Discrete Headphone Amp and DAC for AKG K702 and maybe Beyer DT880 600Ohm
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

technica18

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading the forums trying to come up with a good amp and DAC combo that I can use with the K702 for under $600.  I also want to add a DT880 600Ohm to my headphone stable and it would be great if the amp will be good for both. Can anyone make any suggestions for a good US or European made solid state amp and a quality DAC in this price range? I guess I'll take suggestions for tube amps as well but I'm a little apprehensive about taking care of the tubes since I have no experience using them. BTW the source will be a Squeezebox Duet if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 7
DAC = HRT Music Streamer II = $150
Amp = Heed CanAmp = $450

You won't do better for the 701/2 under $600 than this combo.  The Heed also has enough juice to drive 600 ohm Beyers.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm having a hard time finding the Heed Canamp in the US, any other amp suggestions.  I also forgot to mention that the Squeezebox doesn't have USB out so that DAC wouldn't work.  It has optical and coax digital outs. I noticed you put much of the $600 towards the amp so would I be right in assuming that the amp makes a bigger impact on sound quality compared to the DAC?

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Email Dan at Blackbird Audio about a Heed CanAmp.  He's the authorized dealer for much of the US.  Tell him you're a member of Head-Fi, and he'll give you a little discount.

It's a personal opinion and big debate on what percent of your budget goes towards an amp and DAC.  I picked the combo I did mainly because the CanAmp is the one of the most highly thought of amps for the 701/2 headphones.  Also, the HRT does perform leagues above its price point.  At $150, it performs just as good as $300 DACs.  But, since you need optical or coax, it's all a moot point now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm having a hard time finding the Heed Canamp in the US, any other amp suggestions.  I also forgot to mention that the Squeezebox doesn't have USB out so that DAC wouldn't work.  It has optical and coax digital outs. I noticed you put much of the $600 towards the amp so would I be right in assuming that the amp makes a bigger impact on sound quality compared to the DAC?

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 7
In the title you mention "discrete" while in the OP you say "solid state" with the reasoning that you don't want to mess with vacuum tubes.  Are you willing to consider non-discrete solid state designs?  I mean, I don't understand why there's much distinction there made, but some people have some kind of philosophical misgivings about op amps and other ICs, for whatever reason.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry for the confusion but I was referring to a discrete DAC and amp as opposed to a DAC/amp combo unit.  I was looking at the Schiit Asgard but I read they don't go too well with the K702.  There's also the Schiit Lyr but I don't know if it's overkill for these headphones or not.  How would the Lyr compare with the Canamp besides the addition of the tubes which still has me worried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back