Differences in detachable cable options mod
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

foniak

100+ Head-Fier
Im considering modding some beyerdynamics dt 770s 600ohm, to be used on motu m4 and I also have the magni 3. The mod is to remove the stock cable and add detachable outputs, options given are:

-Single 3.5mm (65,00€)
-Dual 3.5mm (100,00€)
-mini-XLR (85,00€)
-mini-XLR balanced (105,00€)

Anyone knows if there is any sonic difference at all? If not, why all the different options?
I mean, you could argue preference for this or that cable, but what about the single vs double?

I personally find annoying to have 2 cables going out of the headphones. Im just wondering what are the differences there given the different prices too.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 10
Im considering modding some beyerdynamics dt 770s, the mod is to remove the stock cable and add detachable outputs, options given are:

-Single 3.5mm (65,00€)
-Dual 3.5mm (100,00€)
-mini-XLR (85,00€)
-mini-XLR balanced (105,00€)

Anyone knows if there is any sonic difference at all? If not, why all the different options?
I mean, you could argue preference for this or that cable, but what about the single vs double?

I personally find annoying to have 2 cables going out of the headphones. Im just wondering what are the differences there given the different prices too.
The mini xlr will give you the best surface contact out of those connectors.

Better quality connector should give you better sound. The question is how much better and will you notice that difference.

If you're going to be at a fixed distance, you could just cable the headphones without connectors, that will allow a direct connection and eliminate an obstacle in the signal path but its not the most convenient thing.

The two cable input on the headphones vs one will allow you to run a balanced configuration vs single ended only for single input.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the DT770 250 ohm and going to balanced cables won't sound better unless you have an amplifier that puts out more power on that side and lets you stay in medium gain instead of high gain. Then you'd get lower distortion, but whether it's audible would depend on the amplifier. I have the Topping A30Pro, and when equalizing even that needs to use high gain mode to make up for the preamp reduction for some recordings (pre-volume war). I love Beyerdynamics, but I wish they would get with the times and ship with removable balanced cables, even Hifiman does it on their cheapest models. The conversion on Etsy is $100 plus shipping it to them, and so is a Magni Heresy, which is easier to recoup your money if you sell down the road. I tested headphones like the He6se and He5xx with a Topping A90 vs the A30Pro right next to it, with balanced and single ended cables. There's simply no difference in sound with things being equal (they're different amps, but I volume matched with an a decibel meter).

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 10
The mini xlr will give you the best surface contact out of those connectors.

Better quality connector should give you better sound. The question is how much better and will you notice that difference.

If you're going to be at a fixed distance, you could just cable the headphones without connectors, that will allow a direct connection and eliminate an obstacle in the signal path but its not the most convenient thing.

The two cable input on the headphones vs one will allow you to run a balanced configuration vs single ended only for single input.
Mini XLR only has one cable going out of this headphone and only one out, miniXLR delivers stereo signal? see:
https://hartaudiocables.com/products/hc-8-4-pin-mini-xlr-female-balanced-headphone-cable

Im going to use motu m4 and may or not use the magni 3 so these are not compatible with this type of cable I think, I would need a cable that splits into either 2 3.5mm trs if I plug on the m4 or into 2 RCA if I use the magni 3.

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Can someone explain the difference between the cable going out of 2 cups vs only one cup? I was told that the only difference is that it is less annoying when changing a headband, but how often you change the headband? not often, vs having 2 cables going out of your headphones vs 1. Who thinks it's more comfortable having 2 cables going out of phones vs 1? I don't see it.

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Can someone explain the difference between the cable going out of 2 cups vs only one cup? I was told that the only difference is that it is less annoying when changing a headband, but how often you change the headband? not often, vs having 2 cables going out of your headphones vs 1. Who thinks it's more comfortable having 2 cables going out of phones vs 1? I don't see it.

If you have single entry (one side) then you need a crossover wire. If you have dual entry, you eliminate that annoyance.

I prefer dual-entry setups, I think most decent headphones are done that way. Of course there is a splitter than joins the cables at some point away from the earcups.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 10
If you have single entry (one side) then you need a crossover wire. If you have dual entry, you eliminate that annoyance.

I prefer dual-entry setups, I think most decent headphones are done that way. Of course there is a splitter than joins the cables at some point away from the earcups.
But having 2 cables going out of your headphones is a bigger annoyance within itself so I dont see the benefit.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 10
But having 2 cables going out of your headphones is a bigger annoyance within itself so I dont see the benefit.
That's nonsense on many levels. And so I think you will find it difficult to find a good pair of headphones that doesn't annoy you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back