Do I need an amp? Help a noob out.
Dec 13, 2012 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MaskedPhantom

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I will first say that I am extremely new to the world of headphones. I have been shopping around for a new set and the good people in the recommendations thread have pointed me in the direction of the KRK KNS8400s, if I can get them for cheap enough. 98% of the time I will be using them with my 2007-era MacBook. The other 2% of the time I will be using them with an iPod. I have heard some say the 8400s are easy to drive, but I have heard others disagree with this. My MacBook was considered low-end for the time and is now painfully so in 2012, so I doubt that the sound card is anything fantastic. Do you think that I need a portable amp, and if so, what would you recommend?

I trust your wisdom. Thanks!

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Something like an ibasso d-zero would be worth a look, for the integrated DAC alone which should show improvement over onboard laptop sound cards.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the KNK 8400 ($149), fairly good sounding headphones,
but the Gemini HSR-1000 closed headphones are just as good sounding ($68-$88).
The Fiio E07K ($90) USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier would work with your Mac laptop (USB) and iPod (use LOD cable).
Using an amplifier for the iPod is kind of optional, for the kind of headphones talked about on this thread.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I apologize for the seemingly stupid question, but I just want to be sure. Can the E07K be used with a Shuffle? Shuffles have no LOD, obviously.

You can easily run a (analog audio) cable from any line-out or headphone output jack to the line in on the E07K.
That the way all portable (audio) devices without an Apple LOD port do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back