DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #15,241 of 16,305
00A68A88-62F1-4AF7-8AA4-4B6E6A12D3AF.jpeg
Hey, my first attempt at using paracord. Using some super cheap 26awg wire and Sennheiser plugs I got from eBay and adapted to use in my Fostex TH900.

I used a dremel and a sanding drum thing to shave off enough of the connector to get it to fit.

The splitter was a cheapie from eBay. Had to dremel that too, wasn’t the neatest of jobs but it works and looks good until you’re right up close.

Braiding was ok but still a bit inconsistent, may get one of those braiding discs.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #15,242 of 16,305
Very nice and Dremel tools can certainly come in handy. That series Fostex is something I hope to own one day.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #15,243 of 16,305
Hey, my first attempt at using paracord. Using some super cheap 26awg wire and Sennheiser plugs I got from eBay and adapted to use in my Fostex TH900.

I used a dremel and a sanding drum thing to shave off enough of the connector to get it to fit.

The splitter was a cheapie from eBay. Had to dremel that too, wasn’t the neatest of jobs but it works and looks good until you’re right up close.

Braiding was ok but still a bit inconsistent, may get one of those braiding discs.

It looks great! I hadn't thought to use the dremel to sand down the connector the Th900. I just used a knife, and that did not turn out professional. I will try the dremel.

The braiding looks great.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #15,245 of 16,305
IMG_2179.JPG Here is my take on aesthetics, I try to make cables match up to particular amps. This is a Canare RCA connector (sans strain relief) with silver plated coaxial cable, all copper in said cable is ofc, control knobs off of Fender guitars.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #15,246 of 16,305
It looks great! I hadn't thought to use the dremel to sand down the connector the Th900. I just used a knife, and that did not turn out professional. I will try the dremel.

The braiding looks great.

Thanks!

The dremel works a charm, but just be careful, it’s a bit like the proverbial knife vs butter!

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #15,247 of 16,305
Not everyone has the ability to think through problems and find a solution so it is always great to see that in others. To me it is an important part of being a DIYer. When I hire people I am fortunate if one in ten has that ability.IMG_1942.JPG Here is another example of my trying to match cables up with a particular look on another amp I built.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #15,248 of 16,305
Thanks!

The dremel works a charm, but just be careful, it’s a bit like the proverbial knife vs butter!
You know, that that I recall, I tried a dremel on some cheap tips and failed miserably. I gave up with the dremel and went with he knife. Any advice on the dremel? What speed? What tip?

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #15,249 of 16,305
Not everyone has the ability to think through problems and find a solution so it is always great to see that in others. To me it is an important part of being a DIYer. When I hire people I am fortunate if one in ten has that ability. Here is another example of my trying to match cables up with a particular look on another amp I built.

Nice! It must be very satisfying to put something like that together. I am considering a DIY amp next, but at a much lower level than yours. Probably a CMOY amp.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #15,250 of 16,305
Tom's Bottlehead Crack amps inspired me to build one. They sound incredible as well.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #15,251 of 16,305
Sep 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #15,252 of 16,305
I do have two sets of copper plates laying around and just hired a lady whose husband owns a CNC machine. If you want to go dual Alps pot and VU meters I will help you out.

I only use Dremel brand tools, use a low speed for plastics, I may try to take a photo of some cutting bits I prefer later on if I get a chance.

OOPs I was typing as you were Mike. The first response was for Frank.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #15,254 of 16,305
IMG_1679.JPG Trust me you do not want these copper plates anyway lol. They are designed to have an amp built around them and it is a lot of work. They will not fit a standard Bottlehead Crack, you have to start with a larger cabinet design. This is off topic so getting back to diy cables, I always found it so much easier to use two colors in a four or eight wire braid just so it was easier to see errors and as a way to keep the braiding consistent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back