Do I "need" a Sennheiser HD600/650/660S(S2) series headphone?
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

noneuser

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

When I got into this hobby, the legendary headphone that I always kept hearing about was the Sennheiser HD600.

Well, that was expensive, so I started with some more cheap headphones.

I often found some great deals and my current better ones in my collection are:

- Sennheiser HD599
- Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear
- Philips X2HR
- BeyerDynamic DT990 Edition (250 Ohm)
- AKG K702
- Audio Technica ATH-M50X

So, I have some few. Nothing fancy or high-end, but decent enough, I think.

It happens that I really like the HD599's. They have a very pleasing sound that I really like (even for metal music - 90% of what I hear).

Well, recently the idea of having an HD6XX series headphones appeared...

BUT, given my the collection, would the addition of an 6XX series make sense, or in other words, be "wise" to buy? Or would be a waste of money as the need for them, given what I already have, don't justify it's purchase?

And since I already have the 599's, would you say they sound like 95% of the HD650 for instance?

Oh man... decisions :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 48
If I were you, I would look into getting a planar.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 48
Hi all.

When I got into this hobby, the legendary headphone that I always kept hearing about was the Sennheiser HD600.

- Sennheiser HD599
- Philips X2HR
- AKG K702

It happens that I really like the HD599's. They have a very pleasing sound that I really like (even for metal music - 90% of what I hear).

BUT, given my the collection, would the addition of an 6XX series make sense, or in other words, be "wise" to buy? Or would be a waste of money as the need for them, given what I already have, don't justify it's purchase?

And since I already have the 599's, would you say they sound like 95% of the HD650 for instance?

Not even close, the 650/6XX is levels even worlds above the 599 - as good as it is, as much as I love it's tonality, out-of-head sound stage and punch, it can't hold a candle to the 650's smooth perfection from mids to highs and unbeatable, true micro details it delivers at the price point. And we did not even start modding yet nor have we started thinking about tubes. This thing scales like crazy and then some.
There is nothing out there that beats it's price to performance.
There is a reason grizzled veterans like me with summit-fi gears gravitate to the two legends... Sennheiser HD600 and HD650.

Edit: Oh, and if you want the ultimate expression of the HD599 sound aim for a ZMF Verite.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 48
Are you really listening to metal on the DT-990?? I briefly owned them a long time ago, and more harshly produced black/death metal was unbearable to me due to the sharp treble lol.

Not everyone agrees on this but I think the HD-650 is one of the best metalhead headphones if you're on a budget. They do really well with those records that are harsh and not necessarily very well produced, but without being too polite to sound boring (this is where I know some people beg to differ). They still provide a very high fidelity sound though.

I also think it's nice to have one of the HD6xx headphones as a reference point, because it's such a common headphone among enthusiasts, so when comparing impressions it's usually quite easy to get impressions of headphone X versus the HD6xx, if that makes sense. I've had my HD-650 since around 2013, and I'm pretty sure I will never get rid of them, even though I have other better headphones.

They do sit in the same category as several of your other headphones though, so I don't think you *need* them, I suppose the alternative is to save up for the next tier, which IMO for metal is ZMF and Audeze, possibly Hifiman to name a few. Depends on how much you like swapping between headphones, do you enjoy having a big variety?

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 48
Hi all.

- Sennheiser HD599
- Philips X2HR
- AKG K702

I would suggest that you consider the 600 or 660s2. Both would be a terrific improvement. IMHO.

Leo

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 48
The Sennheiser HD600 would be a nice upgrade I agree. For IEMs the 7hz Zero:2 is amazing also and a lot less. The Truthear Zero Red is my favorite all around IEM. The 650 is nice, but might be too similar, though it resolves more detail than the 599.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 48
I would suggest that you consider the 600 or 660s2. Both would be a terrific improvement. IMHO.

Leo
(Still) way to expensive at current (discounted) prices imho. What did Sennheiser think?

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 48
I think it's worth a shot, especially if you like your current HD599.

I was unimpressed with both the HD600 (brief encounter) and the HD6xx that I owned for 11 months, but I'm a bit unusual in that reaction. They were some of the most bland, inoffensive and boring sets I've tried.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 48
Save up some money and get a used Meze 109 Pro. Incredible value considering how good it is. Once you got a taste of what’s possible with headphones you don’t want to languish on the 600/650 level any longer. I say that as a loyal Sennheiser guy but the times have moved on.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 48
I had (still have in fact) the HD599 and decided to upgrade to the 660S when it went on deep discount around the time the S2 launched.

My take? It's definitely a step up from the 599 - it has those iconic mids that the 599 simply can't deliver. BUT as it turns out I just don't find those Senny mids particularly exciting and compelling when they're the only thing on offer. What I mean is that I have other headphones with a W-shaped sound profile that deliver their own version of magic mids, and 19 times out of 20 I'll reach for those instead of the 660S.

Some people (lots of people here on HeadFi actually) love the 6-series to death and insist they everyone should own a pair or three. Personally I can take them or leave them. I'm not disappointed to have them in my collection, but I'm not stoked either.

My CAD $0.02

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 48
I don't think it's a bad idea at all to own a 6 series phone in one of it's iterations. It's a milestone headphone and they are affordable and well built. Made in Europe as well.

Just don't overpay for it (660S2). There is just nothing at all that justifies the price. It's even built exactly the same. I'll happily get one if prices align roughly with the rest of the line, taking Drop out of the equation for a moment. I am sure the others will be just as good in their own way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back