Dissappointed Sennheiser MOMENTUM Owner Looking for Recommendations
Aug 17, 2014 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Shelvo

New Head-Fier
Browsing around this forum, I've heard lots and lots of great things about the Sennheiser MOMENTUM. When my old headphones (A pair of Gemini HSR-1000 studio reference 'phones), which I loved dearly, developed a major rattling and significant lack of bass in the left ear, I was very, very sad. However, my mind had been on upgrading for a little while anyway, so I decided to just go for the upgrade early and buy a pair of Momentums. This was contrary to my original plan (use the Geminis as my portable pair of isolating headphones and get a pair of Philips Fidelio X1s for home use), but I needed a new pair of headphones I could bring along with me and listen with reasonable isolation, so I got the Momentums.

Even after about 80 hours of burn-in, they're disappointing me.

I've had them for about a week now, and they have improved significantly with more use, but after leaving them running 24/7 to try to exercise them and still being disappointed with how they sound, I'm starting to lose hope.

Before continuing, I should say that I mostly listen to cinematic music: E.S. Posthumus, orchestral film and game scores (LotR, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc.); a nice rock-ish group called Globus, the occasional electronic or metal song (Ronald Jenkees, Blind Guardian), and so on.

What's getting me most right now is accuracy of timbre. My old headphones, I feel, were very good at accurately reproducing the timbre of an instrument. They could also produce a very ensemble-like sound. If I had to ding them in one area, it would be separation of sounds. Notes in runs by strings instruments especially suffered from bleeding together somewhat, creating a kind of glissando effect. The Momentum does a better job of separation, but timbre is not quite there. I think that since the sound is more colored (a "V" shape as some have described it, with quite a focus on treble), ensembles lose the "pyramid" sound that anybody who has played in even a somewhat-advanced band knows what I'm talking about. Speaking to timbre, strings sound like one of their distant ancestors was an electronic synth, flutes sound far too wide (this could be an artifact of the Momentum's very relaxed sound), as do trumpets (wide-sounding brass is good, but not for trumpets). A prime example of what I'm talking about can be heard in the track "Leaving Hogwarts" from the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone soundtrack, especially on the ending chord.

Secondly is sub-bass presence. Now don't get me wrong: the Momentums have excellent sub-bass. They've revealed sub-bass in places I didn't know contained those lower frequencies. However, the Momentums' sub-bass lacks a feeling of... atmosphere. A good example of this is in the track "Skyrim Atmospheres" from the Skyrim soundtrack. My old Gemini headphones gave the first half minute or so an very nice, enveloping, well - atmospheric feel. With the Momentums, however, the sub-bass just kind of feels like it's there without any particular purpose. Certainly the track would be worse off without it, but I no longer feel like it's part of what makes the track exceptional like I used to. My guess would be that this has to do with the Momentums being on-ear rather than over-ear. I didn't realize that there was both an over-ear and on-ear version of the Momentum.

Comfort is also a slight issue. My ears feel like they're being pinched up against my skull after more than an hour of use despite bending the headband to be less clamping. This is a moot point, however, as I realize this would take a long time to significantly improve through use.

So basically, I'm coming to some of the more experienced head-fiers looking for some advice. Do I stick it out and wait for the Mometums to improve, despite already not liking the colored signature and losing the opportunity to return them for my money back, or get a new pair of headphones? By this point I'm thinking get a new pair of headphones. My experience has been that the Momentums can make anything sound good, but can't make much of what I like to listen to sound exceptional.

So, judging by my experiences with the Geminis and Momentums, as well as my needs, here is what I would be looking for in a new pair of headphones:

-a mostly flat sound signature
-headphones which can produce an atmospheric/ensemble sound
-accurate timbre
-enough separation to keep moving parts clean and reveal details, but still sound mostly smooth
-at least marginal isolation
-some degree of portability (space isn't a terrible issue, I can deal with carrying around a larger set of cans)
-price range of $100 to $300
-easily driven (a laptop and 1st gen iPod nano are my main source components, though I'm planning an upgrade to a Sansa Clip+)

Right now, I have my eye on the Shure SRH840 monitors, or possibly attempting to find a used pair of HD 580s or HD 600s. What other suggestions do you guys have? Thanks so much for your feedback (and for reading my long post), I really appreciate your time!
:)

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 24
The 580 and 600 are 300ohm cans--you will need an amp.  Also the 840 is marginal out of many portable devices without an amp.

Take a look at the PSB M4U 1.  It's just a bit warmer than neutral.

As for comfort, it's a very individual thing.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 24
You should get the sansa clip first since it's only like $30 and hope that improves something. Then you could also try EQing it a little.

Since you were disappointed since you first got it, and still disappointed now, it probably won't make a huge difference. It's always a shame when you have to sell a headphone :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 24
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-Headphones/dp/B009F8WRXG/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 24
Yeah there is a HUGE difference between the Momentums and the Momentum On Ear(or MOE as well call it). I thought the Momentums had very accurate timbre and neutral-ish sound with a slight emphasis on bass and lower mids making it a warm sounding can but still very good. The On Ear version is completely different and has super boosted bass and super boosted treble, the mids are non existent and this is where you'll get accurate music reproduction. And the atmospheric effect you speak of probably has to do with Soundstage, the MOE have a very good soundstage for being an on ear but pales in comparison to closed over ears and is anemic compared to open headphones. Also, the Gemini headphones you had are also the exact same as the Takstar Pro 80 which are much much better than the MOE, so in essence you downgraded. Burn in will not help, they are what they are, a bassy v shaped portable for popular thumpy Top 40 hits. In that respect they do very well. For your uses, return them. The momentum over ear version are much MUCH better and are the ones that people praise on this forum.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks so much for the quick responses, everybody! I appreciate that you took the time to read my post, I know it's long :p
While the Yamaha may not be the best choice for me since it's not very isolating, those PSBs are looking very tempting right now... especially when people are singing the praises of its soundstage. That can certainly be called an achievement for closed headphones. However, they're just a tiny bit on the expensive side for me right now (possibly because my boss is out of town and I haven't been paid my most recent paycheck, but hey... until I get the money, I'm not emptying my bank account carelessly). Does anybody else have any other suggestions?

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 24
The NAD Viso hp50 is an interesting headphone to mention, especially comparing it tho the PSB M4U 1. They were designed by the same person and seem to have largely the same sound signature and qualities about them. I think my next headphone might be one of those two. The PSB seems to be more readily portable, but might have durability issues and is, from what I gather, pretty heavy. The NAD phones seem less readily portable, however, due to their goofy (and goofy-looking) headband. As far as the Soundmagic headphones, they seem to also be a good choice, but they are much less celebrated and the reviews less glowing. Certainly that's not a bad thing, but people just seem so happy with the PSB/NAD 'phones that it's really swaying me towards them (people are saying that they greatly prefer them even over the over-ear Momentum).

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 24
Since I'm also interested in the NAD Viso, I've read up on them and there are also a lot of very dissatisfied buyers. Whereas the HP150 is a newer release and the owners are absolutely gushing about them in their respective thread. I'm not arguing with you at all though, as I'm personally leaning towards the NADs myself, however Soundmagic is a huge bang for the buck company, and a $200 full size headphone from them is likely comparable to $400 cans from big name companies, in that regard I would think the HP150 are going to be a better value. However, I am a sucker for tech and that roomfield gimmick on the Nads is tempting simply because I used to be a speaker guy and have to resort to headphones at work, so closed with big soundstage is a huge plus. But apparently the HP150 soundstage is even better. Comfort appears to be an issue on both, sadly.

The PSB M4UI was the first iteration, but build quality does seem meh and I would think the NAD (being newer) is a more refined effort from Paul Barton. I haven't heard either of these three headphones but am curious as you are.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 24
Try AKG K550 or K545 (latter has a smaller ear cup, removable cable, smaller soundstage and sound sig shifted to the left; slightly bassier) or the HD 598.

HD598 are open cans so you might not have them as your first choice since you want portables though.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 24
Since I'm also interested in the NAD Viso, I've read up on them and there are also a lot of very dissatisfied buyers. Whereas the HP150 is a newer release and the owners are absolutely gushing about them in their respective thread. I'm not arguing with you at all though, as I'm personally leaning towards the NADs myself, however Soundmagic is a huge bang for the buck company, and a $200 full size headphone from them is likely comparable to $400 cans from big name companies, in that regard I would think the HP150 are going to be a better value. However, I am a sucker for tech and that roomfield gimmick on the Nads is tempting simply because I used to be a speaker guy and have to resort to headphones at work, so closed with big soundstage is a huge plus. But apparently the HP150 soundstage is even better. Comfort appears to be an issue on both, sadly.

The PSB M4UI was the first iteration, but build quality does seem meh and I would think the NAD (being newer) is a more refined effort from Paul Barton. I haven't heard either of these three headphones but am curious as you are.

The "Roomfeel" is just their term for their frequency response, it does not make their soundstage large or imaging anything special.  In fact the HP100 has a larger soundstage than the HP50.  I don't know where you hear about comfort issues with the Soundmagic, since it does not clamp much and is very well padded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back