Do These Have the HP1000 Drivers? :o
Feb 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello! Just wondering if these are the HP1000 drivers. They're the Grado SR200s.

img7082j.jpg

img7080.jpg

Thanks!
Leon

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 22
I say no, it does not have 'star' on the center of the driver. Also color overall should be black, not pink.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say no, it does not have 'star' on the center of the driver. Also color overall should be black, not pink.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Thanks!
Leon

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually the color of the driver overall should be white, not black, if they are HP1000 drivers. The best way to usually tell with the SR200s is with pictures taken from the opposite side of the headphone, through the grill itself. If the driver are white they are HP1000 drivers. If they are black they are not. The only black colored item on the HP1000 drivers is the little star cap piece, mentioned by wnmnkh, that is fitted in the middle on the backside of the driver.

LeonWho, if you can get and post pictures of the drivers from the opposite side we could provide a more definitive answer.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 22
those look like the pink transitional drivers to me. which would mean they are not actually Joe Grados, but John Grado drivers, between the Joe Grado SR200 with sr200 drivers, and the SR225, hence transitional. I've never heard them, but by reports, it seems they have a sound that reflects that as well- not as neutral as the Joe drivers, but not as colored as the John drivers.

I'm not sure they're the transitional drivers though
tongue.gif
. but any way you shake it, you've got a sweet, rare headphone there!

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those look like the pink transitional drivers to me. which would mean they are not actually Joe Grados, but John Grado drivers, between the Joe Grado SR200 with sr200 drivers, and the SR225, hence transitional. I've never heard them, but by reports, it seems they have a sound that reflects that as well- not as neutral as the Joe drivers, but not as colored as the John drivers.

tongue.gif

This post has been approved by Killercrush.
biggrin.gif

There wasn't any Joe Grado SR200 drivers... they were HP1000 drivers.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 22
Question for you guys- did these pink drivers start their life that way or they just turned pink over time? I have two pairs of black SR325s. One has very pink drivers. The other pairs are supposed to be almost unplayed (seller's claim. The box and cert do look clean)and the drivers on them only have a hint of pink.
Here are some pics of the Hp1000 drivers and my SR00(with HP1000drivers).
These should put the black or white questions to rest.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

This post has been approved by Killercrush.
biggrin.gif

There wasn't any Joe Grado SR200 drivers... they were HP1000 drivers.

I disagree, and thought them much closer to HP-2 than HF-1

SR200 with HP1000 drivers are not SR-200, but SR-200 bodies with HP1000 drivers to compensate for shortages in SR-200 drivers. I would say its hard to guess which is more or less common, nobody cares about real SR200 drivers and SR-200 with HP1000 drivers were regularly sacrificed to make various "hybrid" headphones. Think of it like 1964 1/2 mustangs with V8 engines. Its the right chassis to say "hey, I have where it all started" but not the right engine (a V-6).

There were "proper" SR-200 drivers built. They sound substanitally different from a SR-225, and more like a mini-HP2 to my ears.

My guess has always been that the "pink" drivers were caused by a bad batch of dye used in the pads on grado headphones around when john took over the company and started making RS-1. My guess is worth about nothing, so take it at that value.

The "black cloth" was originally rumored to be some pantyhose joe stole from his wife. It makes sense that they would not pick up color being black. Take that as being worth about the same as the above too.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree here
[...]
There were "proper" SR-200 drivers built. They sound substanitally different from a SR-225, and more like a mini-HP2 to my ears.
[...]

Let me correct my previous post, these aren't the transitional drivers, similar to the SR225 but the real SR200 ones.

What everybody wants to know, is there any Joe Grado era non-HP1000 drivers ?! I'm doubtful on this one.

When you say proper, do you mean the pink version as pictured above or something else ?? Because as far as I know, with all the pics I've saved over the years, there is only 3 different drivers that appeared in the SR200, the HP1000 black star drivers, SR200 pink mesh drivers and transitional white mesh drivers, similar to the black SR225.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 22
so killer, are you saying that the SR200 never originally sold with it's own driver? That the only reason it was cheaper than the HP1000 was the plastic enclosure, and the model always intended to have HP1000 drivers?

I always thought that the HP1000 driver thing was a mistake cause they ran out or something, and that the SR200, as originally made by Joe Grado, had it's own unique driver that sounded similar to the HP1000 driver because he voiced it the same way, but was cheaper, or otherwise didn't sound quite as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back