Do IEM front vents relieve ear canal pressure to reduce the chances of hearing loss?
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MonochromeFashionLawyer

100+ Head-Fier
I got sucked into a black hole researching whether IEM front vents relieve air pressure in the ear canal.
Primarily I was looking up to see if 64 Audio's Apex (Air Pressure Exchange) technology is legitimate.

I then came across a Reddit thread which goes deeper into the subject:

Potential Damage caused by sealed ear canal

So my question is this:
Do IEM front vents relieve pressure in the ear canal to reduce chances of hearing loss?

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 5
At the end of the day, what reduces chances of hearing loss is a combination of moderate listening level and some awareness about exposure duration(music and any other noises throughout the day). The loudest and the longest the session, the worst it is to the ear. Everything else is so far behind in term of impact that nobody should ever neglect those 2 variables by thinking a third one protects us.

If you have a vent, there is a reduction in the so called piston effect which in turn means less force put onto the eardrum, but if we just increase the volume to feel the same listening level, I don't know what benefit is left?
In principle it's probably good to have a vent, If only for when you insert and pull out the IEM, or if you don't manage to equalize the pressure after insertion(always try to, pull on the ear lob, move your jaw, use foam, anything goes if it breaks the seal long enough to equalize pressure. Also, insert and pull out gently!!!!!).
Over time those strong pressure event are probably not helping the ear, But I don't have data on how much actual pressure is applied and if it's bad. Short loud impacts need to be really massive to be considered damaging by all the safety research guys.
The other side of the coin is that with a vent, you're likely to hear more of the outside noises which in turn usually make you want to listen to music louder to cover up that noise. So I'd say that in a noisy environment, not listening to music and wearing IEMs or earplugs is the best choice, and listening to music using sealed IEMs with strong isolation would be the second best choice.
In a quiet place, vented designs would be my choice, if only because they often are objectively superior(noise floor from outside noises excluded).

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 5
The loudest and the longest the session, the worst it is to the ear. Everything else is so far behind in term of impact that nobody should ever neglect those 2 variables by thinking a third one protects us.
This seems to be the real true answer to hearing loss with IEMs. It just seems to be that there isn't much research regarding ear canal pressure.

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi MonochromeFashionLawyer,

This is an interesting ongoing thought of discussion that can go both ways.

Regardless of having a vented shell or a fully sealed shell, any transmission of noise at moderate to loud volume levels for a long amount of time, whether it's midway to long hours of listening to music with wireless earphones or wired iems on the go or at work, can cause some form of fatigue, and could possibly damage the inner ear in small increments over time, especially when we're so tuned in to our own selves and habits of listening to music at louder than normal volumes in public environments with a lot of ambient noise outside.

I have an incoming set of 64 Audio custom-fit iems (entry-level model, w/ m20 module) that I'm going to use for work (as my U6t and U12t don't stay seated well in my ears with a consistent/secure fit & good seal when I'm moving around and about in a busy work environment). My ciems should be done within the next three weeks or so.

When I get my ciems by that time, I'll let you know how it goes with pressure relief and fatigue in a follow-up post to this thread.

=)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back