Do I need an Amp...?
Mar 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TechGamer

100+ Head-Fier
I mainly plan to use the Audio Technica ATH M50x, the Sennheiser IE80, Sennheiser HD 558 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 or my iPod Nano 7th Gen... 
My S4 has pretty ****ty sound output through high end headphones and therefore wanted to buy a Portable AMP + DAC for my setup.. 
But I don't know which one... 
I was considering the Fiio E17k Or the Fiio E07k.... 
Which one would suit my needs... 
Also I might use this on my MacBook pro rarely... 

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 8
  I mainly plan to use the Audio Technica ATH M50x, the Sennheiser IE80, Sennheiser HD 558 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 or my iPod Nano 7th Gen... 
My S4 has pretty ****ty sound output through high end headphones and therefore wanted to buy a Portable AMP + DAC for my setup.. 
But I don't know which one... 
I was considering the Fiio E17k Or the Fiio E07k.... 
Which one would suit my needs... 
Also I might use this on my MacBook pro rarely... 

The new FiiO X3K digital audio player should be out soon, you can use it as a portable audio player and it can also be used as an external DAC/amp with computers (like a Macbook).
So no need to carry around the Nano and leave the Galaxy in you pocket unless you need to make a call (or receive one).

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 8
But I heard that these Portable players have inferior amps and DACs as compared to dedicated ones...

FiiO DAP (Digital Audio Players) seem to use some of the same internal hardware that is found in FiiO's dedicated DAC/amps.
So I'm not sure I would use the word "inferior" to describe the difference between FiiO DAPs and FiiO DAC/amps.
Plus as the X3K is one of FiiO newest designs, it's benefits from FiiO past experience with building portable DAC/amps.

True that FiiO's dedicated portable amplifiers would have more power then one of FiiO DAPs, but your current headphones are not that demanding power wise in the first place.
I was able to get a FiiO X1 ($99) to drive my 250-Ohm Beyer headphone and the X3K should have a more powerful headphone amplifier.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 8
I am new to amps and DACs...
I don't know much...
But would the DAC on the X3K be better than the E17K or the E07K
And how about the iBasso dx50?

The E17K uses the PCM5102 DAC chip, where as the X3K uses a new revision of the CS4398 DAC chip.
I would guess(?) the revised CS4398 is a the better DAC chip, but audio quality can be affected by more then just the DAC chip used.

I push the X3K because you get everything you need in one device.

Not sure how the X3K compares to the iBasso DX50.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Aah... How about the X5...?
I actually started off with the idea of buying a dedicated media player...
But people on this forum advised me to buy a dedicated amp + dac....

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 8
  Aah... How about the X5...?
I actually started off with the idea of buying a dedicated media player...
But people on this forum advised me to buy a dedicated amp + dac....

I really do not do any reading on the FiiO X5, it's just a lot more money then what I would spend on a DAP.
A separate DAC/amp means you have to carry around two devices for music audio (usually you can just rubber band them together).
I just can't see a need to carry two devices when one will do a nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back