DIY/T2 Electrostatic Amp Thread - General
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #61 of 80
Well well well. Very slick.
If you haven’t picked the knob out yet - I suggest silver chrome so that it’s a direct inverse of the standard.
Unfortunately the silver would stick out too much from the rest of stack’s color motif.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #62 of 80
Unfortunately the silver would stick out too much from the rest of stack’s color motif.
I cannot wholly concur given the tubes will match :)

1704400630107.png
1704400880460.png

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #63 of 80
There is an extensive thread for the T2 on Head-Case.
I looked at this thread, but much of the good stuff is in the files attached to these posts. These files can only be downloaded by registered Head-Case users. I applied for an account, but it did not get validated. I think the admins may have missed it, and I have no clue how to get in touch with them.
Anyways, I would be interested in consistent, up-to-date documentation of the T2 amp (circuit schematics, gerbers, set-up notes, etc.). Any pointers would be welcome.

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #64 of 80
I finally received my T2 after a year of waiting. Just hooked up a few hours ago and still evaluating.

IMG_8720.jpeg

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #65 of 80
Early impressions are overall favorable. For some reason with the AntiCables Lvl 4 XLR and the Oyaide AR-910 cables the there were several headphone that were noticeably negatively affected but not all of them. These were the 007, Omega/007 hybrid, 307 and 407. With the Norne Silvergarge XLR cables they sounded much better.

All headphones scaled with the addition of the T2 except the Lambda Signature. I actually still prefer it on the T1S. I am still on the fence on whether I prefer the HE 90 out of the HEV 90 or the T2. I think the T2 has more articulation but the highs (particularly the violin highs) with classical music can be piercing. The HEV 90 offers more body but is is a step or two back with treble articulation (but at least they aren’t piercing).

Better pics now that the sun is out:
IMG_8733.jpeg
IMG_8736.jpeg

The only negative I have right now is the hiss in the right and left channels even. I already messaged Kerry to work to get this sorted out.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #67 of 80
The hiss is audible with the volume at zero and with the XLR’s disconnected. It is unaffected by the position of the volume knob.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #69 of 80
Correct. I only mention the XLR being disconnected bit to rule out effects from the XLR cable or the DAC. The hiss is present and consistent in volume under all conditions with the amp on.

The only variable in loudness is the headphones. It’s easiest to hear with my Perun Rock headphones I assume because of the large diaphragm size.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 80
Mmm…possibly bad tube(s) but usually that would be on one side only…you can try switching up the tubes and see if the hiss goes to only one channel
Yeah Kerry had mentioned either that or the active battery modules as the usual culprits. I’m going to wait for him to pipe up with which direction he wants me to troubleshoot first.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #72 of 80
Early impressions are overall favorable. For some reason with the AntiCables Lvl 4 XLR and the Oyaide AR-910 cables the there were several headphone that were noticeably negatively affected but not all of them. These were the 007, Omega/007 hybrid, 307 and 407. With the Norne Silvergarge XLR cables they sounded much better.

All headphones scaled with the addition of the T2 except the Lambda Signature. I actually still prefer it on the T1S. I am still on the fence on whether I prefer the HE 90 out of the HEV 90 or the T2. I think the T2 has more articulation but the highs (particularly the violin highs) with classical music can be piercing. The HEV 90 offers more body but is is a step or two back with treble articulation (but at least they aren’t piercing).

Better pics now that the sun is out:

The only negative I have right now is the hiss in the right and left channels even. I already messaged Kerry to work to get this sorted out.

Really cool that you have the HEV90 and T2 to compare, would love to hear more thoughts over time. So sorry to hear about the hiss, I know that's a headache after waiting so long. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #73 of 80
TLDR: the Eksonic T2 with stock tubes provides a detailed and at times treble emphasized presentation where are the HEV 90 eschews the detail level of the T2 for greater presence in the lower frequencies.

IMG_8836.jpeg
Concerto No.1 in E major, RV 269. la primavera. 1. Danza pastorale
The Four Seasons: The Vivaldi Album
Annie Akiko Meyers

For this song the HE 90 through the T2 presents as very detailed but screechy. I feel that the violin was brought way too far forward and given extra emphasis during the crescendo. It’s like the microphone was placed next to the violin instead of where the listener would be seating to hear the entire orchestra. Way too much of the violin attack is communicated. That being said, I think the nuances of the violin are captured much better from the T2. The intonation of the music is followed better by the T2.

The HEV 90 by contrast did give the impression that listener was in the audience with a better balance between instruments. The bass and cello volumes rose and fell at a comparable rate as the viola and violin.

IMG_8838.jpeg
Baby I’m A Fool
My One and Only Thrill
Melody Gardot

With the T2, the nuances shine through and make the plankton level details uber present and enhance the song. The emotion of her voice is carried in those nuances and in my opinion your missing a great deal of the Appel of this song without them. If I had heard this song through the HEV 90 without an adversary to compare to I would say the HEV 90 was good enough but next to the T2, with this song, its deficiencies are clear.

IMG_8837.jpeg
Writings On The Wall
“Spectre” Soundtrack
Sam Smith

Same comment on the nuances as above. The emotions are in the nuances. The T2 wins for this.

The HEV 90 does outshine at preserving the singer’s place during the louder portions. With the T2, Sam’s voice doesn’t rise at the some rate as the background instrument so it gets buried during the crescendos whereas on the HEV 90 it stays at the forefront. I’d give the nod to the T2 on all parts of this song except this unenjoyable trait of burying the lead singers voice.

IMG_8839.jpeg
Jellyfish
8 Ensembles in 1 Bit
The Pipays

In this song there are only two sources of music, the female singer’s vocals and a bass. But, with the T2 I don’t feel like enough emphasis was placed on the sound of the bass. I view the bass as in a duet and it should be given equal representation with the signer. Instead, she is given a more prominent position in the song with the T2. This recessed voicing does not happen with the HEV 90. I wouldn’t quite go as far as to say they are equal partners with the HEV 90 but it’s close enough to be a convincing as a partnership.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #74 of 80
Still having issues with my T2 that have gradually become worse so hard to say at this point how much they may have effected that review. Working to track down the cause with Eksonic.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #75 of 80
Still having issues with my T2 that have gradually become worse so hard to say at this point how much they may have effected that review. Working to track down the cause with Eksonic.
Is this the hiss issue you described earlier when you first received it? I assume Kerry and you have been unable to pinpoint the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back