Dioko vs HE400SE, Timeless vs Sundara - Planar IEM vs full-size over-ears - which wins for technical performance (detail retrieval) at a similar price?
Jul 22, 2023 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MakeshiftApe

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I only have the one pair of IEMs ($15 Tanchjim Zero) and so I don't really know what to expect when it comes to say $100 IEMs vs $100 over-ears, or $200 IEMs vs $200 over-ears, particularly when it comes to planars.

Don't really care about tuning - if it's not to my taste I'll just EQ. My priority is detail retrieval. How do similarly priced planar IEMs and over-ears compare in that respect?

I'm especially curious about the 7Hz Dioko (IEM), 7Hz Timeless (IEM), Hifiman HE400SE, and Hifiman Sundara, because these are all options I've been considering grabbing myself.

How do those rank from most to least detailed - for anyone that's tried more than one of them or knows?

I was originally going to go the IEM route, and leaning towards the Dioko because where I live it's about half the price of the Timeless, and I've heard that it's just as technical/detailed as the Timeless, just maybe not as great frequency response (but that can be fixed with EQ).. but then I realised that the HE400SE is literally like $20+ cheaper than the Dioko where I live, and that the Sundara is only a little more than the Timeless if I buy a returned one, so now I'm torn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back