DIY Earbuds
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #4,216 of 4,726
I measured the resistance of the driver diaphragm and it is not conductive with my multimeter, a resistance greater than 100M ohm. A carbon pencil lead was conductive. The diaphragm is more stiff than the 150 ohm blue glue driver. For the sound, all i can tell is that it clearly need burning, the first hours were harsh, bass were lacking.
You do realize how thin the graphene layer that we are talking about is, right? We are talking about extremely low mass here in comparison to ultra dense and quite heavy graphite in a pencil... the mass difference between the two is beyond disproportionate in this case. I wouldn't expect to measure any level of conductive-ness of graphene to be that near to pencil lead with a simple civilian-grade multimeter. I suspect it would take an ultra-sensitive and ultra-expensive laboratory grade instrument to detect such difference in conductivity... maybe I am way off in my thinking and experience. Also, graphene of this grade and application is not terribly expensive in comparison to other widely used diaphragm materials such as beryllium or titanium... even some ceramics and newer bio materials are costlier than graphene but still are heavily used without hesitation and at quite reasonable manufacturing costs. So I be really surprised that they be lying about it being a graphene diaphragm but I do accept there is always that small possibility that they are. LOL!

To others: What say you? I think it could be quite an interesting topic for discussion as many new materials and grades are appearing.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,217 of 4,726
You do realize how thin the graphene layer that we are talking about is, right? We are talking about extremely low mass here in comparison to ultra dense and quite heavy graphite in a pencil... the mass difference between the two is beyond disproportionate in this case. I wouldn't expect to measure any level of conductive-ness of graphene to be that near to pencil lead with a simple civilian-grade multimeter. I suspect it would take an ultra-sensitive and ultra-expensive laboratory grade instrument to detect such difference in conductivity... maybe I am way off in my thinking and experience. Also, graphene of this grade and application is not terribly expensive in comparison to other widely used diaphragm materials such as beryllium or titanium... even some ceramics and newer bio materials are costlier than graphene but still are heavily used without hesitation and at quite reasonable manufacturing costs. So I be really surprised that they be lying about it being a graphene diaphragm but I do accept there is always that small possibility that they are. LOL!

To others: What say you? I think it could be quite an interesting topic for discussion as many new materials and grades are appearing.
In the product description it is not written "graphene layer" but "made of copper coil graphene diaphragm material" or just "Graphene Diaphragm" in the title. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002614331536.html
What would be the point to add a one-atom-graphene-layer for bulk mechanical properties ? And apparently sheets of graphene of micron and mm range do exist.

With my multimeter i can measure the resistance of a carbon pen trace on paper, more than enough for our speaker diaphragm.

False advertisings on chifi products are common.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #4,218 of 4,726
Have anyone tried these? It is 150 ohm, probably shoonth use these with their pricier buds and change the driver cover? Im curious, if only they have that dp100 driver cover model

15.4mm Speaker unit 150ohms mx500 cover send shell 2pcs(1pair)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mszcuMA

Screenshot_20220405-001102~2.png

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,219 of 4,726
Have anyone tried these? It is 150 ohm, probably shoonth use these with their pricier buds and change the driver cover? Im curious, if only they have that dp100 driver cover model

I bought them last week, they should be really good since they are Shoonth-like drivers, Titanium and 150ohm! :beerchug:
The price is very high (the usual 2x Chitty tax), i hope they are worth the high asking price, i need something good after the huge disappointment that were the 14.8mm 120Berys.

It's definitely not the driver they use in more expensive Shoonths since it's the same 2$ driver you find in the cheaper version with a resistor.

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #4,220 of 4,726
I bought them last week, they should be really good since they are Shoonth-like drivers, Titanium and 150ohm! :beerchug:
The price is very high (the usual 2x Chitty tax), i hope they are worth the high asking price, i need something good after the huge disappointment that were the 14.8mm 120Berys.

It's definitely not the driver they use in more expensive Shoonths since it's the same 2$ driver you find in the cheaper version with a resistor.
Screenshot_20220405-012711~2.png

These look similiar, some local store sell these for around $2.6 a pair, but the seller didnt mention any driver specs, no impedance no freq graph no nothing, and the review said they are kinda bright/neutral. And I noticed one difference, the pink dot is on the pcb, and the one from chitty is on outer side.

These shoonth driver models remind me of 2 blox diy driver sold by local blox importer, and it comes with a modified mx500 housing
images (15).jpeg

Imma wait for your updates when its arrive :beerchug:

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #4,221 of 4,726
Screenshot_20220405-012711~2.png

These look similiar, some local store sell these for around $2.6 a pair, but the seller didnt mention any driver specs, no impedance no freq graph no nothing, and the review said they are kinda bright/neutral. And I noticed one difference, the pink dot is on the pcb, and the one from chitty is on outer side.

These shoonth driver models remind me of 2 blox diy driver sold by local blox importer, and it comes with a modified mx500 housing
images (15).jpeg

Imma wait for your updates when its arrive :beerchug:

There are countless Shoonth-like drivers (Foster drivers?), this is the 32ohm version with DP100 covers, the placement of the dot is very inconsistent.

1649100313845.png

I will share my opinion as soon as i get them. :L3000:

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #4,222 of 4,726

Try the 14.8mm 32Ω Ti drivers.

Better than the 40Ω, Unless you want a warm sig with treble that rolls off.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #4,223 of 4,726
I already have the 14.8mm 32ohm Ti, they are very addicting but they are also fatiguing treble cannons. I was hoping that the 120Berys could be a more balanced alternative with 15.4mm 130Bery level of SQ but they are just a muddy mess, flat and with a very weird unpleasant tonality.
I'll try to swap shells and faceplates eventually since the bundled ones aren't very good and no tuning tricks were able to fix any of the shortcomings.

I think i won't invest more time and money in 14.8mm drivers, i like the form factor but 15.4mm offer better value and variety.
High quality 15.4mm drivers in small metal shells are probably the only solution for people with small ears like me.

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #4,224 of 4,726
Newbie posting here, just wondering if anyone has done a build with the same driver in an mx500, hybrid shell, and a dp100 shell?

Was wondering which is the best for comfort, without compromising on acoustics. I have used a few mx500 earbuds, and they fit fine, but are not the most comfortable I've had on.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #4,226 of 4,726
Hi to all the people!

Can you recommend me high impedance drivers please?

If you can attach the link of the driver that would be nice :). I will appreciate any recomendation a lot guys, seriously a lot
300ohm BG: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966949381.html
150ohm BG: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002096357615.html
120ohm LCP: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002539743673.html
130ohm Bery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047315914.html
etc.
You can explore by your self in the same store or on other stores.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,227 of 4,726
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #4,228 of 4,726
Hi to all the people!

Can you recommend me high impedance drivers please?

If you can attach the link of the driver that would be nice :). I will appreciate any recomendation a lot guys, seriously a lot
Im new here but here is my personal opinion of several high impedance diy driver that ive tried

This 3 driver shares a very similiar soundsig which is balanced and slightly minor difference, but definitely noticeable

400 ohm graphene, the flatest of 3, slightly towards balance, maybe rolled off low and high
500 ohm beryllium, thicker sound, warmer than both
600 ohm beryllium, balance and slightly boost on low and high

Then there are these cheaper driver

150 ohm blue glue, stock sound is warm, punchy bass, slightly dark for my taste
300 ohm CNT, carbon nano tube, definitely dark, very similiar of ve zen 2.0, if u like the zen u probably like this driver

For the link you can check rary diy guides

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,229 of 4,726

I received the 150ohm Shoonths, i've been listening and retuning them for a couple of days and i must say that i like them but for the price i wouldn't recommend them.
The stock sound is balanced, SQ is below average for the price, imaging is good except for the center channel which feels very blurred.

In addition to the drivers they sent me 3 thinner than usual HS, 4 foams and 2 engraved shells instead of the shiny ones present in the photos (the worst kind, really low quality, don't use them).
The drivers are just standard PET, not Titanium as i hoped and Chitty didn't even bother checking them since i received one unit with a crooked and almost detached PCB which i fixed with glue.

IMG_20220413_191919.jpg

IMG_20220413_211712.jpg
IMG_20220413_201255.jpg

My initial impression was that they sounded surprisingly well balanced but too thin and bass light. After graphing them i couldn't but confirm what i heard.
The FR follows my target curve perfectly but lacks energy below 200hz. That bump around 200hz is a little annoying since it makes bass punchy but weightless.

1650299875689.png

I tried retuning them with white tuning filters and medium HS but the stock sound is definitely the best (Stock= normal shells with the provided HS).
I suggest using them with donut foams.

1650300254762.png

Some kind of bass enanching mod is needed but the rest of the FR is almost perfect.
They are probably the best tuned stock drivers i tried (minus the anemic bass), i just wish they had better technicalities, at least on par with the big boys in the price range (120LCP, 130Bery).

They would be a solid rec if they were around 10$ bundled with the advertised shells but for the current price i would rather spend 2$ more and buy the LCPs.

IMG_20220416_181320.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #4,230 of 4,726
I received the 150ohm Shoonths, i've been listening and retuning them for a couple of days and i must say that i like them but for the price i wouldn't recommend them.
The stock sound is balanced, SQ is below average for the price, imaging is good except for the center channel which feels very blurred.

In addition to the drivers they sent me 3 thinner than usual HS, 4 foams and 2 engraved shells instead of the shiny ones present in the photos (the worst kind, really low quality, don't use them).
The drivers are just standard PET, not Titanium as i hoped and Chitty didn't even bother checking them since i received one unit with a crooked and almost detached PCB which i fixed with glue.

My initial impression was that they sounded surprisingly well balanced but too thin and bass light. After graphing them i couldn't but confirm what i heard.
The FR follows my target curve perfectly but lacks energy below 200hz. That bump around 200hz is a little annoying since it makes bass punchy but weightless.

I tried retuning them with white tuning filters and medium HS but the stock sound is definitely the best (Stock= normal shells with the provided HS).
I suggest using them with donut foams.

Some kind of bass enanching mod is needed but the rest of the FR is almost perfect.
They are probably the best tuned stock drivers i tried (minus the anemic bass), i just wish they had better technicalities, at least on par with the big boys in the price range (120LCP, 130Bery).

They would be a solid rec if they were around 10$ bundled with the advertised shells but for the current price i would rather spend 2$ more and buy the LCPs.

Nice and thanks for the review! Yea i noticed some parts and drivers are double the price in chitty store. Maybe these driver need some sort of mod? I heard blox do some driver mod in their buds, i dont know how or which parts was changed. Maybe if you could figure out how to mod the drivers, they might turn out to be crazy good. Anyway just for confirmation the similiar driver i posted before is different, i asked the seller and turned out to be 32 ohm, so it is totally a different driver from the chitty store

Edit : maybe the titanium part was the dome?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back