Disassembly/How 2 on Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm (WITH PHOTOS!)
Jan 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ArcticPhones

New Head-Fier
I currently need the drivers from a pair of DT770s for a project of mine and so I figured that so long as I was
disassembling them I’d post photos and simple how to instructions for anyone else who may be interested.

(This pair was already broken, so I’m not just destroying a good pair of headphones
tongue.gif
)

After removing the side holding arms via unscrewing a center attachment screw on
each prong and after removing the ear seals, start by removing the outer retaining
ring via a tab circled in red.

This reveals an inner disc with which the speaker is attached to. To remove it take a flat head
screwdriver and pry the disc towards you again via the tab circled in red.

Here is an image of the untouched internal structure to get a feeling for what Beyerdynamic is talking
about for their “bass reflex technology". As the speaker moves back the sound travels back around
and then out through the lattice structure in the front of the headphones. This could be seen as acting
similar to how a port would work on a subwoofer.

To remove the driver itself, first pull away what I will describe as the reflex ring, then cut away at the three
points of glue circled in red. The driver is also glued around its circumference so care must be taken when
removing the driver, peeling it up from one end making sure not to damage or touch the diaphragm.

And that’s it
smile_phones.gif

Here I have laid out all the various internal components of the headphones.

Also interesting is the ripple pattern on the driver itself which can be seen in this close-up photo.

- The Driver is 45mm in diameter and ~ 13mm in thickness, while the diaphragm itself is within tolerance of the specified 40mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back