle differences in how it's all wired up. The specs are identical up and down the product line and as many times as I have taken different models apart, I have yet to see a substantial difference. The Mylar, baskets, magnets and such are all the same. The weight is the same. The diameter is the same. The impedance is the same. What is different is the wire, the damping, the cloth on the front grill, the rear grill and the air chambers.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 25
interesting....  I don't have any Grado cans nor auditioned one.  It may be my new purchase.

I like to hear more.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 25
For some insight, read how Grado sorts their cartridges.  There are several models that are pretty much the same thing.  I would not be surprised to see the drivers sorted similarly.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 25
I think some of the higher models have a little dab of damping material on the back of the drivers.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 25
     Quote:
I think some of the higher models have a little dab of damping material on the back of the drivers.

Damping Material. YEP.

biggrin.gif

**EDITED**

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 25
If you google "grado rs-60 impressions", you can read some impressions of the SR-60 drivers in a RS1 housing from another forum.

Quote:
1. The treble is more extended on the stock RS-1. I can see where those who do not care for the Grado top end would choose the "RS-60".
2. The "RS-60" plays louder at the same amp volume setting, this took me by surprise and others found the same.
3. The RS-1 has a wider sound-stage, while the "RS-60" although the sound stage is a bit narrower it has more impact.
4. The RS-1 has an overall clearer, more detailed presentation.

Quote:
Between the RS1 and the RS60 there is a noticeable difference in the overall sound...the RS1 is obviously much brighter...however, the bass doesnt bloat. It hits deep and accurate. Where you can really tell is in almost any type of guitar music. You can just tell which is the better one =) it has such a great tone for that type of music its unreal.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 25
Do you have any specific information to suggest that the SR60s were:

1. Wooded throughout?
2. Vented with at least four holes in the driver back?
3. Damped with the same, or equivalent, damping on the magnet back?
4. Wired up with the same wire in the connecting cable?

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 25
So you can mod a RSxx to become a GS1000i and save some money along the way? 

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 25
Absolutely.  People do it all the time.  Change the driver's environment and you change the driver.  Vent it.  Damp it.  Wire it well.  Clothe it in wood.  Change the cushions.  The GS1000 is a beautiful product with a great sound.  Having it served up on a silver platter, with an adapter and an extension cord, is pretty sweet.  Even with the usual complaints about workmanship, Grado puts out a beautiful product.  But sound doesn't discriminate.  If you dress up an SR60 as it if were a GS1000, it may surprise you what an SR60, or SR80, or SR125, or RS1, can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back