Do expensive hybrid amps exist? Do I need one?
Feb 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

coinmaster

1000+ Head-Fier
Farmington, Connecticut, USA, Earth, Milkyway
Hi! I'm looking for an amp with will give my HD800s soul with female vocals and electronic dance music.
I've been looking at the MKVI+ amp because it's supposed to far outperform it's price range but I've been told that since my music is a mix of classical, vocal, and electronic/house/dance music among other things(all in one song) I should buy a hybrid amp to handle the fast pace aspects of it while maintaining tube qualities.
Here is a small example of something I might listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGDBn2Tq2w

The problem with that is I see lots of hybrid amps in the $100-$500 range but nothing in the $1000-$1500 range which what I'm aiming at.

I want to buy once and buy right, I don't want to cheap out.

Does anyone know if hybrid amps even exist passed the $1000 mark?
Thanks

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Price isn't always in regards to performance. Lyr2 by Schiit is supposed to be in the arena with amps twice its price and it's $500. Don't throw away your money, use it wisely! Or if you're going to buy stuff just cause of the price, start looking at us Budget-fi members during the holidays!

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 3
I know that price isn't always an indicator of performance. Hence why I'm looking at the MKVI+ instead of the WA22. But I'm looking for top end performance and I find it hard to believe a $500 amp can handle it, even if the lyr2 was in the arena with amps twice it's price it would still be a $1000 amp. The MKVI+ tube amp is $770 and performs as well as amps 3-5 times its price, stated to me from multiple owners. It's not my style to buy cheap and end up upgrading to something better later. I want to buy once and buy right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back