Do I need a headphone amp?
Sep 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hogger129

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I have a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox installed, through which I play FLAC rips of my CD's and I have some purchased 256k AAC files on there as well.

I just ordered some Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  Currently I am using Bose OE2 headphones that I received as a Christmas gift.  They are decent sounding IMO but I want a good set of headphones to listen on in the home.

Will I get great sound quality out of these headphones without a headphone amp on them?

If you guys do recommend a headphone amplifier, which one do you recommend?  I understand FiiO is pretty much the gold standard.  But they have a few different amps.

Also, would a headphone amp between the Clip Zip and my AUX input in my car stereo have any effect on the sound quality?

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 4
  I have a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox installed, through which I play FLAC rips of my CD's and I have some purchased 256k AAC files on there as well.
I just ordered some Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  Currently I am using Bose OE2 headphones that I received as a Christmas gift.  They are decent sounding IMO but I want a good set of headphones to listen on in the home.
Will I get great sound quality out of these headphones without a headphone amp on them?
If you guys do recommend a headphone amplifier, which one do you recommend?  I understand FiiO is pretty much the gold standard.  But they have a few different amps.
Also, would a headphone amp between the Clip Zip and my AUX input in my car stereo have any effect on the sound quality?

ATH-M50 are bassy headphones, so good for someone that likes a lot of thump in their music.
(Not really recommended for surround sound gaming, like FPS (First Person Shooters).
And if you get them when they sell for $120-$125, your getting a fairly good price.
But if your looking for more mids & treble, and you can up your budget, you might find a little better then the ATH-M50s (but I guess you already ordered them)

Anyway, the Clip Zip can do a decent job of driving the 50-Ohm ATH-M50s.
Get if you wanted to try getting an amplifier to plug into the Clip Zip, maybe get the Fiio E11, $60.

You would not want to use a headphone amplifier between the Clip Zip and the aux input in the car stereo.
You would be daisy chaining three amplifiers, the one in the Clip Zip, the one in the add-on headphone amplifier and the one inside the car stereo, each one adding a little distortion to the signal.
But your welcome to try it and see what is sound like.

If you wanted to improve car stereo audio quality, buy a Fiio X3, load it with music files and then run a cable from the X3's line-out (not headphone out) into the car's aux input, sell off the Clip Zip for cash.
You would not need the Fiio E11 if you got the X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back