Disappointed with the ATH-M50's
Dec 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

retskrad

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of ATH-M50's and I was only using a pair of AKG 518 headphones. I don't know if my expectations were too high or they are overrated? The only thing that comes out from songs is the overpowering treble, overshadowed mids and very very weak bass. I can't even hear bass at 20hz. This song has very powerful low bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY and I can barely hear it on my M50's.

The sound doesn't feel alive, the vocals feel very strange. Too much highs i guess. Or am I too used to crappy headphones as the AKG 518 and I don't know what good sound like?

Also I'm not using an amp. I'm using my iphone 4s together with 320 kbs mp'3 together with Google Play Music on my iphone.

Am I crazy for not going with the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms instead? I haven't tried them either. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 3
  I purchased a pair of ATH-M50's and I was only using a pair of AKG 518 headphones. I don't know if my expectations were too high or they are overrated? The only thing that comes out from songs is the overpowering treble, overshadowed mids and very very weak bass. I can't even hear bass at 20hz. This song has very powerful low bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY and I can barely hear it on my M50's.

The sound doesn't feel alive, the vocals feel very strange. Too much highs i guess. Or am I too used to crappy headphones as the AKG 518 and I don't know what good sound like?

Also I'm not using an amp. I'm using my iphone 4s together with 320 kbs mp'3 together with Google Play Music on my iphone.

Am I crazy for not going with the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms instead? I haven't tried them either. 

I think your expectations are much much too high for a $100 headphone. You'll have to move up in price range to even get near what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back